jumpwally

Snivel Distance ?

That's a hard question to answer. The biggest determining factors are speed and position at deployment and the pack job itself.

I can pack my Sabre to have a 1000 ft or more opening or I can roll the tail a few less times and sorten that up.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

It depends on the canopy. With a normal propack my (all F-111) Mojo280 with a sail/solid slider will open in about 300' at terminal. With the same general type of pack job and slider my Triathlon 190 (all ZeroP) would take about 500' to open. I'm not sure exactly how fast my Lightning 176 (all ZeroP) would take to open at terminal with a sail/solid slider but I would guess it's around 250'-300'.

I'm not sure exactly how fast my Lightning 176 (all ZeroP) would take to open at terminal with a sail/solid slider but I would guess it's around 250'-300'.

A teammate of mine once bagged his solid slider ZP 176, rolled the nose to the B lines, packed it with the brakes unstowed, and took it terminal. The word I'd use to describe the opening is "instantaneous". I can assure you it's less than 250' - probably more like 100 - 150 ft.

Bob

Eduardo Guillen jumps his Lightning 143 (all ZP) with a solid slider and packed in a D-bag for RW jumps. He said the opens are brisk but tolerable. He also said you need to be careful with how you pack a ZP Lightning for terminal openings. He claims side packing works a lot better for this than propacking.

I'm not sure exactly how fast my Lightning 176 (all ZeroP) would take to open at terminal with a sail/solid slider but I would guess it's around 250'-300'.

A teammate of mine once bagged his solid slider ZP 176, rolled the nose to the B lines, packed it with the brakes unstowed, and took it terminal. The word I'd use to describe the opening is "instantaneous". I can assure you it's less than 250' - probably more like 100 - 150 ft.

Bob

I thought rolling the nose was supposed to lengthen the snivel distance???
Scars remind us that the past is real

Sabre2-150 propacked, nose wide open....1,000 minimum

Damn. If it's really taking that long, there's something wrong there. My Sabre2 150, psycho packed, takes between 500 and 800' to open - nice and soft. When I take it down to 2500', I'm in the saddle, slider collapsed and stowed, chest strap loosened, and toggles in hand by my hard deck of 1600'.

When I pro pack it, I get the same openings.

Mike

I encourage all jumpers that say they are getting 1000+ foot openings to get video of them opening then compare that to what they think it is. A 1000+ foot snivel is at least 7 seconds in snivel. If you are talking 1000 feet from wave to full canopy and brakes popped thats totally different then a true 1000 foot snivel.

I'll post some video of openings and see how long people think they are and see how off people are.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>Sabre2-150 propacked, nose wide open....1,000 minimum

Personally, I think that a canopy that takes that long to open is not a good lifesaving device. I have had to go all the way to 2000 (and a bit below) on occasion to avoid someone above me; if I had a canopy that sniveled that much, I would be at risk for a cypres firing or out landing. I would much rather have a canopy that opens well before my cypres thinks about firing - or before I run out of altitude to choose a landing spot.

I thought rolling the nose was supposed to lengthen the snivel distance???

It does. ZP Lightnings have fast opening characteristics, so much so they're not recommended for terminal deployment. Some people take them terminal anyway, and use various tricks to slow down the opening. Rolling the nose is pretty effective.

Bob

:)
I pull to get open, not to watch a snivel.
;)

How are you packing it(specifically, what are you doing with the nose and tail)? I get 500-800' openings normally(usually closer to 500 than 800) except in a wingsuit - where the vertical distance is only 200-300', due to the forward speed.

Mike

Spectre 230; Out the door: 225 lbs;

1000 ft -- from the altitude at which the audible in the ProTrack says to initiate my "wave-off" to the altitude my Pro-Track reads I am "in the saddle."

I like to pull at 3500, so that I'd be at 2500 when I'd know something was wrong. (I have <50 jumps & only began jumping on 6 Jul 2003).

edited to add comments on pull altitude
AMDG

The Safire 149 I now jump PRO packed opens in between 300 and 800 feet. My sister told me it used to be snivelly when it was new, so I have the pc out at around 3500 or so, just in case.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

OK everyone.....I will jump her this weekend and really pay attention to the time versus the actual snivel......you've got me curious.

I just know I normally wave off at 4 and after I have a "nica nica" canopy and check alti, it's normally at or close to 3K.....

MAYBE I'm wrong.....(doubt it ;))...........but now I'm gonna check!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Spectre 230; Out the door: 225 lbs;

1000 ft -- from the altitude at which the audible in the ProTrack says to initiate my "wave-off" to the altitude my Pro-Track reads I am "in the saddle."

You can't rely on the Pro Track to give you absolutely accurate altitudes. The only REAL way to tell for sure is to watch the altimeter. If your dytter goes off, THEN you wave off and pull....you're 200-300' below the altitude it went off at by the time you pitch your pilot chute.

I have had 1000' plus openings on a Spectre, but they were not the norm. Normal altitude was 700-800 for my old Spectre....I've seen some as long as about 1700, but that was when I experiemented with really rolling the nose and tail tightly.

Mike

It does. ZP Lightnings have fast opening characteristics, so much so they're not recommended for terminal deployment. ***

Why the hell would anyone want something not for teminal? There is a lot of gooffy shit goin' on here,,every time i watch deployments from the ground,,it doesn't look at like any thing near 1000'...i'm with Quade, if it takes that loong its useless............wally
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083