somethinelse

Started with AFF...Finishing with Static Line

Can not afford AFF, any more...and haven't been able to pursue AFF anyways since summer of 2003!

Want to go Static to get my A license. Only way that I see it happening for me any time soon.

Any advice about what to expect when I jump from such a low altitude compared to AFF,?

Also, what should I do to prepare myself? Are the approaches to teaching jumping REALLY different?

Any words or tips that can help me would be great help. I really don't know what to expect.

Thanx - :)

I used to teach both, but awhile ago. Expect to focus on one or two things each jump (e.g. just getting a good clear and pull). You'll get to spend more brain cells on canopy control probably, because you're not trying to master 4 new skills on the freefall.

You won't get as much individual feedback from your jumpmaster, because they're not out there with you; if you want good feedback, you'll have to learn how to be aware yourself of what happened, so you can ask about the causes (e.g. "I was turning slowly, and I thought my feet were even -- what could cause that?). But your jumpmaster can see the exit, and the first part of the freefall.

It's just a different path, and you have a good reason for following it. Good luck.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You will most likely end up spending more money in the long run by doing S/L or IAD instead of AFF, but the jumps themselves will be cheaper.

Luckily, with the USPA's ISP it is very easy to switch to a different training method without loosing much.B|

Do what you can to get in the air!:)
Have you thought about seeing if your DZ needs packers or not? Packing is a good way to pay for your student progression.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

After a certain point (I think after the 15 second delays), the jumpmasters on static line will jump out with the student; at least that's what I remember from my studenthood. I remember on some of my ~45 second jumps my instructor had video for me that we watched as I thought "I was turning slowly, and I thought my feet were even -- what could cause that?" :)
I don't have experience with both methods, but one thing I have heard said that seems like a very important difference between the methods is that the potential student "sticking points" are in different places for S/L vs. AFF. For me on S/L it was relaxation and stability on the 10 / 15 second delay jumps. Everything else was really one step at a time like Wendy says. (Plus an extra half-dozen solos for confidence before the big exam. ;))

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

If you're aware of yourself in freefall, you can get them down, but there is more of a trial-and-error factor to it. If, on the other hand, you overload rather easily, static line can be better, simply because you're focusing on one thing.

You won't get as much one-on-one time with the instructor ahead of the jump, but there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do exactly as they do in AFF, and plan the jump, and practice it. Ask for inputs at the beginning of the practice if you're doing something new, and then ask for feedback after you've gone off and practiced it more

Muscle memory, and thinking about what each muscle does when you're changing your body position, really helps. Because the more you eliminate surprises you can anticipate, the more you have left to be aware of what's happening in freefall.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi there.

I started off with static line and I think the points made above are things to think about and go by.

It's just a different training method then AFF.
You're talking about "such a low altitude", but you're not really low. They drop you at 3K or 3.5K and your parachute is open within seconds of leaving the plane (1001, 1002, 1003.. check parachute :P)

For me it was the only way I could afford it, and I thought it was very cool. It takes a little longer before you are jumping from 12000 ft, but who cares? you're jumping.

With regard to your training and instructor involvement. I found that a very positive experience. I see AFF beeing trained, and having gone through the static line program I can sort of comment on both I think.
My instructor would sit in the door for as long as he could see me pretty much (we only had a 206 at my dz) and could give me an amazing amount of feedback.
When I got to 45 second freefall jumps instructors would sometimes jump with me, but it was more important for them to see me fix things fast.
For example an unstable exit from the plane, was I able to fix that within a couple of seconds, stuff like that.

I would say go for it, if this is what you can afford, do it.

Have fun!
Iwan

First question; your profile shows 9 jumps, where did you leave it with the AFF Program (Level 4, 5?) - I ask cause as AggieDave points out, with the ISP, you "may" not have to start over from scratch and you "may" get out higher than you think.

After a certain point (I think after the 15 second delays), the jumpmasters on static line will jump out with the student; at least that's what I remember from my studenthood.

I remember that too - but these days I NEVER follow out a SL student. The JM's are doing AFF, Tandem, Wingsuit jumps, 4 way, freefly etc.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

After a certain point (I think after the 15 second delays), the jumpmasters on static line will jump out with the student; at least that's what I remember from my studenthood.

I remember that too - but these days I NEVER follow out a SL student. The JM's are doing AFF, Tandem, Wingsuit jumps, 4 way, freefly etc.

t

Most DZ's instructors have more than one static line student in the plane at one time as well and won't go out with any student unless specifically requested by that student.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'm one of the few people i know that has actually gone through both training programs. Exiting from 3500 might give you some extra jitters, but after the first jump you'll be ok. Only concentrating on one thing at a time is a huge advantage over AFF. You'll also become comfortable with exiting at "low" altitudes and be able to really concentrate on your canopy skills before moving onto freefall skills. Plus the plane ride to 3500 is shorter so you won't have as much nervous time in the plane. Most people that will say S/L is bad, are the people that have never done it and don't know anything about it. S/L is still a safe, good program to learn and usually much much cheaper. Good luck with your license!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hey!

It really is different to know both perspectives of training and to get your input...very helpful. Thanks! Wendy, too...You've really put my mind at ease.
I think static is gonna be the only way for me to get trained. I DO tend to "over-load"when there are multiple tasks to accomplish during the freefall in AFF.
Having only one (or two?) tasks to do on static will give me much more peace of mind and I'll be able to free up and relax more- I worry!

Will be checking out a static program at a DZ about 45 minutes away.

Thanx...and Blue skies to you!

i did the exact same thing (went to level 3 AFF then switched). I started from the bottom rung of S/L but it was nice because i already knew what to expect & how to arch from 3 AFF jumps.... that made the first 7 S/L jumps fly by.
i actually prefer the S/L program because you can focus on canopy skills for the first 6-or-so jumps... THEN work on freefall skills. Just me though.

BEST OF LUCK
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

What everyone else said at 3500 ft your subterminal it will take you 10 seconds to fall the first 1000', tather than haveing a mal at teminal the same 1000 ft will go by in apprx 5 seconds.

Since you've already done some AFF the sensoray overload shoouldn't be a factor. Want a stable exit out of a cessna Arch!
Interview your jumpmasters so you end up with a jumpmaster that's "not to busy" and ask qustions about the S/l method they use. Direct bag or Pilot chute assist.

IMO Direct bag deployment (S/l connected to deplyment bag) is superior to PC assist s/l connected to P/C via velcro. Just my opinion

R.I.P.

IMO Direct bag deployment (S/l connected to deplyment bag) is superior to PC assist s/l connected to P/C via velcro. Just my opinion

And mine is; that either method of S/L deployment is fine. Both have their +/-

No arguement here:)
R.I.P.

Static line can easily cost more than aff in the long run :( It is very variable, some people can complete it in 16 jumps, others take over 40 jumps.. I did RAPS and found that alot of the jumps were very intense as there is actually very little time. DRPs seem like a very big sticking point. The 5/10/15 second free fall are all relitivly quick, so if you have a problem turning, you don't really have any time in free fall to fix it. There are so many people I know who transfer from RAPS to AFF, I'm not sure if you are making the right decision. If you can trasfer into the RAPS course at say turns or so, then maybe it will be worth while. But it really does depend.

I'm not sure about all the tasks and their timing of freefall in the static program....?

But I HAVE decided to take refresher ground course THIS monday, and jump NEXT SATURDAY. Gotta wait til after pay day to have the cash!

I visited the DZ today- hung around for several hours- all good there- watching jumpers, talking to people and staff... and I feel confidence in the staff.... had opportunities to talkwith them, the owners and the Safety dude (don't remember the initials that position is usally called by - opps).

My gut instinct tells me to do a some static jumps to get me comfortable with getting myself out of the plane, initial freefalling, even though it IS short, and hone up some on my canopy skills.

Don't be afraid to make the switch if you need to - SL is a great way to learn to skydive, and IMO, at 30 jumps, you can't tell who went through which program anyways.....
As long as you have a good Instructor, you will get a good education.

ON a side note, if it wasn't for the SL progression program, I would have never have been able to afford my training either...
=========Shaun ==========