freeryde13

how many failed aff levels before graduating or so far

Fail AFF Stage 6 3 times ( turns) I would either not put enough effort in for the turn or too much and spin up. The rest of the stages were sweet B|

I wont even mention when I did SL a few years back... I did about 20 jumps and think failed more then I passed :S

I'm an AFF Instructor, so I havn't voted in your poll. I was a Static Line student, but I have over 1400 AFF dives.

I've had students move through the 8 levels in a weekend without a repeat.

I've also had students do 23 jumps to graduate the AFF program.

Most are somewhere in between with 1 or 2 repeats.

I don't charge a fee for repeats. The student pays slots, rig hire and pack jobs only on a repeat level.

I see it from the point of view of being contracted to graduate the student off AFF for a price. I see no reason why I should be rewarded financially for a student who I'll learn more from than the "perfect" ones.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

However, failing levels doesn't mean you're a worse skydiver - sometimes quite the contrary. All depends on the person - and the DZ! ;) Some are much harder to get through than others! I've seen people ace their AFF only to get unstuck on WARP or always land badly... [:/]

I had >6 repeats, but got to my "B" licence in next to no time and have never had any issue with canopy control. B|

Happy landings...
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

1 level. I had to do a level 3/4. When they released me on my level 3, I realized at that point exactly how stable my instructors were keeping me. When they let go of me, I started turning...and turning...and turning...:D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Failed level 3. . .dive was absolutely beautiful, but I didn't save my own life (read: Pull) so I had to repeat.
FGF #6
Darcy

Passed them all B| - but almost had to repeat AFF3>:(: my altimeter stopped at 6500'...my pull was to be at 5000'. Jumpmaster gave me the pull now signal as I was reaching for the handle :) . Video showed I was looking at it and aware of what was going on...video paid for itself that day! ;)

He jumped with the altimeter on his next jump and grounded it :o . I bought my own altimeter the next day!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

i wish you had been my JM when i was doing AFF.

Although i passed all levels first time, the thought of failing and having to pay a fortune to repeat was always at the back of my mind. [:/]
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I voted failed more than six.

I actually made a proxy vote for someone else I know because I did S/L. The guy I knew needed 22 AFF jumps before he graduated :o

And before the arguement starts again - S/L is better because it builds character ;)

I learned static line and failed my first practice rip-cord pull.....................failed one 15 second delay....and failed Level 5 aff..........and i have 17 jumps in........so 3 fails.............but I just laugh it off and try again.............

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

Look, its not a failure, its just an opportunity to truely learn a skill that is important, something that you will be building on as you continue as a skydiver.

So you have to go do another skydive...HOLY GOD! Not ANOTHER skydive, man anything but that, don't make me go back up there jump out...man I hate that! ;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Look, its not a failure, its just an opportunity to truely learn a skill that is important, something that you will be building on as you continue as a skydiver.

It's an expensive opportunity. I was always worried less about the failing and thinking more about how having to repeat a level would mean less money to spend on cheaper dives later.

I failed a crapload of SL PRCP, maybe like 5 or 6 of them several years back. But those jumps were only $45 a pop so I didn't really care. But during AFF I was more scared of failing the level than I was of the dive itself.

Failed my first 45 Second Delay - that was it. My coach had just gotten her license, & had failed to brief me of the appropraite dive plan, and after she had passed me, the S&TA requested that I do it again. I was a little ticked[:/]
=========Shaun ==========

I didn't fail. Although, I thought I should have failed one of the levels. The instructor told me to just stop being hard on myself. It's all good. :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Thanks, Aggie Dave, for reminding folks it's NOT a 'failure', it's an opportunity to learn. Call it a repeat if you must, but not a 'failure'!

What matters several hundred jumps out of AFF is what kind of skydiver you are...safe and happy and still jumping. Besides, all the jumps count in the logbook. :)
Attitude is everything!

I failed my first attempt at Level V and was 1/2 towards failing my 2nd attempt in the air when all of a sudden the light in my head clicked and I've never looked back. I feel I still suck, I just don't suck as much as I used to.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over