JENi4MYERS

Pop quiz my fellow skydivers

I looked into it not long ago. It's wasn't real hard but it was really expensive. Something like 170/month for 250,000 coverage.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I received quotes and I believe that coverage for skydiving was an extra $2.50 per $1000 of coverage. Which comes out to an extra $625 a year for $250,000 of coverage. I am considering getting a life policy that excludes skydiving and getting the accidental death and dismemberment plan that covers it. USPA sent something about Accidental D&D a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember how expensive that coverage was, but I do remember that it didn't seem that expensive.

If you get into some type of group policy like through your job or the USPA sales flyer that comes out every so often it is not too bad. If you try to go out on your own and get a policy, it gets a little ridiculous!
blue skies,

art

Who are you?

Good point. No name, no jump numbers, no info.

But for everyone ELSE on this thread, I have been self-employed for the last few years, so I had to get my own insurance. I called a few companies and found a good policy at a reasonable rate, and they didn't care if I skydive. I guess they felt that there aren't enough people that skydive in the statistical population for it to make much of an impact.

If anyone wants to know who my carrier is and what my rates are, feel free to PM.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

From reading the other forums they have recently made their first tandem.

Also just looking into starting to jump...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1034561;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

But asides from that, and back to the question. Not sure. I *think* i get life insurance from work, but who knows. I have no dependants so if i do go i'm not too worried. Is that the wrong attitude to have?:S
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Is that the wrong attitude to have?

Depends on if you want a nice funeral ;) Even a small policy, if you can afford it, helps your family. Remember that they are going to have to take time out from their lives to settle your estate (even if your "estate" looks more like a patch of dirt ;)) It often takes 12 months to get all the paperwork settled from a death. Even well planned ones take 6 months or more.

If you never get life insurance, the best thing you can do is have a will that spells out clearly who gets what and how you want to be disposed of - and no, flushing down the toilet is not legal in most first-world countries. Don't forget to include that Riddler gets all your skydiving gear.

Funny you ask, I just got a policy last night from a company that didn't seem to care too much about it...

Some companies don't ask if you're a skydiver; some do. The ones that DO ask, I tried to get a quote from them online, and when I answered 'yes' to the skydiving question, they immediately came back saying 'ineligible'. [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Man, I realize this is only like my 4th post and all but yall seem like you're being kind of harsh. When you do something new, you have to do it for the first time before you can become a pro. I'm sure yall all remember your first tandem dive and your first post on this forum. I guess since I only tandem right now and am looking into getting a license that makes me a dreamer not a skydiver.

sorry guys

jen

No offense, Jen, but we get a lot of TROLLS on these forums, so we're picky about posters. You will get more credibility if you go to your profile and enter your name, where you jump, etc.

Oh, and there's some debate among skydivers about whether someone that just has tandems is a skydiver. Personally, I think anyone that jumps out of airplane qualifies as a skydiver, but I don't want to start that whole debate again :S

Edit - now that I know how to spell your name.

You have nothing to be sorry for, Jen. It would be helpful to fill in your profile if youre going to post in the forums, though. Thats usually enough to deter the troll-sniffers. ;)

To answer your question, I had no trouble getting life insurance through my job. Skydiving wasnt set as an exclusion.

I received a better rate for a D license and a Gold Wing!!!

Of course, the stats have all changed since then! Now, it's all the D-license skydivers that are getting themselves killed :S Best to say you're an A license jumper, I guess.

I guess they felt that there aren't enough people that skydive in the statistical population for it to make much of an impact.

Interesting choice of words. [:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.