TXBLKBEAR

Should I carry a Hook Knife?

Skypup had a good poll about forgetting your hook knife. It got me to thinking. I am new to the sport (82 jumps) and my DZ is great. The instructors are world class and we have jumpers from all over that now call my DZ home (My DZ, thats funny). I was never told anything good or bad about a hook knife.

I see some jumpers with them and some without. I never really thought of asking before now. But what do you all think?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Airborne!

What will happen if you have a line over on a reserve? With a hook knife you can cut the brake lines and land with rear risers. Without one, you're dead.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. They don't take up much space and can save your life.

What will happen if you have a line over on a reserve? With a hook knife you can cut the brake lines and land with rear risers. Without one, you're dead.

i don't think it's as simple with reserve line over. if you have a line over, chances are you'll be spinning.
under stress choosing right lline and cutting it is not easy. and under tension, hook nife will easily go
thru all the lines instead of one. so it's easier to make situation worse.

this scenario was discussed many times here and i think there is no definite answer. but i guess it doesn't
hurt to have a hook knife for other situations.

stan

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Unless you're into CReW, hook knives are only to be used as a last resort on your reserve canopy (such as a line over on your reserve). Chances are that most of us will never need to use it, but it's nice to know that it's there. Also, it's not a bad idea to carry more than one as I was told by our local CReW dogs that there's a decent chance you will drop the first one when you go for it. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

While on student status at Skydive Lake Thaoe, I saw video of a hook knife flying out of its pouch on opening and cutting a bunch of lines on his canopy. I was too new to notice which lines, or how the knife was secured. I wish I could find the guy that had that, all I can remember is that he was a member of the Coast Guard.

That's a reason.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

We do have a great DZ with world class instructors. I've had questions about hook knives too and while there will be one on my new rig (when it comes in) I have to admit I would not know when or how to use it. I plan on asking before I carry one up though.

As a tangent to the discussion where did everyone that does carry a hook knife learn how to use it?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

As a tangent to the discussion where did everyone that does carry a hook knife learn how to use it?

Erm, I asked why during my flight-line checking brief. I'd almost guessed as much, but I regularly see people getting checked out with no idea why they need it (except because it's mandatory). :S

I guess many people are happy to take a lot for granted. [:/]
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I recall an incident at Skydive Arizona about 10 years ago. The jumper's reserve opened when she was backing out of the door, pulled her out, and wrapped around the tail. She was left dangling there behind the plane. Fortuately, she HAD a hook knife and used it to cut away reserve parachute. She then freefell, deployed main and landed safely. Now, think about possibilities of solving this mess WITHOUT a hook knife... .

Couple more notes:

- Obviously, metal knives are better than plastic ones (those can break easily).

- It is not advisable to connect the knife to your rig thru a lanyard. If you are afraid about dropping your knife, use two, three, four of them, whatever... There was an accident where a knife (connected thru lanyard) fell out in freefall and slashed some lines on jumper's canopy during deployment. Moreover, holding a knife that uses lanyard in your hand creates a mini "horseshoe" that can trap things.

- Hook knife costs about the same as one jump...

- Obviously, metal knives are better than plastic ones (those can break easily).

Depends on the plastic knife. The cheapie orange plastic knives can and probably will break easily. Square One sells a polycarbonate knife that is darn near unbreakable - I know, I've spent way too much time trying to break the sample they sent me. Same shape as their 4" metal hook knife. Available at many fine equipment retailers. ;)

i don't think it's as simple with reserve line over.

Most line overs are brake lines. It's not that hard to find them, they have those bright yellow handles on the end. ;)

i know that :) sorry if i worded it wrong way. it's hard to get a hold on offensive line, even if you know
it's a brake line. they all close together, maybe twisted, you're spinning, your protrack is screaming,
you're trying to get a hold of it and cut it, bad move and here goes your riser.

i'm not trying to say that having a hook knife is a bad idea. just wanted to point that getting rid of the line
over using a hook knife is not as easy as one can think.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I got one right after live water training, I want it for that (if nothing else). The 3rd time in the pool the lines sucked up around my legs as I was going up under the canopy to get a breath from an air pocket, I went back under to finish removing my harness (I did get it off) but as I tried to swim away the lines wrapped my feet together, had to be drug out as I was very low on air again, and I am a pretty strong swimmer. Just something else for you to think about.

Edo
Concumbui
Aethrae Cernuare

Excellent point!! I didn't own one until I watched some NASTY AND SCARY CRW video after hangin' with some dawgs a couple of years ago. It doesn't hurt to have one and I agree with the others in the forum - they're inexpensive and may prove indispensible!!;)

Dare to dream and then make it happen!

Search this topic in past posts here and on other skydiving resources, if you haven’t done so already, and discuss the issue with trusted jumpers at your local dropzones. Call resources like Paraconcepts, Paragear, RW and SquareOne, and then decide for yourself whether it’s worthwhile gaming with a knife, since the tool is only as effective as your preparation for using it.

The scenario you described is reason alone to carry a metal hook knife IMHO. Premature reserve deployments in the door do happen occasionally, as off- balance jumpers tend to grab whatever they can reach and jump craft airflows tend to follow a path from the exit door through the elevators. The foreseeable result is you could be entangled with empennage and the pilot unable to land on a grass strip, so the best way to avoid tie-dying the tarmac with your body parts is what. Rely on pilot/passenger heroics? I personally prefer to trust my practiced skills with a small metal hook knife that only weighs a few ounces and can double as a bottle opener in a pinch. Significant effect if you have one when you need it, negligible penalty at most other times.

You may wish to consider the fact that John LeBlanc told me recently a hook knife can make short work of Slinks on reserve risers.

Also consider replacing “empennage” with “previously unnoticed jumpers and their equipment entangling my immediate universe under canopy at 1,400 ft” or “some obstacle I landed on” such as a juiced power line that you didn’t see until it was too late and you’re hanging there waiting to be fried by a whipsawing live wire or you’re submerged in a body of moving water with your swollen chest strap jamming the buckle and the canopy has changed roles to your anchor.

Why be hook-knifeless and un-practiced under these circumstances? I like to consider what this guy did with his hook knife and the impact that reaction had on his future prospects: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=225767#225767. My personal choice is I tend to carry at least one metal hook knife from Paraconcepts, Paragear, RW or SquareOne (exceptions apply) -- check it out and C’Ya.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO