chuteless

how about a new Para Commander

Is there anyone who is into rigging/sewing/etc, who would make a new Para-Commander out of prsent day materials. It would sure pack up small enough to fit in a small pocket sized container....and would likely be a real pleasure to fly.

What do you think Popenhager???

The PC I had back in the 70's was made out of rip stop material (if I remember right). I bought it new. After about 300 jumps it had a lot of burn holes in it. Most of these burns happened in one hard opening jump. Not sure what caused this. I covered the burns with rip stop tape. I've heard of people even using duck tape. The para-commander I jumped a few months ago was made of a different newer material and it wasn't rip stop. I'll bet someone out there knows a whole lot more about this than me. I quit jumping, about 76, for a very long time.......Steve1

There was a light blue F-111 paracommander on my DZ back in the early 80's. Think they called it an RW PC. Never knew what happened to it. It was smaller but not that small compared to the stuff we're jumping know.

According to a friend that has one and jumps one (RW PC) it also has a shorter lineset then the original PC. It also lands like a bag of shit unless you're really lightweight.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I didn't notice harder landings under the RW versions. Poynter's manual or some other reference might have mfg claimed descent rates.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm just talking about what I've seen, so possibly the RW PC I've seen jumped has a few too many jumps on it...It was landed harder then the normal PC being jumped that day by the same person.

Eitherway, I bow out to the others, since I'm talking about what I've listened to, read and seen, not what I've done.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

it also has a shorter lineset then the original PC.

For semiserious accuracy, short lining was common.
It quickened the canopy's response...

For REAL SERIOUS accuracy...
The crown lines could be shortened to the exact
length of the suspension lines.
That pulled the apex down another 12-18 inches.

Made it react to toggle input even quicker and
was more stable in deep sink...that means
toggles most of the way down...coming in downwind!

You had to really be dedicated to being an accuracy
jumper because a canopy so configured not only
landed hard but opened even harder!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was just thinking that to build a PC out of the very light/strong material they are now using to construct squares would be a neat chute, designed exactly like the old Mark I para-commanders were.

It was a very good chute, good for accuracy, forward speed of 15 MPH, so a good stiff breeze helped for the standups.

The PC was also very good for quick fast openings when veryclose to the ground, so thats a great benefit if you like low openings.

Anyhow, it was just something to think about

I also think a Para-Sled would also be great in today's materials, and with a slider.

The Para-Sled was strictly a multi-line reefing system that sometimed worked, and sometime was a bone cruncher. However, the canopy was the best for flying, using a split tail , feartherlight toggle pressure.

They were extremely heavy/bulky, even more so than the PC.

I would forget retirement if I could jump either....with new materials etc......at least for a few jumps.

Bill Cole D-41

PC's.....SLEDS......shit boys you're showing your age.........

If you could get a Sled to open you were a lucky boy....they were fine when open....but......fun to watch the spinning mals each weekend......probably would have been fine if the slider had been invented....the strato star killed them stone dead....even with the original reefing line rope...

Why even go there???....

Best to leave those canopies in canopy heaven (or hell) where they belong.....

I still have a P.C. snow white like the one in Skies Call 2 or 3......only 20 jumps on it....beautiful canopy.....might jump it again when I lose 40 pounds.......last time I did I had to put it in a student rig.....

It was weird.....round main with a square reserve......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Oh.. I can verify it lands like shit

Now now, you're not just bitter 'cause you crunched in under one and could barely walk for a couple days are ya?:P

landed fine for me! yeah, yeah... you've got like 40 lbs on me. I'm just givin' you hell 'cause I can;)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."