CrazyDave

Exersise

I would recommend stretching and being limber over anything else. Skydiving is not aerobics -- its air deflection and body manipulation. The ability to have and hold an arch, see over your shoulder, find your handles is the most important. Also being limber may save you from injuries should you land in a less graceful manner than you intended.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Yoga will definitely help you but it is not just about being limber. Alot of it is about muscle control meaning that you should only be using the muscles necessary for the exercise and relaxing every where else. This sounds simple but there is more to it than you would think.

Some general conditioning (light lifting, running, swimming, etc.) will help out a lot as well.

I think that any/all exercise will benefit you! Skydiving uses many muscles, depending on the type of flying. But, for AFF you will be arching, so good back and stomach muscles will be very beneficial. Cardio/stamina exercise will also be good. If you can get yourself involved in a 3x-week workout schedule, and just stay fit in general,... you will have no problems!

Angela.

It really depends on what kind of shape you're in.

AFF isn't such an issue because you're jumping with instructors, but once you graduate you might find that it's dificult to find people to jump with you, if you're heavily overweight, for example.

Generally, being limber and generally fit is all it takes. These even aren't solid requirements. Virtually anybody CAN skydive, but odds are you'll keep at it if you're not in terrible shape.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Stretching will most likely help you. As will general physical conditioning. Doing situps, pushups, squat-thrusts and roman situps wouldn't hurt.

Honestly, though, it doesn't really matter. No matter what sort of physical shape you're in, when you start jumping and the first time you do a couple jumps in a day, you'll find sore muscles you didn't know you had!

Oh, if you're a smoker, you might want to cut back some, since that'll make it easier to get hypoxia.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm not sure if there is much that can really prepare you for AFF. The only thing I would recommend is practicing your arch... it is the most important factor for AFF.. My instructor told me to practice my arch with my feet on the wall.

Hope that helps.. PM with any questions you have about specifics.

This winter I am doing chin-ups and push-ups to strengthen my arms for tandems along with sit-ups to support my weak back, knee bends to strengthen a weak knee, etc..
I also do stretches to increase my range and if it ever stops raining, will go for a bike ride to improve endurance. A side benefit of bicycling is that I am far more alert at 12,500 feet than the smokers.

Yesterday I got a new exercise ball and spent a half-hour falling off it while attempting push-ups, etc. Supposedly exercising with the ball will help strengthen balance muscles in my torso.

The bottom line is: find an exercise that you enjoy enough to do three or four times a week all winter long.
For example, one winter I swam three times a week. Swimming improved my morale and muscle tone immensely and come springtime, I flew much better than the previous year.