CanuckInUSA

How much do you pay to get full altltude

Again, I think the point that Steve is trying to make is that the money isn't going back into the DZ, or is it? We might never know. Why do jumpers, who over years and years, voiced how they felt about the DZO, be forced to contribute to a memorial fund? Can I write that off on my taxes?

Also, the jumpers were told that the price rise in tickets over a year ago would bring an Otter to the DZ full time. It's called customer service.

BTW, there is no way in hell I'd open a DZ, I worked at one for a long, long time. I prefer my day job, it pays much better. A big pat on the back to you for doing what you do to keep jumpers in your area up in the air.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'd like to complain that I'm on staff at Mile Hi, and I'm always the last one to know these things ;) Hell, WFFC is out in another state, and I learn everything about what's going on at Mile Hi from him.

What's the charity for? Can someone forward me the email?

Answers to some questions I read:

1. The field elevation at Mile Hi is 5050 feet.
2. Other dropzones are pretty far away - on the order of 75 miles to the nearest, or 120 to third other major DZ, which adds up in gas when you have a truck that gets 15 MPG.
3. The price was $20 about three years ago when I started jumping. Went up to $21 last year, and I guess $22 now.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Then why do the experienced jumpers have to foot the bill? Why not raise the price of the Tandems? Hell, there's enough of them that come in.

From the original e-mail.

This year April 26th marks the one year anniversary death of the founder of
Mile-Hi Skydiving Center, Jeff Sands. The family of Jeff Sands has
graciously allowed the continuation of the skydiving operation in an effort
to preserve our memories of Jeff.

Mile-Hi Skydiving Center and the family of Jeff, together proudly announce
the creation of the Jeff Sands Blue Skies Memorial Fund. As a registered
charitable foundation in Boulder County, this fund hopes to contribute and
give back to the Longmont Community in many different ways. The family's
wish is to contribute to causes such as the development of parks,
playgrounds, children organizations, and other needs the community has in
Jeff's name.

Effective as of April 26th, 2004, Mile-Hi Skydiving Center will increase all
jump prices (Tandem, AFF and Fun Jumps)
by $1.00 to be directly donated into
the memorial fund. In addition to this donation, MHSC will match one
additional dollar for every jump made.

Once again, we are all extremely excited about this charitable organization
in Jeff's name. We very much look forward to giving to such a great cause,
as we are sure all of you are too.

Blue Skies!

Mile-Hi Skydiving Center, INC

Here's the rest of the facts:

And a few other things:

1. It sounds like Mile-Hi will be giving up a dollar per jump, as well as the jumpers paying a dollar more, to go to charity. That sounds like a good deal to me.

2. In addition to the things already mentioned, Mile Hi is building a brand new hanger that is big enough for the Otter and is right next to the landing area (no more trailer!)

I guess an extra dollar a jump doesn't sound that bad.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

As a registered
charitable foundation in Boulder County,

I guess I just need to make sure I get a receipt from manifest so I can use the write off too.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

At our DZ when you jump the Kingair the jump prices are as follows:

If you manifest before 8:00 a.m. - that jump is $10.00 (regardless when the load takes off - as long as you manifest before 8:00 a.m.)

From 8:01-Noon - jumps are $18.00

12:01-sunset - jumps are $20.00

So if you do the $10.00 jump and 3 $18.00 jumps you are really only paying $16.00 a jump.

Jump altitude is $14,000ft (usually higher).

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

To give some more perspective, we pay about CDN$35 here to 13K. Less 10% if we buy a $1000 block. CDN35 = US25.7

Apples and Oranges my friend. Your jump prices are a reflection of the lower Canadian dollar value and higher taxation. My poll is defective in that I was thinking American DZs not world wide DZs.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Actually I totally agree with you regarding the “forced contribution”. You should just think of it as another case of “those who know what’s best for us must rise up and save us form ourselves” Rush, Witch Hunt. It’s a price hike whatever you call it. In my opinion your DZ don’t really give a poop what the licensed skydivers want or think. Sounds like an “if you don’t like it, go to Kansas” attitude to me. There obviously in business to make money, and the money’s in the tandem business (skydive Las Vegas). I do think that if there was a will to find it, a common ground could be found. My theory is to try to charge my friends at the “break even point”, and to make my money form the student traffic. There are times when students and tandems take priority. I could buy a second airplane, and push up prices to cover the cost, but as I said it’s a compromise.

If you’re ever in the neighborhood, stop by! Our “little one Cessna dz”, is like a family (somewhat dysfunctional at times), and you’ll be welcomed right in!

Air Capital Drop Zone
Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Then why do the experienced jumpers have to foot the bill? Why not raise the price of the Tandems? Hell, there's enough of them that come in.

Effective as of April 26th, 2004, Mile-Hi Skydiving Center will increase all
jump prices (Tandem, AFF and Fun Jumps) by $1.00 to be directly donated into
the memorial fund. In addition to this donation, MHSC will match one
additional dollar for every jump made.

It really should'nt matter if the increase in price is for all jumpers.

IMO no one should be able to force anyone to contribute to a charity. How would you like it if the grocery store said you need to contribute $1 with every purchase made here today?

So why is a DZ different??

They can increase the price of their jumpticket to whatever they want, but they are out of line in forcing every jumper to make a donation on every jump. Even if it was tax deductible.

The appropriate way to ask for a charitable contribution is to encourage people to donate voluntarily. Not enforce it.

I would be very agitated if someone forced me to do something like this.

Kris.

I do not wish to wage war against Mile-Hi Skydiving (nothing good can come of it, war sucks no matter who wins) and I like Frank the acting DZO and think that the DZ has been a better place to be since he's taken over control. So if the DZ is capable of turning loads without having to make fun jumpers wait excessive amounts of time, then the added costs are easier to stomach. But this DZ has a history of treating fun jumpers as 2nd class DZ citizens.

What makes a DZ a good DZ I ask? I'm sure I'll miss something, but here's how I view it:

1) It has to be a fun DZ where people want to spend their time and it must be a place where everyone is treated with respect no matter what their skill levels are.

I wouldn't give Mile-Hi failing marks here, but they don't get good marks either.

2) It must be a safe DZ.

I feel safe at Mile-Hi (safe as in I know and accept that I could die Skydiving). But what might have happened if we had started to fly that unsafe Otter last year had Jeff not died?

3) It must be a financially healthy DZ (without a doubt tandems are a good thing here).

Mile-Hi is financially sound.

4) It must be a DZ where fun jumpers have the opportunity to better themselves.

In my opinion Mile-Hi does not get passing marks here. Like many DZs, it is a clicky DZ (and I'm not innocent as I'm part of the click) and many jumpers are just not progressing the way they would be if they were at a more progressive DZ.

5) Advanced coaching is a luxury many DZs don't have. But any sort of coaching sure makes a DZ better.

Some people are trying to make coaching available. Recently some experienced RW people did hold some camps (although while I was at Eloy last week, one of these people told me of broken promises the DZ made to these people concerning the financial costs of holding these camps), the CReW dogs are always looking for new victims, some experienced canopy people are concerned enough to offer some sort of canopy coaching to those willing to ask for it. And the DZ is starting to build a little tracking dive traditions (which can only help people). But still, the coaching that is provided is not the sort of coaching that will attract the out of down jumper to come for. There is no SDU nor is there any sort of freefly coaching.

6) A good DZ is a DZ where other jumpers want to visit.

How many of you out there come to Mile-Hi Skydiving to purposely jump? Very few I would guess. The only time we get out of town visitors is when they happen to be in town on business or visiting other people and they just happen to have their gear with themselves.

7) A good DZ is a DZ which offers financial incentives to jumpers.

Cheaper jump tickets are used by some DZs (not a luxury all DZs can afford), group packages and team rates are another tactic (once again something that not all DZs can do) and some sort of tandem referral bonus is often used by many DZs.

Mile-Hi gets failing marks here. It is a financially sound DZ which appears to only be concerned with maximizing it's minimal return they can get from their fun jumpers. And this herein lies the major disappointed I'm experiencing from the email I received last night.

So... I was thinking of stopping at a near-Denver dz on Sunday, May 16th around noon on a driving trip from Denver back to SFO.. where should I go? I was thinking Mile-Hi but i am unfamiliar with the geography... what is closest to my route back to SFO?

Thanks in advance.. B|
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

So... I was thinking of stopping at a near-Denver dz on Sunday, May 16th around noon on a driving trip from Denver back to SFO.. B|

Couple options depending on the route - Mile Hi is about a 35 minute drive (by the way I drive and where I used to live) from downtown Denver. King Air that flys fast and the Eloy Otter arrives on May 1 so it will be there too.
Other option if I-76 is on your route is Denver Skydivers About 90 minutes from downtown Denver and possibly on your way if that's your route. King Air too.

IMO no one should be able to force anyone to contribute to a charity. How would you like it if the grocery store said you need to contribute $1 with every purchase made here today?

I'll say it again: The price a DZ charges is, and will always be the maximum amount that they feel the market will bear. That is the nature of an unregulated business. This is tradtionally seen as a "good thing" (tm).

The fact that they choose to increase their jump fees by a buck is certainly a bummer for the clients how have to pay more, but it certainly isn't unethical, nor is it unfair. They're charging the going rate, and if you're going to pay it, then it is by definition, a fair rate.

Its also none of your business how they choose to spend their revenues, as long as they're providing a good service. It certainly sounds like they're pumping an adequate amount back into the business.

Lastly, the new higher rates are certainly inline with other seasonal turbine dropzones. It's not like their gouging you.

Their only mistake I can see is telling you that the extra buck was your charity contribution. They should have called it a "necesary fee increase", and then given the funds to charity on their own.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Thanks WFFC.. Proximity to my route is key.. I plan on taking 25 north to 80 and then west til I hit water..;) Mile-Hi is right on the way, so I'll stop there for a few.. if all my best laid plans don't fall apart on me.. :S
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

I lived in Colorado a couple years back, and jumped at Mile Hi a few times. I didn't learn there, but started jumping there as a fairly new jumper. Since I didn't know anyone there, I wound up doing alot of solos. Not once did an experienced jumper offer to jump with me. The few times I jumped with others was with jumpers fresh off student status that I spoke with.

After a few times there, I decided I didn't much care for it. I wasn't having fun. I didn't jump for 8 months. Then I found out about Brush. Night and day. I lived in Westminster, so Mile HI was 45 min away, and Brush was over 90. I didn't mind the extra drive.

I moved back to the Northeast two and half years ago, so don't know what those two DZs are like now, but from the sounds of this thread, not much has changed, I'd say go to Brush.

Oh yeah, to keep on topic, we pay $20, $18 if you buy a block of 100.

Tony

What makes a DZ a good DZ I ask? I'm sure I'll miss something, but here's how I view it:

You may have kind of touched on this, but I think a good DZ is where the hot shots don't have such a big ego. I can't stand it when a jumper with a lot of jumps acts like he knows it all or is better than everyone else. I think the big ego "I'm better than you" thing is the biggest problem with this sport.

Sorry to go off on a different direction from the thread.

Clint D-24352

You may have kind of touched on this, but I think a good DZ is where the hot shots don't have such a big ego. I can't stand it when a jumper with a lot of jumps acts like he knows it all or is better than everyone else. I think the big ego "I'm better than you" thing is the biggest problem with this sport.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread :o this is a huge reason why I think every up and coming skygod needs to visit Eloy. There are just so many quality skydivers jumping at Skydive Arizona that it (hopefully) serves as a wake up call to all of us up and coming "x" number jump wonders that there is always going to be somebody better than us.

I'd like to be part of a DZ where yes I do give back to the sport when I can, but also a DZ which attracts good skydivers to develop my skills with.

Perris charges $21 on the weekends (credit card price) and they don't have to climb to 18,000 feet or offer oxygen on the plane. Sounds like you're not getting such a bad deal.

Oh not to worry, Mile-Hi charges extra for Credit Card use.
Oxygen on the plane. Yeah, it' there. But if you are sitting in the tail of the King Air or the soon leased Otter, the hose isn't long enough. Bill, you know that oxygen doesn't cost that much! Besides, since we live here, most of us don't need to oxygen. Does that mean I get a refund since I didn't suck on the hose;)