JoeG

Who is the "Warren Miller" of Skydiving?

If any of you ski or snowboard, I am sure you know who Warren Miller is. His insights into the sport and the culture are spot on.

Who is the "Warren Miller of Skydiving?

Mike's more of a big-way RW camera man type guy. If you're looking for jumping videos, then there are all different types out there (RW, Freeflying, Swooping, BASE, all of the above) that many gear shops can help you with. But there really is no Warren Miller individual in this sport. But I could be wrong. I still say it's Mike McGowan (sp?). :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Please, please, please forgive my newbieness (is that a word? eh it works) what is Relative Work, what exactly is that? I haven't found a definition yet.

thanks for your help B|

Please, please, please forgive my newbieness (is that a word? eh it works) what is Relative Work, what exactly is that? I haven't found a definition yet.

thanks for your help B|

Go to the Bonfire, there's a link to the glossary at the top.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

There is no one "Warren Miller" in skydiving...

Some of the big names that have made some of the better known videos are:

Mike McGowan
Norm Kent
Tom Sanders
Joe Jennings
Patrick Passe

But with the pervasiveness of video cameras in the sport, and the explosion in people dabbling in video editing there is plenty of cool video to be had... check some of the online gear outlets and they will have a number of titles to choose from. For some of the old school stuff, check around the DZ.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Rook Neslon is one of the best cameramen out there.

No doubt, Rook is a great guy and camera flyer, but to get to the "Warren Miller" level its not just being a good or even great camera guy/gal... there are lots of those, including Rook... its the ones that make the effort to produce a high quality finished product with broad appeal... not just a boggie tape or year end video (not suggesting that is all that Rook does either)

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Warren Miller lays out funny stuff on a sport he loves. All you guys are posting serious cameramen.

Who recalls WALLY GUBBINS?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Warren Miller lays out funny stuff on a sport he loves. All you guys are posting serious cameramen.

You can't possibly be suggesting that Warren isn't a serious filmmaker, can you? Sure, he captures the lighter side of the sport, but man there is always some serious badass skiing in there... there is even some skydiving in his new one.

J

Hehe, Leo Dickinson was at the BPA AGM this year doing a presentation on his awesome new DVD about jumping with peregrine falcons. I got chatting to him for a few minutes and, me being a young newbie, didn't have a clue who he was!

Damn was I in for a shock when I got home and looked at his website.....
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yeah, Warren Miller not only does some incredible video, but also has very humorous voice-over's describing what is going on. It's a very entertaining combination. And no one really does that kind of stuff for skydiving. Wally Gubbins is the closest thing to it.

None of this is to detract from the serious video work done by all those other guys mentioned here. But those videos can usually only be appreciated by experienced skydivers.

The Warren Miller stuff is enjoyable to watch, even if you've never been on skis in your life. It would be great to see something similar to that on skydiving, on public TV.

Or the "Endless Summer" round-the-world surf adventure...

[points finger] YOU'RE OLD! ;)

Watch it, or I'll hit you with my cane. Now help me up from my chair so I can give you 'what fer'

Er, right after I get done using the bathroom.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants