cocheese

What was the coolest thing you ever saw as a spectator in skydiving

Not really cool, in fact way uncool, but memorable nonetheless-

Doign revision training as a student with about 5 others and an instructor (skydog/Bryn), and was just going through 2 canopy out procedures, and heard someone shout "two out". I thought "yeah, we're doing them", when I looked over the instructor's shoulder to see a nice biplane.

Bryn said "like that", then, "another one, never seen that before", as second biplane turned into a downplane at about 200ft. Bryn shouts "chop it (name witheld), you stupid fucker", which he duly did, and had a nice three second canopy ride down.

Moral of the story: don't be turning points head down coming through cloud at 2000ft. If you do, use a cypres!

P.S. Get well soon Bryn!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Standing near the ditch at Deland in the late 80's watching some guy with a really small Sabre (97) I think, going downwind then hooking it and swooping the ditch with his body out of sight in the ditch then finishing by popping out of the ditch and land beside the ditch. Scariest looking thing I had ever seen at the time.

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

I always wanted to see a world record from the ground, but the closest I've come is one of the women's world record attempts. Didn't want it enough to sit one out, but from talking to the people there, the experience of watching it sounds really cool.

Watching Ernie Long and Levi Green pull at 400' over the packing area at Freek Brothers in 1985 in front of Roger and the Mayor of Freeport, IL. The cool part was when Roger walked up to them after they landed, pulled their reserves and tore their wristbands off.B|

How ya' doin' Ernie? I'll be up to see ya' in a couple of weeks to say hi. ;)
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Going through Airborne School and was
watching Black Hat give Instructions on 250 ft
Towers when all of a sudden. Dude Jumped
from Top of Tower and "SMASH "..
Hit the Ground like a Ton of Bricks..

I said Damn that was a DEMO...
Kinda scared me that Shit looked Real..:D
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

...besides the assorted buzz jobs,,one Otter landing really impressed me.... The pilot parked that otter
onto the parachute landing area,,, right past the pea gravel. and had it STOPPED,, in about 75 feet...
Kicked up a divot or two, as well...:SB|
Early on in the days of CReW... while many of us were still jumping rounds,, I was using a round,, and my buddy docked on me from below with a strato-cloud... he had to bury the brakes to stay compatible with me.. and we flew that for a few thousand feet,,, but it was really "sinking'. I also witnessed TWO PC's in a canopy stack, with a couple of lightweight jumpers flying it.... Those guys,,Rick Costa and Tim Cawley,, brought it right down to the deck, After getting positioned relative to the wind, they landed one after the other about 10 meters from the pea gravel...;)...

Watching then following out a Mr. Bill jump. That is always nice to see work but the cool part was after landing looking up and seeing the pax basically make a Wingsuit BASE jump from the parachute. It was cool to see a long delay with the wingsuit from the other jumper. The guy with the wingsuit then came in and hit a dead center.

Just one thing that pops into my mind, I am sure I could think of a bunch more... but that was cool.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

>...besides the assorted buzz jobs . . .

I think the coolest buzz job I've seen so far was the DC-3 at the brewery in Montana. It circled around and lined up on the runway. There's a 40 foot rise in the field before you get to the brewery, and the pilot set up a little before that. He got so low that I could see the top of the fuselage before pulling up and over. He got Amy to duck.

Another one was the jet at Quincy one year. He set up a descent over the tents and pulled out of it at maybe 200 feet. It being a 727 and all, the plane continued on its trajectory due to momentum for maybe 50 feet before it finally started climbing. One of the few times I've really wondered "is he going to make it?"

Oh, my bad, it wasn't late 80's, I had to be 90's as I was in Orlando for a conference, thought going to the drop zones on the free afternoons was much better than golf or the other stuff they had scheduled. Went to Deland one afternoon and Z-hills the next day and did a tandem for only $80, they had just started the summer special. 13.5k from a CASA, tailgate was cool.

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

Being under canopy, seeing another pop open within a few hundred feet of me, and watching the camera man keep falling. The difference in fall rates made me realize just how fast we fall(I was still on student status at that point). It amazed me how fast he fell at that low of altitude and slowly turned over to pull. It was shocking to see him rushing towards the ground and appear so calm and relaxed.

woa....that was cool....

I attended a mini-airshow at a big paragliding festival in St Hilaire, France, last autumn.

The town, spectator area, and paraglider launch are all on a plateau on the side of a mountain ridge, with a wide valledy 2500 ft below.

During the airshow Loic or one of his buddies jumped at a normal altitude, flew his wingsuit until over us spectators, and at about 500 ft above us turned and glided out into the valley, around a corner of a ridge, to deploy somewhere out of sight down below. (He was being conservative with his distance from the crowd, given his skill level, whatever the French air show regs may have been.)

When a Twin Otter dropped an RW load over the valley, we could watch the 20 way split up, track away, and then deploy level with the crowd. How odd to be standing on solid ground while looking towards the horizon at jumpers deploying.

(Although not skydiving, the aerobatic aircraft acts looked impressive too. A plane could pull up from below the lip of the ridge, do its gyrations, and disappear down below again.)

A unique perspective for an airshow.

...and, i may as well have been a spectator on my first attempt at a four way our of a beech 99.

we all were to exit together, and i was the far inside man. the other 3 - C/D licensed jumpers said we were all off the count, but i think they were being nice. i think i got a little agressive on the push out the door, as we were just all in a head down pose helmets to helmets. basically a big pile of skydivers!

it looked really cool to me at least. i was like "hey, how you doing?" you rarely get to see what the EYE COLORS are of the people in your formation! haha;)

Holy shit I'll never forget this. I was at a pretty big boogie in 2002, and I was standing at one end (on the inside) of a very, VERY long tent, used to accomodate all the packers, and manifest for every plane. Suddenly I hear something scrape the top of the tent directly above where I was standing, so I run around the corner to see JC Colclasure dragging a toe across the top of the tent from end to end, then walking away like nothing had happened. If ever I have seen something in my life that was BADASS, that was it. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.