321seeya

Another Chest Strap Post...

I know I am preaching to the choir on this one (for most of you anyway) But please take the time to PROPERLY fasten your chest strap BEFORE boarding the aircraft.
Today on the 3rd load of the day, a girl comes running to the plane as we are settling ourselves on the floor...(Dont know why she was running behind, she geared up for the load at the same time I did - at the 20min) I glanced at her gear, and immediatley noticed her chest strap was routed ONCE through the metal, and then back to the elastic holder. Before I could say anything I heard a familiar voice from the rear of the plane (names withheld to protect the guilty and innocent alike) "You need to fix your chest strap" in which her reply was, "I know Ill do it in a minute." To which he replied "No You will do it now" She then rolled her eyes and sighed, and reluctantly fixed her strap.

1) If you are going to go through the trouble of attaching your strap at all, why not do it right, Did she really save any time by not going back through the metal? Wouldn't it have been easier to properly fasten it and maybe secure the excess once you are on the plane?
2) If someone points out a possible fatal mistake on your rigging, dont get bent out of shape, take a moment to thank them, for they might have just saved your life.

Just felt the need to vent - Thanks for listening.

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

"You need to fix your chest strap" in which her reply was, "I know Ill do it in a minute." To which he replied "No You will do it now" She then rolled her eyes and sighed, and reluctantly fixed her strap.

You're kidding? Throwing an attitude for someone saving her life?

Let me guess, she has only a couple hundred jumps and knows it all?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

very related:

Be on the look out for young jumpers rushing to make a load.

When I see it, I will run ahead and wait in the loading area till they make it. Then give them a gear check.

I caught a young jumper with a missrouted chest strap this way. The cool thing about doing it this way, is you get them just before they board the plane. It seems to have more of an impact this way.

The girl I caught brings it up every chance she gets. She was very humbled by it but not ashamed to share the experience with others.

Also, if she stays in the sport for the rest of her life, she will remember me for taking the time to look out for her and her boyfriend, who were both rushing to make that load....kind of a nice feeling.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I do not know her, first time to see her. But I would say you are right.
She definately made an impresion on the student sitting behind her, he "Suddenly Remembered to do another gear check..."

Free the soul -- DJ

You're kidding? Throwing an attitude for someone saving her life?

I have seen this same shit......a jumper at our dz got caught with his routed wrong on the plane, his response was very similar to this one..:(
I would think most people would go "shit.....damn, I guess I am buyin the beer tonight" Thank you............. but some people are wired a bit....... different

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Nice going. Here's something else to watch for: I usually glace at others' rigs too. A bunch of years back I noticed one guy had twisted his cutaway handle back behind the lift web as he geared up. There was no handle showing; it was hidden behind the harness in a fold of jumpsuit fabric.

Jon S.

Do you think it would help having 'low time' jumpers ( perhaps 'A' licence) in the US having to have mandatory flight line checks....a la UK system?

That said in my very short time in the sport...the only 'catches' I have witnessed are not low time jumpers at all......rather experienced jumpers who are too cool and too experienced to get their gear checked formally....its on....but what is it about waitng until you are on the plane before you tighten up straps and such

I have noticed the same thing with "Hot Shit Sky-Gods" They get on the plane, and never get a check, dont worry about (or look at the spot) and try to rush those ahead of them out the door. I have seen them get on the plane with gear misrouted etc...and you know what we do the same thing. "Dude...You need to fix your gear before this bird will fly."

I think you should follow the golden rule. a check on the ground. A check on the plane, and a check moments before you leave the door....

Speaking of door....Who farted?

Free the soul -- DJ

I once noticed a cutaway housing routed through the lower/harness 3-ring.

We fixed it on the way up.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Pictures worth a 1000!

actually only one comes to mind

"HOLYFUCKINGSHITFUCK!!!"

wow how did he take care of that? My first thought would be to flip on my back and put that bastard back in super quick like!!
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Pictures worth a 1000!

actually only one comes to mind

"HOLYFUCKINGSHITFUCK!!!"

wow how did he take care of that? My first thought would be to flip on my back and put that bastard back in super quick like!!

How the hell did that person deal with that, I would be very interested to know? That picture just made my stomach turn.

At our DZ, one of the owners is always standing at the gate on every load and looks at everyone's chest strap as they walk by, kind of a re-assuring thing, but when the day comes that mine is undone, I will probably turn around take myself off that load and take a while to sit and think about how I got so complacent. I do not get how someone forgets this is or does it the wrong way. When you don't route it correctly, it feels wrong. When I have done it wrong, I go to tighten it and it does not hold when I release it with my hand, how does one not notice this? Are some rigs set up differently that you can't tell it is not secure? Just curious, as I am about to order my new rig within the next month and was wondering if some are different in regards to this.

Also if someone pointed something like this out for me, I would be so appreciative, can't imagine giving someone an attitude for saving my life.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

wait a second
im confused about the pic
what happened???
-sorry for my stupidity

and if someone EVER noticed anything wrong with my gear, i agree, i'd get off the load and think about it and thank the person 10 times a day for the rest of my life ;)

~boogie ho!!
pull before impact!
L.A.S.T#14, PMS #309, Ci EL O DI O SA

wait a second
im confused about the pic
what happened???
-sorry for my stupidity

and if someone EVER noticed anything wrong with my gear, i agree, i'd get off the load and think about it and thank the person 10 times a day for the rest of my life ;)

The person on the bottom is holding on to the persons chest strap above them. When doing hybrids, you have people on their bellies, and people below them standing (feet down), they hold on to the chest strap of the people on their bellies. It is a type of dive that RW and freeflyers can do together. In the picture it looks as if the persons chest strap is undone, but it could also possibly be that they are grabbing the excess that you usually stow in the band, but not sure. The second scenario would not be too bad, but the first could potentially mean death to the person whose chest strap is undone.
Either way, not a good situation [:/]

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

>How the hell did that person deal with that, I would be very
> interested to know?

In general, the best approach is going to be to deploy normally and then cross your arms for deployment. Trying to re-thread a chest strap in freefall is one of those things that seems easy but just might take the rest of your life.

but what is it about waitng until you are on the plane before you tighten up straps and such

I often think the same thing. I see lots of experienced jumpers getting on the plane with their leg straps loose. I'm a new jumper and don't feel like I should be telling experienced jumpers what to do, so I don't say anything. It's their choice I guess. As far as I'm concerned, as soon as I step foot in the plane I am ready to get out and I wouldnt have it any other way. I want to know that in an emergency at 2500' if the pilot says jump my gear is ready to go, and I'm gone.

Warning, Rant:
On a side note, when I was doing AFF I took my helmet off on jump run (I was at the back of a skyvan). My instructor straight away told me to put it on, and told me when we're on jump run, I should be ready to go. That's something I always remember now (although I only have about 40 jumps since then!).

So, last weekend an AFF instructor was taking out a stage 1, we were on jump run, he had his helmet on, but his goggles around his neck. I pointed to his goggles, and gestured for him to put them on, he just looked at me and said "don't tell me what to do". He said it in a half joking way, so I wasn't annoyed by it or anything, but it just seems irrational to be on jump run with a student doing his first jump who is obviously nervous, and could hense do anything, but still not be ready to go out the door. That's the first time I've ever said anything to anyone about gear, and I felt I had to since he was supposed to be exiting within 20 seconds though, evidently he was aware he didnt have his goggles on.

Rant over. :)
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Shouldnt you be careful when you cross your arms, as not to go in a head low orientation, thus making it more likely to fall from your rig? Wouldnt the opening shock throw you from your harness if you were in a head low attitude? (In NO way am I trying to be a smart ass, This is a legitimate question)
Thanks in advance

Free the soul -- DJ

>How the hell did that person deal with that, I would be very
> interested to know?

In general, the best approach is going to be to deploy normally and then cross your arms for deployment. Trying to re-thread a chest strap in freefall is one of those things that seems easy but just might take the rest of your life. ///////////////////////////////////I've had it happen three times on RENTAL gear properly routed. Twice on the same rig. I tied a fucking knot in that fucker . The other I never would jump again after this happening 3 times. I did reach w/ my right hand and make it my chest strap and deployed immediatly. Scary shit. I am not an instructor. Your mileage may vary
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

[replyI've had it happen three times on RENTAL gear properly routed. Twice on the same rig. I tied a fucking knot in that fucker . The other I never would jump again after this happening 3 times.

Yikes:o. All TSO rigs are required to have a fold over or sewn split to keep the chest strap (or legstraps, too) from coming undone. If these rental rigs were lacking that, they were not airworthy and should have been pulled from service. I'm not kidding.

Bill...the solution ended up being that we ran the strap under the opposite lift web and the person held onto the working end of the strap. This gave the person a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage, and they were able to stay stable for deployment. And by the way, your right, rerouting in freefall is near impossible. To you other folks: It is what it looks like, the strap is completely off, don't think for a minute that the same mistake couldn't be made by all of us if we become complacent! I misrouted a chest strap on like my 12th jump, I got a gear check and it was caught...when I stoped shaking I swore that I would be vigilant about checking my shit...now I'm vigilant about checking those I'm jumping with. I was the more experienced skydiver on this hybrid, this person was sub 100 and it was my failure as well as theirs.
Let's all keep each other safe...
Check Your SHit Yo!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

Wow, I had a taste of that today actually.

I was talking to my friend while gearing up, and in the distraction I only routed the chest strap once. At that moment, two instructors saw from far away and approached us.

One of them asks my friend to give me a gear check. Friend looks at chest strap thinking it's ok, and totally misses the fact that it was only routed once (as did I). We both felt like idiots, but it makes me very happy to know people were looking out after me. I've read about these chest strap oversights before, and didn't think I would screw it up.

Now that I've seen it first hand, I realize just how serious it is and will pay attention to what I do when gearing up.

I will thank the instructors who spotted my error with beer next weekend.

heheh, have your friend get some beer too, he learned a good lesson with respect to gear checks....:)
I will thank the instructors who spotted my error with beer next weekend. ***

1)The people who make a mistake, then admit it, and learn from it are the ones who make excellent skydivers......

2)The ones who makes excuses, and dont learn....... [:/] scare me.....

You sound like your from column #1 :)
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.