Unparagoned

Bulk buying tickets-any disadvantage

Hi, my local drop zone is offering a special low price discount this time of the year. So if you buy the tickets in bulk they work out £3 cheaper than buying them individually. I think it would be worthwhile buying as many tickets as I can afford now to save money in the long run. The only real disadvantage I can see is if I lose the tickets... are there any other disadvantages I have not thought of? And am I right in trying to buy as many tickets as I can?

Dropzones make those deals over the winter to keep some cash flow when nobody's jumping. It's temporarily good for the dropzone (they'll hate you in the summer while you're jumping for "free" :)
How many tickets do you need to buy to get the discount? Sounds like a very big discount to me.

Dave

Dropzones make those deals over the winter to keep some cash flow when nobody's jumping. It's temporarily good for the dropzone (they'll hate you in the summer while you're jumping for "free" :)
How many tickets do you need to buy to get the discount? Sounds like a very big discount to me.

Dave

There is no expiration date on them so they will be good for years to come :) If for some reason they don't get used it will be not a real problem in my unique situation. Well you need to buy 50 tickets minimum to get the most heavily discounted price.

My DZ only uses jump "tickets" during a boogie. Otherwise, we keep money on account and our account gets debited for each jump- no worries over lost or stolen tickets that way! (For big volume, like boogies with a lot of people and multiple aircraft, the ticket system is just a little more efficient.) They offer a pretty good deal every winter if you prepay for 100 jumps, but you are expected to make those 100 jumps or more that season. If you don't, they can retroactively increase the price of the jumps you've already made. So, there's one disadvantage, I guess. But if you think you're going to make at least 100 jumps and you've got the cash to put down up front, its a great deal.

As far as not getting your money back? Personally, I never asked, just rolled over my balance to the next year, but I know one guy who had at least $500.00 on his jump account and had a snit over something the DZO said to him. (He objected to the way he flew his canopy and would not allow him on a big way because if it.) He demanded his money and got it, no problem! Walked out swearing he'd never be back, but was back jumping there within 2 months! You know, after the other dzs in the area told him pretty much the same thing the dzo did, but not as nicely!:P

If the DZ goes out of business, you could be left holding worthless paper souvenirs.

If the DZ has the tickets serial-numbered, you could still be okay even if you lose a few. Their record-keeping might be able prove that certain tickets were issued to you, and never used, and therefore give you credit for them.

I had this problem once with a ticket I left in a pocket that went through the laundry, turning it into unreadable mush. The DZ had sufficient records to figure out which ticket it was, and let me use it anyway. Some DZ's may not be quite so accomodating with their time and effort.

Thanks, Skydive Houston.

my DZ offers a block of 20 and a block of 40, when you buy 20 you the 20 th jump is essentially free, 40 and the last 3 are free. though I think they expire in 1 year or at the end of the cal year (not sure of the top of my head). To me 3 jumps is worth it as that would be about 60$$

Dropzones make those deals over the winter to keep some cash flow when nobody's jumping. It's temporarily good for the dropzone (they'll hate you in the summer while you're jumping for "free" ). It's good for you cause you save money.

Congratulations. When you buy in bulk like this, the DZ has turned you into a bank. They have taken out a loan which they will pay off with interest over time. You get to determine the payoff rate and they get money to use during the slow season. Unless you become the Bank of Ivan Boesky, you should probably do fine.

As someone told me, "You will never go broke saving money."
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.