egons

Relative Workshop Factory Tours

I am glad you found our service to be helpful - and I do look forward to meeting you and showing you the facilities... Your are not very far from us, so no more excuses!!!

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

Who has been on the tour and what did you think? Did you learn anything?

I have spent WAY to much time in that building.

My Ex-wife Mo, used to handle the tandem records.

Niklas Gummeson was my Teammate for years.

Before I started jumping a Vector in 02, Niklas and Bill Booth took me through the building showing me all about the rig, how it was made, and WHY they did things the way they do.

Little things like how you guys took the three ring and almost 20 years latter were still working on them. How the Reserve PC has no mesh so that it will have enough drag to launch no matter what part of the PC gets exposed. I joked that I wanted dive loops on my reserve risers...Bill made this very somber face. He say me down and explained that in no way would they do that...Even after I told him I was joking, he explained about how important it is to not add anything to such a critical system that has not been tested to the "Nth" degree.

When I got my first Vector Bill and I modified my bag to try out a little different line stow method.

Louie designed third risers for my Vector, he didn't just slap some stuff together, he really did a good job making them.

And when my freebag got some blood on it...Don't ask, not that exciting of a story, Louie replaced it.

I have seen the Mink rig, and the other special rigs.

Spent some time in Bills office talking about how he came up with the Sigma, and tons of other stories....How he had the first throwout PC stuffed into the pocket of his jeans....First tandem that had him and a friend using a cargo chute packed into a duffelbag:o.

I can honestly say that Bill amazes me everytime I talk to him.

I had Niklas hand me the bungie risers as a joke, and I have seen the pile of rigs in the attic...My old teammates is up there.

The first time Niklas showed me the pull test machine I played with that thing for about 30 min breaking all kinds webbing. When type 7 goes its like a shotgun...(I think the sewers were getting pissed at me :P).

I have to say I learn something everytime I am in there.

My last cutaway (this past weekend). I had such faith in my rig that when I looked up I thought, "Here we go again". Pulled both handles and never worried about the reserve coming out, I was busy checking my spot.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yes, Bill Booth gave Andrew Whyte and I a tour of the RWS factory the day after the PIA Symposium.
I was fascinated by the early (external, spring-loaded main pilotchute) Wonderhog sitting beside the front door.
Bill gave us the usual 20 minute tour then devoted another 20 in his office to explaining the finer points of reversed 3-Ring risers, the latest tandem fatality, etc.
A fascinating tour by a generous man.

Please tell us more - what malfunction, what did you do, were you spinning, how fast was a reserve deployement, any line twists, etc.

It was line twists, with a nice easy turn built in that was starting to accelerate. Told my student to return to the "safe" position, pulled green...and had line stretch on the reserve. It was literally about .5 seconds from 3-ring release to line stretch. I was actually so stunned it took me another second to finish pulling the reserve ripcord. :$ Nice slow reserve deployment, no line twists.

The reason for my shock is that a normal sub-terminal reserve deployment with a Vector tandem system can take 1000 feet (not picking on RWS here, just happens to be the only one I've had cutaways on). It's generally a good 3-5 seconds to line stretch (plenty of time to hear that "ooooOOOOHHHHHHHHH" sound coming from your student ;)), and then a few more for the opening. I'll take the Skyhook opening anytime, I was impressed enough to seriously think about getting a Vector for my next rig.

Maybe I'll wait for the factory tour first! ;)
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

can i just say that the factory tour we got from egon was incredible!?!

justi and i were in deland for a few days last month and paige kept telling us to go take a tour of the RWS factory. i didn't really want to, but since we had crappy weather for the 4 straight days we were there, we figured why not?

we were kindly greeted by you, egon! you showed us everything and explained a lot to us. i learned so much on the tour that i can't begin to thank you enough. you answered all our questions throughly and clearly. im thinking my next rig might even be a vector! it was cool seeing everyone at work doing their thing, whether it was cutting fabric or sweing shit together.

to make a long story short... we ended up going back to visit RWS and egon:$ several times in those 4 days!

i'd like to thank paige for suggesting we go visit the factory, the crappy weather in deland for giving us the opportunity to make the visit, egon for being the best tour guide on earth as well as a male nurse (remember the bandaids?) and one of the sexiest south africans i know:P

i will for sure be back! thanks again!

Yes you girls came, saw and conquered Deland! I am so glad you had a wonderful time...
Its incredibly satisfying for us at RWS that skydivers learn a little more about gear - even if it is not a Vector! Keeping in mind that skydivers have large turbines and jumping there asses off which is wonderful - the down side is they spend a little less time on the ground learning more about their gear they own and how and why it functions the way it does...
Bless you girl for walking away learning - and I am sure you feel so much more confident with gear now... this in fact makes you a far safer skydiver than you think;)
Ah... I am far from a nurse, but I was glad that I could have been of some assistance - look forward to you visiting us again and making our days just that more brighter:P
Paige is incredible - I remember taking Paige on a tour some time ago - funny she even brought her parents around for a tour so they could sleep at night knowing that their little girl was jumping gear that was not made in some back yard operation:ph34r:

Its really good to see that people enjoy these tours and it gives us extra motivation to continue educating skydivers and expanding on the tours and offering even more...

... Alana this doesn't change anything as I still think you are a snob:)

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

...the factory is only open Monday through Friday - we do need to give the staff a break too:P

If you had a group of folks and were going to be in town we could be convinced to open up and give a tour... the effect will not be the same, because the machines will not be running! If you are coming to Deland for a weekend try and get here friday afternoon at least!

...the factory is only open Monday through Friday - we do need to give the staff a break too:P

If you had a group of folks and were going to be in town we could be convinced to open up and give a tour... the effect will not be the same, because the machines will not be running! If you are coming to Deland for a weekend try and get here friday afternoon at least!

Well, I have to admit, Bill even gave ME weekends off when I was his only rigger making the Wonderhogs, so can't complain too much about that. I will try for a week day if at all possible.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

...Now stop bitching - Florida is not that bad! Yes it is not up in the Arctic like Chicago, but you may just come and leave having a wonderful time:P
See ya soon girl...:)

Ah! Just gave a tour to 7 Italian skydivers in town for a week... should have seen the girls in the office:P Guess its something to do with their accents, but then what would I know?B|

Listen girl! We do not want you to scare them away - they are here for a few more days!
In fact I always recommend that skydivers visit every factory in this town - for me personally PD is a very interesting factory to tour... and they have a very good looking Arlo working there too:$

I didn't get the full ofificial tour, but RWS greatly impressed me in the customer service arena. I showed up without calling after 4:00pm - I had an issue with one of my toggles and I wanted it looked at and/or replaced. Pablo immediately stopped everything he was doing, took me back in the shop and replaced the toggle. He was very friendly and helpful, which was a good feeling as I am new skydiver. After the toggle was replaced I gathered up my rig and canopy and he said there is no sense hauling it out, just pack it right here! The best part was the toggle was replaced under warranty and he didn't even charge me.

I could not be more pleased with RWS and again am comforted with knowing I made the right decision when I purchased my Vector 3.

Next time I am in Deland I will stop by again for the tour.