egons

Relative Workshop Factory Tours

I guess without this sounding like a Relative Workshop advertisement – take it how you see it, but I think many of dz.commers stand to gain from this…

RWS is located in Deland, Florida. Thousands of skydivers make their pilgrimage to Skydive Deland and should you find yourself being one of these individuals or group of skydivers I highly encourage you to pay me a visit at the factory.

The reason why I post this is merely that I want each and every one of you to be clear that we are extremely approachable and enjoy offering skydivers the opportunity to visit our facilities – we are very proud of what we have and how we do things! You will get a personal tour around our facilities from the front desk through the productions facility – here you will see how a Vector 3 or Sigma for that fact starts off from its cut process right through to the last building stage of completing the harness… and then into the caged area where the products get a 3rd and final inspection! You will get to see the rigging facilities whereby the riggers are busy non-stop doing repair work – yes those student systems do happen to slide across runways occasionally;)! From Rigging you will be guided into Para-Stock’s facilities… want to see how we test the fabrics and hardware? You will see some old and new machines used by this diverse industry and you will walk away so much more enlightened as to what it takes to deliver you a quality product… Now this tour is not only designed for skydivers whom are looking at the purchase of a new rig, but for those who also wish to learn also little more of what happens behind the scenes at one of the biggest manufacturers in the industry irrespective of what gear you jump. Take it from me that many skydivers from Master Rigger’s to first time jumpers will learn a whole bunch.

I am sure there are many skydivers on these forums will be testament to the tour that you will experience at Relative Workshop. :P

So, if you find yourself passing by please drop in and say hi… you might just find we are actually some very cool skydivers ourselves and we also like to meet all off you. We promise a damn fine time that will be well worth your time!

Looking forward to meeting many of you when you’re in Deland or wherever we may be on the road! Guess that some of you can let some of the skydivers out on the forums understand what they could possibly get out of this kind of tour!!!B|

Blue skies!!!

Egon Sussmann
Sales & Marketing
Tandem Program Examiner
The Uninsured Relative Workshop, Inc.
www.relativeworkshop.com

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

So, if you find yourself passing by please drop in and say hi… you might just find we are actually some very cool skydivers ourselves and we also like to meet all off you. We promise a damn fine time that will be well worth your time!

Good deal...see you the first week in JulyB|

I was in the group that showed up for a tour the day before the PIA symposium started in January. You looked about ready to pull every hair out of your head. And yet we were still able to get the complete tour, including the tensile test machine demo. I loved it. Course I jump a vector3, so it was kinda nice to see just how many inpections every component went through before it ended up in my hands.

Getting weathered out at deland wasn't so bad afterall!

Dave

Yes I do remember your group!:P That was a very stressful day for us at RWS getting prepared for the PIA Convention.
Typically I use Type 7 for the pull tests... it has a nice effect especially since many harnesses out in the field have this type of webbing incorporated in their design!

Hope to see you back at the Factory sometime soon again;)

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

In about 1993 Moe Viletto and I stopped by RWS just to say a quick hello. Bill Booth was a subscriber to the BASE magazine I used to publish back then and he graciously gave us a tour himself. We went through all the departments, but like most people the thing you'll remember is the tensile tester.

After loading a piece of Type 7 into the machine Bill put a load on it and then opened the case. We each flicked a finger at the webbing and it felt just like a piece of steel. After closing the case Bill pulled the webbing to destruction and THAT was impressive.

The highlight however was Bill taking Moe for a flight in his personal aircraft, a Lake Amphibian. We they returned Moe said Bill gave him an aerial tour of all the local radio towers we were hoping to jump.

Over the years I've met most of the major manufactures, Le Blanc, Sherman, Strong, and Galloway, etc., and they are all great guys but Bill Booth is special. Anyone who purchased Bill's new Wonderhog in the 1970s experienced a sea change in skydiving rigs. His bringing the throw out pilot chute and Three Ring release to the sport is still probably the biggest innovation I've seen in skydiving gear. He dosen't get enough credit for that today as you needed to be in the sport before that time to truly appreciate the significance of the Wonderhog.

Oh, and we saw the Fur lined diamond studded Vector too . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

The good thing for most of you out there is that our manufacturing lead time has come down considerably now! We put in one more production line specifically for the Sigma and now we are going to be adding a 3rd line to cater for added business so that we can keep our lead time down - to give you an idea we ran at any where between 16-20 weeks last year! Currently with all the improvements we have managed to bring this down to an awesome 7-8 weeks lead time, so what that means is if you ordered your rig today it will be ready in max. 8 weeks!
I think this is certainly a big improvement on the past 24 frustrating months of long lead times... what is even better is that when you visit you actually get to see the sport line - its very much larger than the others.:P We have been working really hard to please our sport customers!!! I fight your fight here at the factory...

Cheers

Oh, and we saw the Fur lined diamond studded Vector too . . .
------------------------
Yes we still have this rig for you to see...B|

Hey, when we tried to do this last November, you were out gallavanting all over New Zealand on some kind of "work" thing. ;)

Maybe we'll try again later this year! And BTW, I had my first Sigma chop with the Skyhook Saturday...I think you may have a convert to RWS when I shop for my next rig. :)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I had my first Sigma chop with the Skyhook Saturday...I think you may have a convert to RWS when I shop for my next rig. :)

Please tell us more - what malfunction, what did you do, were you spinning, how fast was a reserve deployement, any line twists, etc. :)

I got a tour last year from Bill and Mark and it is a awesome learning experience. I really liked the material tests. If anyone's in the area definitely do it.

dave

Hey, when we tried to do this last November, you were out gallavanting all over New Zealand on some kind of "work" thing. ;)
:)

He was out visiting us in Oz and NZ,
It was a VERY rare thing, we antipodeans don't get to have Factory reps at our Boogies, especially with Demo kits and loads of freebie stuff:)
I was very fortunate to meet Egon and Lyle (from Sunpath).
It's nice to be able to meet the people you deal with, when making such a large finacial commitment.

Consequently, I've ordered a Micron:):D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So come on now! :P

Who has been on the tour and what did you think? Did you learn anything?

I've actually gotten somewhat of a tour every time I've showed up! (3 times since 2000) B|

There's always something I didn't see the previous time.

You gave me the last one when I came to pick up my rebuilt Sigma that I've worn out in Texas. :)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Gee, has it changed since I left? Let's see, we had one harness machine and one single needle container machine and a bunch of shelves and boxes of fabric, hardware, and webbing in Pam Tayon's converted garage in Miami.

I'm guessing things look a little different these days. I just have to come by for a tour!

BTW, Bill had no beard while I worked for him building the first 100 or so Wonderhogs (no, I don't have a picture, but I think Pam might)....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Ah Mike! Well someone has to travel the planet...:P

Glad that your chop worked out well - how those line sets or were you unstable again;) Do let me know when you come back to Deland... it will be good to catch up and then we can measure you for another rig:ph34r:

Cheers my friend!