airdvr

Is tandem hurting our sport?

Both methods were developed in the 80's. If Tandem had been out and proven no one would have ever came up with the AFF program because all the concerns the AFF program was ment to address would have already been addressed via tandem.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just finished reading Mike's editorial in the latest issue of Skydiving. He puts forth the idea that alot of DZO's aren't working hard enough to "grow" the base of new jumper's, preferring to cater to the tandem business instead.

Hi Airdvr

Good question:)
IMO some of the people responding are confused by the difference between the "business" of skydiving and the "sport" of skydiving.

At some DZ's they could both exist but lets be realistic the DZO's are in a business that has to turn a profit. Tandems are where the major cash flow (coming in) is coming from, AFF is second and fun jumpers:S. One person responded in this thread $3000/10 jumps[:/]

Without fun jumpers the pool of future instructor's would dry up, and some fun jumpers at a DZ provide some local color and help the illusion of a DZ rather than a Tandem/AFF money machine.

Times have changed, the sport and business have evolved. The iniatition of a coach rateing as a incentitive to get fun jumpers to jump (for a free jump) to jump with the new jumpers (babes excluded) after the profit curve from the students has flattened out is another sign of the direction of the sport.

Nothing "wrong" with the way the sport/business has evolved. As long as the fun factor exceeds the hassle factor fun jumpers will stay around. Tandems are here to stay.

R.I.P.

I tend to agree and would like to add another thought: tandem gives alot of first timer's sensory overload***

So do you think doing AFF does not?

I did 4 tandems and any one who asks me about skydiving I recommend them to do a tandem first.
I think it helps the sport. For people who can't afford to do AFF, for people who just want to do it once, and for people like my self who had every intention of continuing it before even my first jump.

I think if you are at a DZ that does not care about all of there jumpers then you should change your DZ.

Just my .02
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Someone once said, tandems pay for the nice stuff.

Unless you are super busy dropzone like Skydive AZ with people coming from all over the world and constantly have up jumpers, kinda hard to have a nice dz without tandems. Average DZ's don't make enough per up jumper to do a lot of stuff.

Just my opinion.

All good points...and well taken. To clarify a little, I was thinking that slapping a harness on someone and throwing them in the plane, hoping they might like it enough to continue might be a little short sighted. My GM was totally freaked, and I'm not suggesting she would have continued but I saw the process firsthand and was left thinking it wasn't doing much to promote the sport of skydiving.

The FJ experience before tandem required more commitment to the process by the student. I'm just concerned that we may be missing some people who want to learn how to skydive but get absolutley overwhelmed by the tandem experience without making an investment in training other than monetary.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

When I said: "Tandem jumping _in general_ is devastating our sport." I meant that:

We are now showing people that 1. showing up any time that is convenient for them, 2. not spending much effort in training, making the skydive, and 3. leaving right after the jump with little debriefing, is the _way_ _to_ _skydive_.

I am gratified to hear from many of the posters to this thread that many Tandem Instructors are doing a lot of instruction, but still, many are not.

The worst part of it is that we are seeing a downward spiral. People who have done a Tandem carnival ride take their video and show it to others, who in turn believe that this type of jump is what Tandem skydiving is, and all it is.

Now imagine that every Tandem jump was very instructional. People seeing a Tandem jump on video would say "I didn't know they would let you do all that! I thought the instructor did everything for you. Gosh, if that person did all that on their _first_ jump, maybe I can. And maybe I can learn to do it by myself too."

Every year that goes by I see more Tandem students show up believing it is a yee-haw wham-bam, thank you whatever, and leave, and fewer students who have actually thought about why they are choosing to do a Tandem jump.

And if that explanation doesn't make sense, realize that there are many people who think that a Tandem jump is the _only_ type of jump available to them for their first jump. I know, I've talked to some of them.

I had no intention whatever of becoming a skydiver. I made a tandem jump as part of a student group outing. I was 52 at the time.

The DZ where I did it treated it as a learning experience; I was expected to turn in each direction, hold a heading, make practice handle touches, signal breakoff, deploy, and steer the canopy. So I did.

I enjoyed it so much I signed up for the whole program. That was 8 years and 1600 jumps ago.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Someone once said, tandems pay for the nice stuff.

Unless you are super busy dropzone like Skydive AZ with people coming from all over the world and constantly have up jumpers, kinda hard to have a nice dz without tandems. Average DZ's don't make enough per up jumper to do a lot of stuff.

Just my opinion.

What's cool about Eloy is that you don't notice the tandems, but make no mistake, larry Hill is primarily in the tandem business. Skydive Arizona is one of the busiest tandem factorys in the US. Perhaps you've heard of some of the others: Cross Keys, Paris, Lodi. Although there are a few tandem only DZs, in general the big factories are also the big up-jumper centres as well.

I absolutely _love_ teaching and jumping with Tandem students who thought they couldn't do it by themselves because they were afraid. By the time I am through with them I have shown them just how much they _can_ do. It's incredibly fulfilling, good for the sport, and why I put so much effort into it.

But finding Tandem Instructors with that atitude is difficult now, and finding DZO's that don't just give up on training and herd them through like cash cows is even more difficult.

(It's also difficult for the Instructor that wants to train well but is not given the time to do so, or is so tired from the large numbers of Tandem jumps they do that they lose the desire to train well.)

And therein lies the key. It has to be used as a method of instruction, not as an amusement park ride.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

So, is it hindering the growth? How did you make your first jump?

I did two tandems as one off experiences, in 1995 and 2000. It wasn't until I did the AFF-1 (while organizing a tandem group for friends) that I got reeled in. Oddly enough, this was at a tandem factory, and perhaps the one that Mike referred to in his editorial.

Run as that DZ does, where the passenger does not get an altimeter, doesn't pull, and may not see the TI again because he's on a back to back to back, I don't see it as great for the sport. None of my friends jumped again. Other DZs that treat it as a training jump and give them the AFP checkoff sheet afterwards, or 30 day coupons, are setting up the next step for those that want it.

I had a similar impression about Eloy, but it could be that tandems are less obvious at Eloy if there are a lot of experienced jumpers around AND they put the tandems out on different aircraft because a busy day allows for it.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Tandem Jumping is a great way to introduce the sport. I made my first jump in Vegas--out of the 4 friends that went out that day(99) I am the only one who is still jumping. I was also the one crying the loudest on the way up. It may have been the best dare I ever took.

With that being said--I hate getting bumped off a load to accommodate a tandem, but I appreciate the fact that my home DZ still exists. With out the Tandem Tourist I would have to drive 200miles to another DZ.

If you want to talk about a tandem factory, look at skydive LV. That DZO hates fun jumpers. I wanted to make my 500th jump there to commemorate my first--I was told I would have to land a few miles off and wait for a shuttle(where is the emoticon for KISS MY ASS?)

I loved Eloy--you really don't notice the Tourists because they have so many jump aircraft---if all DZ's could be running two otters together than maybe we wouldnt have this discussion.

SORRY FOR THE ESSAY

Its not hindering growth, its funding it.
I don't think there's been any growth at the USPA to speak of in the last few years. MFT said last year it actually declined. And funding it? Last time I checked it was $169 to make a Tandem at my home DZ. Throw in a video and its maybe $250...I don't know for sure. How many tandems are there every day at your average DZ? It may be providing big $ at the bigger DZ's but I don't think that's the case at your average DZ.

TMs are often so busy rushing from load to load that they don't have time to recruit potential students.
Back in the day they were called First Jump Students and every single one of them was recruited in some form.

I'm beginning to see from everyone's posts that it's just easier and more lucrative for the DZO to do tandems. On a per person basis anyways. But I don't think your average DZ could survive on tandem alone.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

You make some really good points. I have only been on one jump, a tandem, but three members of my family are totally hooked and were after their first tandems. Since I'm not at that "hooked" point, but completely support the rest of my family. I do as much to promote and support our dropzone as I can from the ground. It seems whenever business moves into any sport, especially one which calls to people of independant spirits like skydiving does, you run the risk of creating "tandem factories", because tandems do pay the bills and buy the "nice stuff". But there are still dropzones that have a near perfect mix of enough tandems to pay the bills, and still retain the "spirit" of skydiving, which not only keeps the fun jumpers and club jumpers in the air, but also rubs off on a good number of first-timers and makes them want to go on to AFF or SL.:$

If the tandem was sensory overload for her, I don't see how any other way would have been better.

I agree totally, I did a tandem for my first jump, before I jumped I had decided that I was only going to do it once to shut up my jumper S.O. However, after my jump..I quickly signed up for the next FJC (which was the next weekend) and the rest is history as they say. I personally say it's good for the sport, b/c it offers a less expensive way to get the thrill, without having to learn as much, which in turn, I believe allows the passenger to enjoy more, by knowing they have an accomplished instructor taking care of all the nitty gritty. just my 2 cents...

Well, I've been jumping since way before tandem was invented and its definitely helped the sport......

As well as providing aircraft, facilities, and 7 day a week DZ's, tandems provides a living for many skydivers who would otherwise have to work at a real job.......

Skydiving is also a LOT more professional in terms of how it is conducted, and safer as a result....with a lot more experience around...

Also it has made skydiving a "normal" activity in the minds of the public, and authorities, and this means we are no longer regarded as a bunch of nutters with a death wish........making it easier to fight battles for sponsorship funds for teams, or win battles with people who would try to close us down....we can present very accurate statistics to prove skydiving is a safe activity.....we can even show them how its done......

Also it generates enormous public good will when we take crippled or blind people who would otherwise never experience these things.....priceless PR which is good for the sport.....

Skydiving is easier to do, with better facilities, and more people to jump with than it was in the 70's.......no question about it.......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Tandem is an opportunity to introduce those, who would otherwise not jump, to our sport. It is the responsibility of the tandem master to encourage all tandem students, except those that are physically unsuitable, to take their experience a step further and learn to skydive for themselves. If we do not embrace new techniques and ideas the sport will not grow. WOULD WE HAVE THE SAME POOL OF JUMPERS FROM WHICH TO DRAW OUR INSTRUCTORS IF STATIC LINE JUMPS WITH FORE AND AFT GEAR AND ROUND PARACHUTES WAS STILL THE ACCEPTED TRAINING METHOD?

He puts forth the idea that alot of DZO's aren't working hard enough to "grow" the base of new jumper's, preferring to cater to the tandem business instead.

The DZO's are simply trying to stay alive. It's nothing personal against "up jumpers".

Maybe we should ask Bill Booth and Ted Strong why they invented this method in the first place?

He puts forth the idea that alot of DZO's aren't working hard enough to "grow" the base of new jumper's, preferring to cater to the tandem business instead.

The DZO's are simply trying to stay alive. It's nothing personal against "up jumpers".

Maybe we should ask Bill Booth and Ted Strong why they invented this method in the first place?

I think it was Bill Booth, and he wanted to take his secretary for a skydive, the way I heard it.