DJL

Best Small DZ's

Skydive Skyranch in Siloam Spgs, AR. Great buncha' rednecks.....snicker....

Hey we resembl... resent that remark!:)
No matter where, or what, I jump, I am always eager to get back to Skyranch and our awesome 182's, 89'ner and 71Bravo. Turbines are nice, but family is better, and once the King Air gets out of the shop, we'll have both!

-Blind aka Jack Da Rigga
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

If you are ever in The Netherlands, try visiting PCMN, a small dropzone about half an hour driving from Amsterdam. We've got a 206 and a 182, and a very open and friendly atmosphere. What I especially like, is that it's not a commerical dropzone; everybody who works there, does so voluntarily. No one is getting payed for anything, everybody just contributes a bit. And being the home-dropzone of some of the Dutch leading teams in FS4 and freeflying, it all seems to work out well :)

I live not in dreams, but in contemplation of a reality that is perhaps the future - R.M.Rilke

Kapowsin Air sports...

ok i'm sure some would argue its not a 'small' DZ because of the Otter and the caravan's but compared to Eloy (my home DZ) it is small..

I consider any DZ where you may or may not be able to get on a load on a weekday afternoon a small DZ..

that said Kapow ROCKS!! great people, safe, professional staff, aircraft and facilities, and no place else have i ever felt like i was coming home (and invited to stay for dinner) on my first day out...

did so many firsts there i cant count.. 1st cessna jumps, first hit and chug, loads and loads of neat cessna games (4 way FF/RW exits + accuracy for beer and bragging rights) when the loads were to light for the larger aircraft...

and the view is simply stunning.....but all that pales to the way you are treated, not just as a customer to a business, but as a family member returning home...it is not just a dropzone, it is a community.

I have to agree Randy. I love the place.. for this area it is hands down the very best DZ in the Seattle Area.
The level of experience. the learning opportunities.. and the balance to ALL the customers/family there is awsum.

And yeah.. that view is something to see. Mt Rainier just to the east of the DZ that is higher than your exit altitude is hard to beat anywhere.

Two small DZ's come to mind for me

1. The Malone Parachute club. Awesome vibe, and $12 jumps form 9500. very hard to beat.

2. Xtream skydiving center in Puerto Rico. Rockin view, cool people. A complete blast.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

I'm a midwest kid - I know all about "small" DZ's. First off, I believe a Small DZ to be one that does not have a turbine on a regular basis.
The best small DZ I've ever been to is Freefall Express in Mt. Vernon, MO. Friendly & knowledgeable staff, they just have a very nice tight operation..
=========Shaun ==========

I've only been to four DZs, but my home DZ has two 182's and a 206, so I guess that"s small. If you ever get to Franklin, Indiana check out Jerry's Skydiving Circus. Great folks!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

My vote goes to Jax Extreme Sports in Jacksonville, Fl, and they rock! Jumps are only $20 to 9000'. If you want to make a hop and pop from 3000' then it's still only $20! There is no real staff to speak of, and organizers/coaches are completely out of the question. Sometimes when you show up on the weekend, the doors are locked too! Why would you go anywhere else?

A.A.

My vote goes to Jax Extreme Sports in Jacksonville, Fl, and they rock! Jumps are only $20 to 9000'. If you want to make a hop and pop from 3000' then it's still only $20! There is no real staff to speak of, and organizers/coaches are completely out of the question. Sometimes when you show up on the weekend, the doors are locked too! Why would you go anywhere else?

:D:D:D

Been watching this for a while, I must say my little DZ maynot be the best to you but it's the best to me. AIR ADVENTURES (CLEWISTON, FL) We have alot of fun out there, And the staff is constantly vigilant of your safty, and others. So the caravan is a lil slow, it eventually gets up there.

Another great small DZ. XTREME DIVERS (P.R.)
Great bunch of guys, great boogie, locals are super cool, and the view is incredible.

BLUE SKIES. HISPA-17 FLYTHEFREAKYSKIES.

Skydive Skyranch is where my husband & I received our excellent S/L training over 2 years ago...we don't want to jump ANYWHERE else...everything Danno said is true. Our DZO Wolf is multi-talented and watches over all his children...we ALL have the best time even when we're not jumping...we love our new family...and our new jump pilot Brad, ROCKS!

By the way Dan, your pie is waiting...and so are we!!

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Wow! Most of the DZ's listed in this thread sound pretty big in comparison to Greene Co. in KY. C182? Nah, try a vintage C180 off of a grass strip with a corn field lining one side. Throw in the old Beaver and you've got the makings for a great time!

I'm no expert on the subject (as witnessed by my jump count), but it's hard to imagine a friendlier group of jumpers or a better staff!

Skydive Alabama, Cullman. They have their own King Air, and the DZO likes to keep it flying, even with a minimum 6 jumpers (including at least one tandem), or 8 regular jumpers. You don't have to wait long.

I can easily rack up 8 to 10 jumps a day in the summer weekends, one rig, packed myself, and the people are friendly.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

ah, i love Skydive Pennsylvania, my home DZ. jeff and nikki remember everyone's name, and always welcome you with a smile. from jump one to my 61st, they and their DZ are key factors in my love of skydiving. only after visiting other DZ's (some VERY well known and out of state) did i realize their contribution to the sport. offering a porter this season (at least some turbine each season) and a 182, i'd be happy with any plane though as they have it all: great people, all you could want in facilities even in a small DZ (camping, showers, rigging, etc), personalable and caring instructors, and just the overall feeling of home and safety that makes every jump there a great one.