beowulf

Most Memorable Advice

The advise that I was given that I will never forget is...

When it is pull time it is pull time. If your on your back and it's pull time it's pull time. When you need to pull, pull.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

(After a reserve ride on jump #6 and I was wondering whether it would be better to ground myself for the day or not): "If you go home today without doing another skydive, I guarantee you won't come back." I did another, and I've been coming back ever since.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A HIGHLY experienced instructor told me that if he every had a skydiver at his DZ burn in and he walked up to their body and they had not pulled ALL of their handles that he would piss on their dead body and walk away.

At first I thought this was bizarrely harsh coming from such a mild mannered guy but the more I thought about it the more I understood what he was saying.

Personally, that's not a teacher of life principles that I would want to learn from. There are numerous scenarios under which a jumper would not be capable of pulling all handles. And even if the deceased simply screwed up, responding in a respectful manner shows a lot more class.

AFF-1, my first jump, the fun jumper accross from me leans in just before exiting and yells, "Dont Fuck UP!"

Alex Barnes once yelled after a student as an instructor "PULL THE FUCKING CORD! AND DON'T SUE ME, PRICK!"

:D:D Oh the stories he could tell if he were still around...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

"Get into the plane ready to get out of the plane"

- in reference to guys wandering up to the plane with straps undone etc. My Aff instructor went on to say that in the event of an emergency in the plane he wouldn't be waiting for these boys to get their shit together and if they were in between him and the door then tough shit.

Also:

"Practise your reserve drills just before exit because then if you have a malfunction the last time you rehearsed was about a minute ago"

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Back when i'd just done my first 'one-off solo skydive in Oz' (aka AFF level 1)

'You may as well do level2, its only half the price of level1...'

Closely followed the next day by second best piece of advice...

'Hey you've basically paid for the entire course now, you may as well finish your AFF....'

Abso-bluddy-lutely ! ta to Rick n Pete, Goulburn, 1999 ;-0

ap x

re: "...When it is pull time it is pull time. If your on your back and it's pull time it's pull time. When you need to pull, pull..."

Punky_monkey's post reminded me of the best advice I got - the priorities of freefall:

1 - Pull something
2 - Pull at the right alitude
3 - Pull at the right altitude and stable

Years ago my flight instructor said the following things do you absolutely no good.

"The airspace above you, The runway behind you
and the fuel you left at the ramp."
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

From a very Valuable source...Doug just feel it..Smooth Adjustments..dont try and reach for the Ground too Fast, let the Canopy fly itself.

Get Out Early Stay Late and Birdman..Birdman..Birdman..!!!!!

Thats the advice I took from the Great Chris Martin...And I will never Forget..You..My Friend..