Muppetdog

Is There Any One Out There Who Has Not Been Hurt Sky Diving?

I have just seen, read and though about some stuff lately and am wondering if there are any folks out there who has not been smited by the sport. If so how have you stayed safe. Just wondering if braking something is just something you have to go through in this sport. I had enough of that in snow boarding, moto-cross and skate boarding. Just want to progress without the duress.

Blues,
Mark

do you count breaking a nail or getting a sunburn as an injury ??
If yes then I have been injured.
If no, hopefully still a virgin in this domain...

Fish (trying my best to remain a virgin)

OOOPS, just forgot a couple of ribs and some shaken vertebrae, but nothing that has kept me grounded...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Well, for me NO. April 24 tandem after 20 year layoff-fractured tailbone compression fracture L1 (30%) and very slight compression L2. I was a passenger. 20years earlier. 15 second delay under round T10 and belly mounted reserve-landed in orchard,good PLF but got stung by a bunch of bees.I'm still going to try later this year or maybe a trip to florida this winter and try again!!!
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Knock on wood......
I try to pay attention and not get in over my head. I have also learned to use flat turn/ brake turn techniques.
This being said, I've also gotten off scott free a time or two when it should have been a trip to the hospital or worse.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

As of today's demo jump into the Pop Secret 500 NASCAR Race at the California Speedway -- 2305 jumps with no reserve rides and no trips to the hospital.

This sport has some inherent dangers. Ain't no way hurling yourself out of an airplane is ever going to be totally "safe". Learn what causes the most injuries in the sport and try to avoid those things as best you can.

Learn to land your canopy slowly and accurately before ever thinking about learning to land it fast. Speed does NOT equal lift and flying a smaller canopy does NOT give you a "better" landing -- only a faster one.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

i got hurt sometimes, nothing serious, never had to go to a hospital... but it wasn't skydiving that hurt me, it was me not paying attention to the landing, but to a nice set of boobs i was flying over... so does it count if it was my stupidity that hurt me during skydiving?

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

You will find I think a lot of long time many numbered jumpers who have broken nothing and also not injured themselves in other ways jumping. The biggest dangers to most jumpers I have found is BEING BORED when they could not jump for one reason or another , bad weather being the biggest. Staying for the weekend and nothing to do now you are not jumping? Ok , lets get the skateboard/tennis ball gun etc etc out and play! I have done nearly 3,000 jumps myself and my biggest injury was when I tried an accuracy jump way too early with a dog canopy that did not know how to flare (Much like me as well at the time!). Basically I landed hard and punched the ground with both hands still in the toggles with forward movement. Fractured two fingers at the third knuckle. Nothing since before or after ! -M.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

don't want to jinx it by saying never, but very careful always of what is happening around me, as for my landings, I PLF alot, but always land safetly!

As with FISH I have jumped with broken ribs, suffered from sunburn and broken nails and blisters from packing but no serious injuries resulting from from Skydiving, I too hope to remain a Virgin and never have to see the inside of an amulance!:)

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

I have just seen, read and though about some stuff lately and am wondering if there are any folks out there who has not been smited by the sport. If so how have you stayed safe. Just wondering if braking something is just something you have to go through in this sport. I had enough of that in snow boarding, moto-cross and skate boarding. Just want to progress without the duress.

Blues,
Mark

My 1st jump was in 1980 and no injuries so far. The basic rules are not all that complicated. Follow them and use good judgement. Also, a little luck doesn't hurt, either.

My ego's been torn to shreds and my heart broken a few times

I think Phreezone says it best, "If it can't kill you, it's not a sport, it's only a game".

I'd suggest you ask your girlfriend to start getting rough with you in bed. And if you don't have a girlfriend - go out & rent one.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Physically? No, I have never been hurt by skydiving, other than minor bruises or sore muscles. I am an extremely (overly?) cautious skydiver and canopy pilot, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it... Luck may be involved as well...

Emotionally? Yes, I have a few scars from this sport. I can't think of any way to avoid this part of it though, other than not allowing yourself to ever care about the other skydivers that you meet???

Hey...so far been lucky. Nothing hurt except landed in some tall grass and got a slinter. Dont know where it came from though.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche