chuteless

my skydiving log books

During my trip through the United States this past summer, I gave away the first of my skydiving log books , to a very special person.

This person had been very kind to me especially in the days after breaking my left ankle, heel, and foot and my tailbone on June 5th. The foot and ankle still hasnt healed, and the is very swollen.

I have decided today that I am going to give away four more log books to some dropzone.commers. I will only keep the log book I currently used this summer.

Each log book has a hard blue cover, and measures about 4 X 6 inches. They were the only log books in use during the 1960s.

Log book #2, covers my jumping from jump # 124 to jump #270.

Log Book #3 covers the jumps from #271 to #420.

Log book #4 covers my jumps from # 421 to #570.and includes the two chuteless jumps.

Log Book #5 covers jumps from #571 to #708. and includes the Canadian High Altitude Record from 36,916 ft.

Some of the log books are not completely filled, before I started a new book, but that has no bearing on the jumps recorded. I will photocopy all the books before giving them away.

If anyone is interested in having ONE of these 4 books, let me know. My decision to send them to 4 persons, will likely hinge on my perception of a person's interest,and involvement in the sport, the person's profile on DZ.com, and previous postings which can tell me much.I may select to send one to a person with a couple of jumps, OR a couple of thousand jumps. I may give them to a jumper from any country, depends on replies received but I would like to feel that I am giving them to persons who will take care of them.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Bill Cole D-41

I am suprised that there is not a million replies yet.
I have sent you a PM as i know my Home dz in new zealand would be extremley proud to have one of your Log Books for educational points and some priceless history of the skydiving world. I belive our students and theskydiving enthusiasts in little new zealand would cheerish such a piece of history. If not i am sure someone out there would make the most of what you are offering.

It is a big thing you are offering here, i sure hope we could get a photo copy if not the real thing.
Blue Skies.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I PM'd Bill striaght away. I personally think the log books should be shared around the DZ's. Lent to a care taker to take to their DZ for a few weeks and then sent on to another DZ. Or copies made to share and the originals stay with Bill.

Either way, I would love to read the log books.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

yes, makes alot of sense but also think that they will be cheerished and looked after by sole handlers a lot better than multiple people. I do hope that the chance is there though to even purchase copies of his log books.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Bill I know your not fond of the CSPA...and for good reason....but I think the log books from a pioneer in the sport should be given to a organization that would keep them safe and allow access to ppl researching the history of skydiving etc.

Does the CSPA have a archives etc. that you would consider donating the log books to? or another organization?

Bill,

I would ask that rather than to give them away that you please consider another alternative. While I'm sure that many would want such a treasure, I could not accept such a gift. Please consider sharing it with generations of skydivers to come.

Could I get your permission to check with the USPA to see if there's not someway, somehow these types of mementos of our forefather could be publicly cherished?

If that is not a path you wish to go. Could you let me see if I could scan them and place them on the SCR website or something.

If that's not a path you wish to go either, perhaps we could scan them and place them on a generic site so these historical artifacts are available for future generations.

Please feel free to contact me.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Bill,

If you choose to give these priceless items away, I’d be honored to receive one. Please feel free to review any of my posts on dz.com.

We had a chance to meet in Dallas this past summer. I very much enjoyed talking with you about your exploits.

Blues Skies,
Ron
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Bill
You have some very momentous items and I admire that you want to share.
Since my father passed away in 2000 my brother and I have started a fund raiser known as the Jerry Schrimsher Skydiving Scholarship Fund (JSF) the money is raised from an annual event known as SkyFest. The money is for upcoming and experienced jumpers that are dedicated to the sport and want to continue their education through additional coaching or obtaining a coaches/instructors rating. We are entering our fifth year and we have given out 33 skydiving scholarships across Texas DZ's over the past 4 years.
For more info please go to: www.skyfestboogie.com

He had 41 years in the sport jumping every weekend possible starting in 1959 and ending Oct. 2000. It was his first love.
I went through the 13 logbooks that Jerry left and it is amazing what he wrote.
After his death I spent countless hours going through his stuff and boxes of slides he took in the 60's. I even found 3 reels of 16mm shot back in 1968 of skydiving and news interviews. We made an hour long DVD with the photos and vintage footage to keep some of the history recorded.
I discovered that we are only missing two issues of Parachutist since it started. I have taken a great interest in skydiving history since his death, and would be honored to have a log book.

I think Keith "Bigun" has a good idea, (not that I am turning one down) but I believe the USPA museum is still in the works and that is where I will be sending both of my parents "pieces of history" too when the time is right.

Hope all is well and I thank you for your contribution to the sport over the years, I know we wouldn't be where we are with out people like your self and all the other Pioneers of the sport.

Blue Skies

Jerry J Schrimsher II

Thanks to all for your replies. I have read them over, and it will take a few days to decide, but that won't take any longer than necessary. I don't know of any museum who would want them, I doubt CSPA would want one, and not sure about USPA....after being thrown out of both they may not even be interested. If they are, they can let me know what they would do with one....

I'll get back to you guys asap.

Thanks all for taking them time to write. You are ALL my family, and I appreciate your kindness immensely

Bill Cole D-41

Thanks to all for your replies. I have read them over, and it will take a few days to decide, but that won't take any longer than necessary. I don't know of any museum who would want them, I doubt CSPA would want one, and not sure about USPA....after being thrown out of both they may not even be interested. If they are, they can let me know what they would do with one....

I'll get back to you guys asap.

Thanks all for taking them time to write. You are ALL my family, and I appreciate your kindness immensely

Bill Cole D-41

Bill,

I would hope that you could find a way to give your logbook with your Canadian Altitude Record Jump to a Canadian that won't let CSPA forget that their record isn't the record. I don't know who that person might be but I have a few suggestions I would share with you in PM.

Murray
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

***I don't know what happenend to the idea of the skydiving museum, but it will be greta if you could donated to the museum.

Museum's are for pioneers and personal achievments
and that is exactly where your name belongs. As for you donating your log books, I think that is a great
idea because once a museum is created your books "WILL"eventually end up there. And as for the memories, I am sure there isnt a skygod or a whuffo on this planet that can take them from your heart brother. I again would like to extend my hand
to you and say Thank you.

Larry

Just to let everyone know, I got quite a few replies from jumpers wanting my log books.

My first (as stated) was given to a wonderful person in Missouri last June.

Another is gone to Jim Twardowski in Texas

Another is gone to Murray Stevens in Saskatoon, Sask. Canada

One was sent to Skypuppy, Rob price, ( the log for the HALO jump. I gave him the FAI certificate last year)

The log for the two chuteless jumps I sent to Skydive Auckland, in New Zealand,

and another log book went to a jumper in Scotland.

I also sent copies of some log books, and other photos and papers to several other skydivers.

I hope you enjoy having them as much as I had in making the jumps they have logged.

Thanks to everyone for their interest.

Bill Cole D-41

Now that you have let it out i would just like to add that the Log book that was sent to Skydive Auckland is being presented at the Nationals that we are having in January to all the skydivers of New Zealand. It will be kept at Skydive Auckland in Mercer and will be well looked after and will not leave the dropzone.
There are many people in New Zealand that are looking to forward to having some history on our sport available to read and the Log Book will stay there until it has a higher caling, though we hope that day never comes.
I would also like to thank Bill for a video he has put togethor and donated to our national competition as a prize to one lucky jumper.
I realise we are very lucky to recieve this Log Book and would like to say to the others that care that this will be well looked after and can assure you that it will always be kept in the same condition that we have recieved it.
Thanks Bill,
P.S. The sheep is on it's way
:P

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

P.S. The sheep is on it's way

You guys 'down under' REALLY need
to get out more!;)

I know that I, like BigWay am humbled
at the honor of being entrusted with
an invaluable piece of Skydiving History!

We are merely the caretakers of this
memorabilia, entrusted to see that it receives
the honor it deserves.

As I told Bill...
This bring to full circle, what the sport
has meant to me and my life.

I started jumping almost 30 years ago at
age 18, with a small 'private' (re:outlaw)B|
club in the Midwest.

Several hardcore Style & Accuracy jumpers
that owned a 182, a make shift clubhouse
and some student gear.
For fuel & maintainance money they would teach a few students, and do a lot of demos.

Students taught there were allowed to progress
to free fall, then would be moved along to
another DZ.

Every now & then if a student "fit in" with the
general personality of the place, they were
invited to join the membership.

I was lucky enough to be one of those few.

To jump there you taught and did demos...
A LOT of demos...:ph34r:

I did my first into a baseball stadium when I
had 22 jumps, on a Papillion.
Four smokes strapped to my feet.B|

Young and eager to learn, I always sat fascinated
listening to the 'war stories' told by the other guys.

Beer fueled egos bragging...
comparisons were always made regarding the
types of performances and stunts we did
versus all the other demos teams
around back then.

A salty, talented and experienced group without
a doubt...
I was impressed to be among a group of
Professional Demonstration Jumpers that
walked the walk.

Budweiser sensibilities always boasted us to be
as good ~
or better than 'almost' everyone else...

"Sure the Knights are good...
but they're boring, same show for the
last 10 years..."

"We can do anything they do, but BETTER!"

"Who then is the best," I asked?

The guys with the double & triple didget D
numbers would say in unison....Bill Cole!

I'd never heard of him...:D

..But I sure learned!

I listened to comments like:

"He's got 'real' sponsors...huge shows...
doing the kinds of things no one else's
even THOUGHT of!"

"The only thing on the guy bigger than
his balls..is his brain!"

...And my favorite comment was made one time
when someone was touting the abilities of a
certain member of the Army Parachute Team...

"There ain't a Golden Knight, living or dead
that could make a pimple on Bill Cole's ASS!"
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

In no small way,

Bill's been a Skydiving / Demo Jumping
role model for me...

It's truly an honor beyond words to have
something of Bill's,
and like BigWay...I'll will be able to show
and better explain just Who & What
Mr. Bill Cole is.

Thank You Bill ~

...From ALL of us!!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was just looking over the posts on my log books, and I thought for a minute about yours., and whether CSPA has archives.

About three of four years ago, I sent a large pile of photographic negatives to CSPA, covering much jumping done in the 1960s-1970s. They never even acknowledged receiving them, and Ive often wondered who got them, were they accepted by CSPA or did some individual take them for their own private collection.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Incidentally, I think giving CSPA those negatives, would tell anyone tat I dont "hate" CSPA, but just their mismanagement of things, and that is only being done by those who are in charge.

When my 2nd wife was still a girlfriend and going with me, there was such hatred by certain CSPA officials, that one of them, (a Mr. Big, in charge of SAFETY and such, writing all kinds of safety documents to be implemented) intentionally dropped Arlene about 500 yards past the spot, so she would have to walk back. That was done because she was with me...no other reason.

At that time I was heavily sponsored and getting all the air shows, sometimes right in the back yards of CSPA clubs, and their "officials" didnt like it.
I walked out to meet her, and she asked me not to make a scene over it, and I agreed, and everyone at the Coldwater Dropzone knew it was an intentional cut at ME, taking their venom out on my girlfriend

Great organization, isnt it?

regards

Bill Cole D-41

I just picked up my mail and got a package from Bill! 10 photo copies of log book pages with the Chuteless jumps and high altitude record jump, also a signed photo of Bill on what I think is a Para Wing? It looks triangular in shape! Thanks once again Bill! Kelly

I just received my parcel containing Bill's logbook, a Strong "Starmaker" jumpsuit...all stained with smoke which I think is really cool... and other fantastic memorabilia of his skydiving career. I haven't had time to go through all of it yet as I am trying to wrap things up at work before we take off to my outlaws for Christmas.

It is a treasure trove of Canadian skydiving history that I am honored to receive and be its caretaker.

In the front of his logbook is a photograph of his jump #551, July 20, 1972. A chuteless jump is kind of an abstract thing to think of...this picture really brings home to me what an awesomely gutsy and scary feat it was to perform. A man's future riding on closing those last few feet and clipping onto the reserve held for him by another man. A frozen moment in time of Bill's life hanging in the balance. It's a fantastic photograph. (Edited to add the attachment)

Merry Christmas Chuteless!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I really dig the all white mini system you sold to my friend in Indiana when you stopped by this summer.
The best part is the old school name tag(Bill Cole) on the belly wart, we found a all white MK-1 and put it together, it's nice to have a retro rig from someone like you Bill, a living legend of the sport, hope you are well...

`
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Thanks so much> Yes, I'm healing still, but healing slowly. 7 months and counting.

I tried to run through the deep snow this morning, and found my ankle doesnt bend like it used to. I almost ended up head first in a drift. I guess I dont heal like I used to either.

Im glad you got the rig together, and if I ever get down to Indiana again, maybe I can make one on it.

A blessed Christmas to all at your DZ.

Bill Cole D-41