xavenger

What's ur weirdest skydiving dream?

Hi

I am a very new skydiver, with only 50 jumps under my belt and subsequently still completely obsessed with the sport. I wake up in the morning thinking about it, it invades my thoughts during the day and of late I have been frequently dreaming at night about it. I am assuming to some extent this is completely normal, because all my new skydiving buddies seem just as preoccupied.

Now, before Christmas I got in to "cheese" (that just doesn't sound right does it!) .. strong, mouldy cheeses in particular. Just delicious. I had always thought the statement "cheese" makes you dream was a bit of an old wives tale, without a tremendous amount of truth in it - but by hell, it really does make me dream. Every night I go on a new adventure. When I go to sleep it's like visiting an IMAX movie theatre for 8 hours.

Now what's particularly great, is that most of my dreaming has been about skydiving. Without so much as leaving the comfort of my home, I've done at least 6 jumps this week. On 2 of them I landed safely without a parachute (fortunately the CCI didn't see or I would have been in big trouble) on another I had an in-depth conversation with 2 of my instructors, whilst drinking some Coca Cola - in freefall of course - about whether or not I had a reserve - and last night, very scarily actually, I went in after a total mal and woke up quite startled.

.. It's ok though - because I fell asleep again, and it turned out I hadn't died in a skydiving accident but in fact I'd inherited a huge castle in Milan in to which myself and my girlfriend quickly moved in and lived happily ever after with our pet tiger?.

Now quite clearly, I am eating too much cheese before bedtime. I need to stop damnit! But this got me wondering what weird, wonderful or scary skydiving dreams any of you guys and girls have had in the last 12 months?

Incidentally, my dreaming was triggered originally after pulling a bit "too low" (for my skill level) one day and then me thinking to myself what a complete and utter total dick head I had just been. The skydiving dreams started that night.

Did anything in particular trigger any of your unusual skydiving dreams or was it just your general obsession with the whole "flying through the air like a bird" thing?

:-)

James

I had a dream last night that I was reading a book, told in the first person by someone who bounced. It was really weird. He was telling about his impossible pull, told the story all the way into the ground. (He apparently lost alti awareness.) But he was in remarkably high spirits, given the circumstances . . . :D

Kelly

Cheese & then off to sleep???
Plan on an increase in your your wing loading!..
Glad you posted this, cause I couldn't bring myself to do it...
Last nite - I'm dreamin, I got this new canopy,
it's got bamboo lines-kind of a rickety afair &
a very large 7-cell. My buddies are all jumping high performance canopies w/ panels down to the risers
and are packing them 2 at a time. (one with left-one with right)
Smoke alarm wakes me up. (LOW BATT)
???????????????????????????????????????????????
D

I've been grounded since last July due to a skydiving injury. My skydiving dreams are always about other skydivers doing beach jumps. I'm sitting there watching them come in and they are always scary landings... downwind, fast, in the water, etc., but no one gets hurt.

Mid-AFF I had about four nights straight of the same dream: full otter load, one of my actual JMs and I are AFF *instructors* for a student; we lose him at some point, somehow make it down first under canopies, and then have to stand there and watch him go in.

I can't say I'd be surprised if that's a typical level-4 dream...
blue skies
W

----------------------------------------
'Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.'
- T.E. Lawrence

I've had most of my skydiving dreams within the first 6 months starting skydiving.

The weirdest one is I am at a boogie (don't know where) and people are bouncing everywhere. I start to yell for help and someone said don't worry about it they are all just drunk. I walk over to where everyone was bouncing and they are all laying in a row and did start to get up.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

All of my skydiving dreams have to do with final approach and landing. I am never under a good canopy but I always land just fine. In one I had a few weeks ago, I was still kicking out line twists 10 feet above the ground, but everything somehow took care of itself. I had another where I lost my rig in freefall (????) but had the perfect landing.

My weirdest skydiving dream was 15 yrs ago during my static line progression. I can still recall the reality of it to this day....

In my dream I woke up in freefall flying perfectly on my belly with one young son hugged tightly under each of my arms....(only I was wearing gear.)

(mothers responsibility of 2 sons while training to skydive ----getting back at me!!:o )

SMiles;)

nice dreams guys...

most of my dreams seem to be about skydiving at the moments. the magority are about haveing double mals, but occasionally i get a wierd one!

hmmm.... i keep having one where im on my aff training, and the instructore doesnt give any ground skool prior to the very first jump!. for some reason when we jump he is attached to my front (like in tandem), and i almost successfully complete the jump because of my Dropzone learnt info, and then becasue im just below pull alti, the instructor pull's 4 me.

we land, and he simply says that ive failed, i complain about the lack of ground skool, but he says that you have to pass aff level 1 before you get it.!
(and now 4 day 2)
so the next day im at the dz again, and ask about the ground skool. the instructor ignores me and we go through the same jump again, with him telling me ive failed. this time however there is a newcomer to the course, who is also told that he failed the level. even though he did not jump because of arriving after the plane had left..

so after more complaining and getting failed for the 2nd time, i simply go into the dz shop, and buy a keyring. and then i wake up
!

ill tell you the other dream later if you want... its about a swimming pool style wind tunnel!

My weiredest skydiving dream was one of those really strage ones you have when you're sick. I was out with the flu on a NyQuil induced coma and dreamed I was crawling around in the clouds. There were ladders and jungle gyms in there and we were just playing around. Then I jumped, pulled and the pilot chute was all that deployed. I rode it in for a safe landing.
The flying hamster of doom rains coconuts upon your pitiful city.

Wow, It seems a lot of these dreams have a common thread. Landing safely without a chute, going in and not dying, friends bouncing and then getting up, no one getting hurt. It's interesting that injury or death is not an option to the unconscious mind when dreaming about skydiving.

death is not an option to the unconscious mind when dreaming about skydiving

Must be something to it, most skydiving dreams are fun for me, but when they do involve malfunctions, I never bounce no matter what goes wrong.

After my first (and only) cutaway I woke several times that night having just cutaway in my dreams, with my heart beating fast.

I have this other dream about Cheri Oteri, Lucy Lui, two sheep and circus midget, but I better leave that for another thread.
“Now click your heels together 3 times so you can return to Kansas to live in poverty with your teetotaling, dirt farming aunt and uncle!” paraphrased Prof. Farnsworth

I had one dream where someone went in and did not get up. After not thinking about the dream for a few months I found myself at the dropzone with this odd sense of deja vu relating back to that dream. That was weird. No one was hurt that day and I'm not sure why that dream would all the sudden be remembered at that point but just goes to show how the human brain does weird things.

Other dreams that were interesting was a time when I pulled and the canopy that came out must have been 1000 sq ft. I don't think I got to the ground I was just sailing around the sky. I had one where a had no gear but slowed down perfectly to land on both feet as soft as a feather. Another one I was base jumping but I was probably only 50ft off the ground so as I was deploying I hit the ground, got up and dusted off my shoulders then thought how stupid I was to jump from so low.:$

Well, unlike most people, I dreamed that I bounced... I was randomly doing a base jump, off a cliff I might add, and my chute didn't deploy and I promptly bounced...the weirdest part of this dream is that I have never been on a base jump before and I woke up from the pressure of feeling the ground on one side...freaky and weird...that one made me stay up for a while...:S
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Wow, It seems a lot of these dreams have a common thread. Landing safely without a chute, going in and not dying, friends bouncing and then getting up, no one getting hurt. It's interesting that injury or death is not an option to the unconscious mind when dreaming about skydiving.

Seems so. I used to have a reoccuring dream where I would be so involved in freefall that I would forget to pull and ultimately bounce. After getting up the only thing that bothered me was that I knew the DZO was gonna yell at me for not pulling. Weird.

I have dreams all the time where the canopy opens just as I'm touching the ground. But the funniest skydiving dream I've had occurred when I was doing my training to be a tandem master. My husband is an Instructor/Examiner and I had taken him on some of my practice jumps. I dreamt that we had an uneventful freefall and opening, but I discovered on canopy check that something was really wrong (can't remember what, now.) So, I said in my biggest instructor voice, (which approaches Minnie Mouse) "Hands in your harness, head back" and prepared to cutaway the main, and my husband starting arguing with me "You are not cutting away this canopy!" , etc., etc. I just repeated myself, grabbed his arms, put his back and away we went...

I woke up laughing my ass off.:P

I've had quite a few weird ass skydiving dreams. A couple times I've bounced and lived, seen others bounce and live. But I had a really strange one a while back where I was in freefall and a pair of my shoes were falling next to me. Then they started drifting off so I had to go into this mad track to catch them, they were my favorite nike's. Then once I finally caught em, there goes another pair about 500 ft away and off I go again. Then you know how dreams go-- I ended up on the beech or some crazy shit like that. The things your mind can come up with!!

I had a real strange dream a few nights ago. Found myself in Freefall with both main & reserve out but hopelessly tangled. (The dream started there, don't know how it happened). Reached for my cutaway pillow & could not find it. After some groping I realized it was on the wrong (left) side, where the reserve handle should be. Pulled the cutaway, it did not move at all. Reached for my knife & started sorting the lines to cut the right ones while realizing that I was too low already, I would not make it. Suddenly, all movement stopped & I looked up and saw that the lines were caught in a huge tree, from which I was dangling now, the ground just a few inches from my feet.

Funny thing is that I was not afraid at all in this dream, not even when I was sure that this would be my end.

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)