Deuce

Decible levels in freefall? In the aircraft?

Anybody have any links or knowledge of the decible levels experienced in freefall without a helmet?

Decible levels in uninsulated skydiving aircraft?

There's some information out there about motorcycling, but it usually doesn't give any decible level information about riding at 120mph without a helmet :S

I'm considering investing in some custom earplugs like musicians wear so that all of my conversations don't start with "Sorry? What was that?"

I'm considering investing in some custom earplugs like musicians wear so that all of my conversations don't start with "Sorry? What was that?"

Why not get some foamies for the plane ride? I dont know if wearing airtight plugs during FF is a good idea though. There are some earplugs with a tiny hole in them for equalisation sold at pharmacies though...
Remster

The rule I was told for motorcycling was 60mph for 60min or more, you should really have earplugs...

I have recently thought about going with earplugs since between all my motorcycle riding, explosions and weapons fire when I was Army, and now loud SkyVan rides + freefall I can't hear a bloody thing! ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

When I was big into shooting I had a custom set that attenuated gunfire, but allowed conversation. The ones I'm thinking about are vented.

THe problem with the foam ones is you can't hear conversation. Not a problem with RW or FF where you dive the plan, but a REAL problem with tandem students who you have to constantly talk to in the plane and under canopy.

I'm thinking freefall has to be over 120 decibels, and I can write the earplugs off.

Don't wear one with the tandems.

Even if I did, I wouldn't wear it on the ride to altitude.

I'm just curious about the decibel levels to help me make up my mind about how seriously to consider getting some earplugs made.

Edit: and what is the french word for party pooper? "Merdeteer" ?

Don't wear one with the tandems.

Even if I did, I wouldn't wear it on the ride to altitude.

I'm just curious about the decibel levels to help me make up my mind about how seriously to consider getting some earplugs made.

Edit: and what is the french word for party pooper? "Merdeteer" ?

Serves you right then you big dope.

Actually, keep it up, because it's your helmet that I borrow when I'm doing them.

The plane noise isn't so bad these days in a turbine. Spending 40 minutes going to altitude in a piston Islander with no door 700 odd times. That was a bit on the loud side.

if you can afford custom ones GET THEM, but if you cant GET SOMETHING.
i ALWAYS wear earplugs on the ride to altitude and ussually in freefall (i larkshead the leash to my goggles so i can pop them out under canopy.)

i want to eventually get a set of cusom ones from this company http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.asp
they have 3 filters with different attenuation levels.

i have their er-20s http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.asp
and their the bomb dizzle! its like turning the volume knob down. and with the clear stems you can barely see them.

as far as decibel levels i dont know exact numbers but i do know that the skyvan is somewheres around 130dB which is INSTANT damage. the otters, kingairs, and cessnas arent much quieter.

ive become a freak about wearing them lately i wear them pretty much all the time at the DZ and i have a bag of the less expensive (but still as good) foam ones for people who are cheap.
ive really noticed my hearing getting much more sensitive since starting to wear them frequently.

either way, (and this is aimed at everybody)
get SOMETHING to protect your hearing
make sure it has an NRR rating
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/gennoisprot1.html#Hearing%20Protection%20Basics
learn how to use them properly! (i.e. put them all the way in)
and remember to wear them!!

:P

Don't go up again without earplugs!!! Earplugs should be part of your equipment same as an altimeter, gloves, etc.

Hearing protection should be required to be taught in first jump courses just like emergency proceedures. >:(

Damn, will sombody answer that phone? Whaddya mean it's not ringing, it rings all the Godamn time.:(:(
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I don't think the noise in freefall is too significant, but I have to add the caveat that I've yet to do a jump without the helmet. But since mine is a protec, it might be as noisy or worse. At my stage, I don't want to dampen any sounds since I'm still getting a sense of what sounds right.

But definitely wear them on the ride up. It's long enough and loud enough to hurt, esp for a TM like you doing 5-10 runs a day. The ones with leashes probably make best sense.

I don't think the noise in freefall is too significant

You can't hear someone shouting at you from 2 feet away.

It's loud.

But for one minute. If the level was uncomfortable, I'd worry, but I find the ride up much much worse.

I can barely hear people shouting at me on the plane too, esp with the helmet on already. I definitely notice the difference when I remember some plugs. I've yet to find a leash, so unfortunately I end up losing them into my suit/sky when I exit.

As I said before, I don't think it's good for me to have plugs on at canopy opening time, and I worry about the potential for an ear block. In the water, there is a huge difference in the ease of ear clearing on descent when I don't wear a hood.

Yeah JP, you're welcome to wear mine, I have one at home, size LARGE.

Dude, I know fraps are all the rage in Europe.

I would rather jump with a speedo on than a frap hat.

(despite the fact that virtually everyone on the planet wished the reverse)

Too costy! You can pick up a dB Meter at radio shack cheap if you want to know how loud FF is. For the short period you are in FF I doubt your doing significant damage. It's the plane ride that will fuck you up! (See pilot's notch). The plugs I linked you to have the advantage of being what they call "frequency flat" which means it attenuates all frequs. the same 12 db so you can still hear clearly...just not as loud. I use them at band practice and they work like a charm.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

12 years ago Manley Butler noticed that I was starting to talk too loud in the factory, and suggested that I start wearing ear plugs while jumping. Since then I have worn plugs on most jumps and now feel uncomfortable jumping without them. Unprotected easrs leave me far more fatigued at the end of a busy day.
I have tried foamies, plugs-on-a-string and Sonic 2 ear plugs.
Foamies are cheap and you get what you pay for. I find them a nuisance to install and a hassle to keep track of on a busy day.
Plugs-on-a-string are better because they are always tied to my goggles and I can pull one right after opening to better hear my tandem student.
Sonic 2s provide the best protection, but are also a hassle to keep track of on busy days.

As for the helmet debate, I always wear a Protec when doing tandems. Most of the other TIs at Pitt Meadows wear Protecs or open face Boneheads. There are a couple old hands who insist on wearing frap hats. They just have not been doing tandems as long as me, or had as many riser slaps or as many tandem reserve rides as me.
My frap hat gathers dust except for when I jump on the front of new TIs.

Yeah JP, you're welcome to wear mine, I have one at home, size LARGE.

Dude, I know fraps are all the rage in Europe.

I would rather jump with a speedo on than a frap hat.

(despite the fact that virtually everyone on the planet wished the reverse)

I think that you are dissillusioned. Fraps are not all the rage in Europe.

It's just that the Herc Boogie is the "Old Man's Boogie". The Swedish Friflaj Festival boasted hundreds of jumpers from all over Europe and there was not a frap hat to be found.

Fraps are "Old Timers" lids. I know. I still have mine. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I have one of theose db meters from radio shack. It only goes up to 126 db. There is 2 scales one for "music" C weighted an one for "Noises" A weighted. You would want to use the A weighted scale. I am going saturday and will see what the ride up shows on it. As for free fall I have no experience for that. I dont think it would get a good reading unless it was held so that the wind does not blow right on to the mic.