cloud9

Wing Loading Poll

I thought with all the talk about wing loading BSR's still going on it wouldn't hurt to see what happened in the real world. When did you start jumping a 1.4 or higher wing loading and did you get injured doing it? You can choose multiple answers so you can pick #5 with the others.
If this has already been done sorry.

Hmmm - not a lot of votes yet and I don't really think the only other person who voted than me is that wise... but it is their legs. As long as they don't fly into anyone else and kill them too that is..B|>:(

fly safe people. :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

At 200 jumps I was jumping 1.7:1 (Heatwave 170)

Overall I was reasonably safe, but I got lucky a number of times...the downside was I blew my knee up on a perfect swoop, dragging my right toe behind me. I had it at an angle and it caught on a small rut in the landing area. Tore my MCL and ACL due to that.

It was a nice swoop too...[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

ive got 500 jumps and ive jumped a canopy at a 1.42 wingload on about 20-30 jumps. i normally jump a 1.33 wingload and that is enough for me. ive been jumping at that wingload for aproximately 350-400 jumps now and i still dont think i have maxed out my canopy so i chose not to go smaller for a full time canopy yet.

1.2 @ 100 est

1.4 @ 500 est

1.8 @ 900 est

Broke my ankle at the 1.4 mark, but not due to my error, had a pesky little tuft of crab grass that managed to turn my ankle bacwards on a surf, I actually walked out of the landing area and back to the hangar, because we had students and I didn't want them to know I was hurtB|

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - rehmwa

had a pesky little tuft of crab grass that managed to turn my ankle bacwards

or

I had it at an angle and it caught on a small rut in the landing area

Yup everyone has an excuse don't they?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was under a safire 149 loaded around 1.5 at between 200 and 300 jumps, and I nearly killed myself under it twice but did it without getting injured.

I went to a crossfire 119 around 500 jumps and never had any problems. The lessons learned served me well under the higher loading.

I did finally hurt myself however, under a velocity 111 when I dropped a toggle on final. I had around 1400 jumps at the time.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Well we have had 76 replies and 10 of those were injured, wich is 12 percent. Of course this also does not include fatalities. I don't know how many jumpers one would need to poll to be a representative sample but if this is any indication it would in my mind support a wing loading BSR. Something I have not been in support of in the past. I really thought that percentage would be much lower. Any other thoughts on this.

it would in my mind support a wing loading BSR

No. It just says people with injuries post more in this thread'.

I started jumping with 1.4 W/L when I had 85 jumps. Well, at that time I thought I was jumping with 1.27 (didn't know about Icarus Safire-1 139 measuring issues). Still jumping it and did not get bored (actually, stuck at 90s - winter air is something completely different to summer one). No injuries. Always had standup landings (knock on the wood) except static line jumps with round canopies.

Excessive CC training is the key. Finding a good mentor. Making high altitude hop'n'pops.