judedre

WHY JUMP BAREFOOT !!!

>Lets face it if you plan on landing on the DZ and the grass/ground is
>comfortable why not?

Cause if you hit hard you may mess up your feet, whereas even wearing sneakers may protect your feet. Of course, if you plan on having no problems, then that doesn't apply - but problems have a way of finding you in skydiving even if you plan to avoid them. Hence many people's insistence on things like helmets, reserves and AAD's.

>Yes shit happens but if that was your main concern then you
>shouldn't be skydiving.

I was an S+TA for two years and my _main_ concern was shit happening - how to avoid it and how to mitigate the damage when shit did happen. And it turns out you can do an awful lot to both avoid it from happening in the first place _and_ turn an incident from a life flight into some bruises and scrapes. It's up to each jumper how much they want to do to avoid or mitigate incidents like that, of course.

Well, I'm sure someone will eventually persuade me to do a Naked Jump, but I'll look like a big dork because I'll still be wearing my shoes!!! Heck, I can barely walk barefoot in the street, much less land in Mother Nature with nekkid feet.......OUCH!

Blue ones-

Shinda

An audience of 35 head of cattle was not exactly what I had in mind for that last landing.........

Cause if you hit hard you may mess up your feet, whereas even wearing sneakers may protect your feet. Of course, if you plan on having no problems, then that doesn't apply - but problems have a way of finding you in skydiving even if you plan to avoid them. Hence many people's insistence on things like helmets, reserves and AAD's

What could possibly go wrong?:P:S Refer to Murphy's law.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yeah, I know, after seeing a couple incidents, i'm a bit wary to go w/o shoes again. .. That said, I went without shoes only once, I had already done 4 jumps that day and was really confident in landing super softly. I thought the feel was awesome, though the newness kinda disturbed my concentration on keeping a fast and steady sit-fly. It was neat, tho. But, my landing, even though seemingly soft, could still have been softer on bare feet.

If it doesn't bother you landing on bare feet, and you can accept the possible consequences, then go for it!

Angela

OK so I am a low count newbie but I have seen our DZ safety officer jump barefoot and if I ever figure our how to stand up on a regular basis I will do it too. Lets face it if you plan on landing on the DZ and the grass/ground is comfortable why not? Yes shit happens but if that was your main concern then you shouldn't be skydiving.

Dude, I was just kidding about all that BSR crap.
Have fun. Go big. When you feel like you can nail those landings, you have ZoneRat's personal blessing to jump your bare-footed ass off! So does your safety officer.
:)

Well that will just show what kind of trouble a low count newbie can get into around here.:S

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am always amazed to watch Willie (skydive long Is)
swoop down barefoot and I would cringe with those
flashbacks of the stubbed toe syndrome when it would look like it got hit with a shotgun..AAARRRG
Willie is still the best. I would get concerned when I
showed up at the DZ and he had sneakers on, hence
put the rig away and have a beer. LMAO

I've got over 100 barefoot jumps and I love it (even on highly loaded canopies). My main concern with it is landing somewhere where there is sticky stuff. I wouldn't even mind landing on concrete like that, granted my feet are kind of hard.

I'd be warned of walking back and stubbing your toe on something. I've seen some nasty stuff where people stubbed their toe on the runway ;)

Never seen someone jump barefoot at my DZ and that is because we have something called "SHAGG".

S = Shoes!

H = Helmet

A = Alitmeter

G = Gloves

G = Goggles.

Straight out of the SIM. Hmmm... Methinks there's a reason the SIM is stressed. Safety, perhaps? I detect a theme here...

Blue skies and happy landings!

Never seen someone jump barefoot at my DZ and that is because we have something called "SHAGG".

S = Shoes!

H = Helmet

A = Alitmeter

G = Gloves

G = Goggles.
---------------------------------------------------------
Straight out of the SIM. Hmmm... Methinks there's a reason the SIM is stressed. Safety, perhaps? I detect a theme here...

Actually the "shoes" part of shagg refers to making sure the shoes are tied tightly and have no speed laces. So if you're barefoot, i guess you don't have to worry about shoelaces.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

>>Actually the "shoes" part of shagg refers to making sure the shoes are tied tightly and have no speed laces. So if you're barefoot, i guess you don't have to worry about shoelaces.

What's the problem w/ speed laces? (newbie asking)

/*
Mike Coles 'bluelip'
*/

G = Gloves

Gloves are a requirement? I only wear them when it gets cold.

About the only time I don't wear gloves is for naked jumps.

There can be all kinds of sharp pieces of metal on which to cut one's hands within and without the airplane, and it makes a slippery mess when you're trying to grab handles.

In addition, I no longer have the kind of calluses that allow me to grip the oddly shaped metal of some floater handles with impunity.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Yeah, I know, after seeing a couple incidents, i'm a bit wary to go w/o shoes again. .. That said, I went without shoes only once, I had already done 4 jumps that day and was really confident in landing super softly. I thought the feel was awesome, though the newness kinda disturbed my concentration on keeping a fast and steady sit-fly. It was neat, tho. But, my landing, even though seemingly soft, could still have been softer on bare feet.

If it doesn't bother you landing on bare feet, and you can accept the possible consequences, then go for it!

Angela

Angela, I was there and I remember the day I saw you and Rory jump barefoot out at Skydive Palm Beach. (Or was it after SoBe came down?)

When I first started coming out to train with Dave Cole back in the summer, I called first and asked if there would be an objection to me skydiving barefoot, and was told, "Hey, they're your feet, it's your decision. We do have lots of people who skydive barefoot so it's no big thing."

My first jumps back in '91 and '96 were in boots, because at the time I wasn't "living barefoot" like I do now pretty much all the time. If you see me in flip flops, it means I'm dressed-up. :P

Some have addressed the subject with me, particularly J.C. Perren. He did not browbeat me -- he's not that way. He's so cool about his suggestions and stuff. He simply said that it's something to consider, that I may land out some day and have to tromp through ugly shit to get home, and that's when I'll wish for shoes. Sooo... it's tucked in the back of my mind that yes, some day I may be jumping at a different DZ that doesn't have ACRES and ACRES of space to land on, like SoBe has there at Pahokee. Some of those other DZs will have far less hospitable surroundings, and then I may opt to wear shoes.

Until then, though, the idea of wearing shoes on my tough bare feet during a skydive, to me, detracts from the purity of the relaxation and peace I feel when I skydive. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I found I had to wear shoes -- but it would feel shitty if I were TOLD I was required to. That would be quite different from simply deciding that circumstances dictated I ought to.

Believe me, I've been living a "barefoot lifestyle" long enough to know that there are many myths that surround going around that way. For instance, people think it's against some law to either drive barefoot, or go into a shop or restaurant barefoot. It is neither. The health department has absolutely no regulations about the attire of customers in any situation. (So signs that say "Shoes required by Health Department", etc., are FALSE.) The AAA Digest of Motor Laws has entries for every state and U.S. territory, and a specific mention for each and every one that says "Driving barefoot is permitted"!! The myth is so pervasive that they specify that no, driving barefoot is not against any V&T law. The same is true for state and federal law: nothing prohibits bare feet ANYWHERE. But still, bare feet are discriminated against because of the shoe-company-inspired myth that human feet are weak and vulnerable and cannot handle being in the world outside of shoes. The fact is that shoes give support to feet, making them weak and further dependent on shoes. Kids who grow up barefoot develop strong muscles in their legs and feet. Kids whose feet are cooped-up in shoes all the time have feet that don't develop as well. (Hammer toes, bunions, etc. can all be brought on by confinement in shoes.) And that's not to mention that the only reason feet come to smell is because they've been sweating in shoes and the bacteria that make the smell just love a moist, dark environment in which to thrive! Also, no one has ever been able to explain to me their objection to my "dirty" feet around them, when I bring up the fact that my feet were scrubbed clean in my morning shower: were THEIR SHOES scrubbed any time recently? I usually get gape-jawed stares as a response. Really, how could my feet, which serve as my shoes, be any dirtier than someones shoe soles, which have grooves to trap shit like gum, dirt, and, well, shit? If I stepped in dogshit, it'd be cleaned off right away because hey, they're my FEET. I don't want dogshit remaining on my FEET. But what's the rush when someone in SHOES steps in shit? Oh, they don't like the smell following them around, but are they going to make sure to immediately get a thorough shoe cleaning? Not likely. So there's another myth, "Feet carry dirt and disease," shattered. Feet are no dirtier in general than the same shoes that people have no problem with you wearing into a store or restaurant. (I do generally wear my flipflops into restaurants in order to simply be able to get something to eat without having a big debate. After all, right or wrong, the proprietor can still set his dress code as he sees fit, justified or not.)

I'm a staunch advocate (can you tell) of freeing your feet, both in everyday life and in skydiving. Yes, there are risks. But 49 straight barefoot jumps have not harmed my feet, and I believe that a safety-conscious attitude about where and when and how to jump is largely responsible for my continued barefoot skydiving success. We all know that the choices we make can result in more or less safety. If you opt to leave your feet bare, there are other things you can do to aid in preventing foot injuries. Yes, if I downsize to a 135 and start swooping like mad, I may eventually wish to try it first with shoes so I can get used to it, but otherwise, don't look for shoes on these feet! ;)

Peace,
---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I am always amazed to watch Willie (skydive long Is)
swoop down barefoot and I would cringe with those
flashbacks of the stubbed toe syndrome when it would look like it got hit with a shotgun..AAARRRG
Willie is still the best. I would get concerned when I
showed up at the DZ and he had sneakers on, hence
put the rig away and have a beer. LMAO

Willie's been jumping in sneakers lately here at Skydive SoBe -- only because it's been too COLD for him! :ph34r: I saw him switched from bare feet to sneakers one day and asked him what's wrong?! He said it was the cold at altitude.

I'm from Long Island originally as well, and I am just more staunch in my preference for jumping barefoot, so through our Florida winter I've not put on shoes. I can tolerate cold, and by the time I pull, it's warm again.

Here at SoBe there are several other regular barefoot jumpers, and occasional ones. Kim, Rob and Lisa all jump barefoot steadily. (Kim hurt her ankle recently but would have in shoes, regardless. More or less, who really knows?) Rob hurt his arm on his mountain bike, so that's why he's been grounded for a few weeks. Nothing to do with jumping barefoot.

There are load of barefoot jump pics on Brian Germain's video and book "Vertical Journey." Some are modern, some are obvious '70s pics. Brian is extremely safety-conscious, as those who know him must be aware. Still, he doesn't seem to mind. :)
If it feels good, dooooo iiiiiiiit!

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

In warm weather I usually jump in Tevas. They can be fastened loosely enough for comfort, yet snugly enough so they will not come off and hit some one. The Velcro holds up better than on some of the leather-type sandals.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

when I did my tandem (very first jump) in July in Playa Del Carmen (mexico)...my TM jumped barefoot. Interestingly, it's one of the things most people comments about my pictures of my first jump. heh.

I figured that he did it because we land on a beach....but he also walked to the airport/plane (which was a little ways away) barefoot and didn't blink. It was obvious that he didn't wear shoes very often. B|

I would love to try it...but only if I was going to land on a beach (and a 'clean beach'...no big rocks and things)...because my poor feet that are always shoed are so sensitive now...

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Hey...has any one heard of tevas? Like having barefeet, but at least some degree of protection.

Again, as long as everything goes right, see Murphy's Law post above.

I have a 7 stitch scar in the top of my foot and a forever numb big toe from a Teva landing that didn't go right.

Underline correction.