FrancoR

Has your reserve/cutaway pillow ever flipped under your harness?

I think i read about this happening some time ago, but i don't remember where it was. Now i am ready to order new Container and i had my rigger ask the manufacturer if it was possible to reinforce the pillows to make sure they don't flip under the harness. The manufacturer replied that they would make this modification, but did not think it was really necesary.
So what is the experience of the skydivers on this? Any aditional comments welcome.

I think it is a good idea for a cheap gear improvement and i am going to get it if you don't hear any disadvantages. I think one manufacturer allready does this, but i don't remember wich one.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

My reply was yes, but only on the ground...

however, the correct response from me would be "yes, several times...and I've always caught it on the ground because I always check my handles."

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Some manufacturers include plastic stiffeners that force the release handle to lay flat on your chest.
However, they seem to take "soft" ripcord handles far more seriously with a variety of steel tubing or plastic stiffeners.
The next release handle I make will have a fat piece of foam rubber and a plastic stiffener.

I bought a used rig with a pillow and on a couple of jumps after opening I noticed it had fliiped under the harness. I didn't like this one bit. I'm ordering a new handle. Besides, I like the fact that I can reach my fingers in the loop and pull. It's a more secure feeling.
Que sera sera

It happened to me, I noticed in the plane.

Actually the jump was my second birdman, and there were 5 other .com'ers on the flock. It was at Rantoul.

I caught the flip during my flight-line inspection, we were on jumprun and the door was open. I think I'd already turned on my camera. I exited about 5 seconds after fixing it.

I don't think having manufacturer add stiffners to the cuttaway handle will help. In my case, it wasn't a folding of the handle, but a twisting of the main-lift-web that cause the fold-under. Adding stiffners to the handle would not have helped.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

When I put my rig on, I put it on left arm first, to ensure I don't accidentally knock my reserve ripcord handle out of the pocket.

Next, I point my right elbow through the right side of the harness and sneak my forearm through behind it. I do that specifically so my arm doesn't cause the cutaway pillow to turn under the harness.

A pillow that turns itself under without being pushed there by donning the harness should be replaced, IMHO. First, have your Rigger check to ensure it has been installed correctly.

Lastly, I believe that a harness that is too small for the user increases the likelihood of the cutaway pillow being turned under, as there is less room for the arms and shoulders to move easily under the main flit webs and yoke.

Great post, BTW.
Arrive Safely

John

I had a problem with my silver reserve handle falling out. It would do it when I sat in the plane, when I was climbing out, and one time under canopy I noticed it was out. I changed to a pillow and have never had a problem. I do handle checks after I put the rig on, and a number of times while in the plane. Then, right before the door opens, I touch handles again.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

gear checks are performed by humans, human error is the most common reason for death in skydiving

This is true. And it means we have to be more aware of what we are doing. Practicing routine checks is an important part of this. Any technology can fail as well as we humans do.

What comes to initial topic - yes, my pillow has been under my harness. The last time it happened I was on the door. Another jumper spotted it :$.
villem
life is what you make it to be
http://www.youtube.com/villu357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skybound

I don't think having manufacturer add stiffners to the cuttaway handle will help. In my case, it wasn't a folding of the handle, but a twisting of the main-lift-web that cause the fold-under. Adding stiffners to the handle would not have helped.

My handle has folded in half under the main lift web a few times while puting my rig on. In this case i'm more then certain that stiffeners would help the situation.