Cookiemunster

Does out out of proportion affect...

Hey!

Does being a person not in proportion affect your skydiving learning speed? (very TALL with long limbs,thin) I had a hard time staying level in the wind tunnel and basicly they told me i wouldn't be able to do it...

:) <---Thought this was supposed to be a nurse,hehe
"Dont let the green grass fool you, and dont let it change your mind!"

I was at a Flyaway Place on the East Coast...and nope =) i never got to do the mantis thing because i was sharing tunnel time with a bunch of people...they basicly said because the wind was 120mph and i was 119lbs and still couldn't get off the grate that i sucked! What an encouragement =)
"Dont let the green grass fool you, and dont let it change your mind!"

Screw them. Even I could get off the net at a portable push tunnel that was in Houston. I'm 6'1" and 259lbs.

You can do it, it'll just take some learn'n. Don't worry about it now, go on skydiving and your instructors will help you out.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't know much about wind tunnels, but you have a Huge advantage in skydiving with your kind of build. Keep jumping, and when the time is right, get a tight RW suit and talk to other women about wearing weights. I know several women with your build who are smokin' awesome skydivers. :)

You belong in a Wing suit. Keep jumping till you get 200+ dives - no matter what. All those people who hear "You're not fast enough" all the time will discover their talent when they spread their wings.
It's the year of the Pig.

No problem. Short & fat and tall & thin, and everything in between-- there is joy in skydiving for them all. You can do any kind of skydiving with any body type. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a weenie. Some things are easier for one type or another, but that is all.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

hey basicly said because the wind was 120mph and i was 119lbs and still couldn't get off the grate that i sucked!

119lb and really tall would mean it ought to be really easy for you to get off the grate.

so basically yeah you sucked. :P

the great thing about that is that it was simply your skills that sucked as opposed to your body shape. Now that's hardly surprising given it was your first go - so don't give up, just have another go. We all sucked when we first started.

Remember: you sucked NOT your body. You can change your skills with a little practice, you can't change your body so easily. The fact that you sucked is good. It means there's no reason you shouldn't skydive based on your body shape... it simply means that just like the rest of us you didn't perform like a gold medalist at your first go.

Of course you can skydive!

The first time in a tunnel is tough for everybody, but it can be tougher for some people than others. The tunnel worker may have been having a bad day, and give you that line of nonsense because HE was frustrated and didn't want to spend the effort to get you stable. Your balance point will be different than other people, and your freefall speed will be a bit different too. Different isn't bad.

If you are still close to the tunnel, give them a call and express your dissatisfaction with the comments, and the lack of support from that individual tunnel worker. Ask for a make good session, and give it another try.

I don't think the business (I believe you identified it as Flyaway on the East coast) wants have a reputation of disrespecting their customers. Most of the folks who work in tunnels really love what they do, and enjoy sharing the thrill of flying with their customers.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

(very TALL with long limbs,thin

Wait until you learn to track, people will be envious.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wingsuits. Ooooh.

I'm still a student, but I'm 6'5" and maybe 180lbs if I get real wet and hold some books. My first instructor was a bit of an anvil and gave me some stick about my fall rate.

But those wingsuit people look like they're having an awful lot of fun. Thinking that my snowflake configuration will be an advantage in one of the disciplines that looks the most appealing... well, that's encouraging.

[edit: speling]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Does being a person not in proportion affect your skydiving learning speed? (very TALL with long limbs,thin) I had a hard time staying level in the wind tunnel and basicly they told me i wouldn't be able to do it...

Bullwhacky.. if that is what they said.. they need to get out of the tunnel and go jump.

There are LOTS of tall thin people who are awsum skydivers.. and when they get older and fatter.... the right equipment can help them still stay with other floatybutts:) ( personal knowledge here)

Hey!

:) <---Thought this was supposed to be a nurse,hehe

I was out of jumping for a long time before I ever saw a wind tunnel. The guys running it gave me extra time for being a skydiver and I have to say I had a lot of trouble staying level (if you mean staying over the center of the wind stream) myself. I never had to just fall straight down when I jumped, I was always approaching and docking or whatever. I'm sure I could learn to do it, but it was harder than actually jumping for me.

To add perspective, almost all my 1000 jumps were relative work. I was in one east coast record (35 round star) and two world records (16th in first 16 man diamond and 19th in first 20 man papillon), so I believe I could fly ok....

My advice would be to attempt the "make it good" re-ride as mentioned earlier or try another tunnel, or just go jump from a plane (the sky has a pretty big sweet spot).

Edited to add: In the 70's, formations were called 10 man, 16 man, etc., no disrepect meant, just substitute way for man....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

You belong in a Wing suit. Keep jumping till you get 200+ dives - no matter what. All those people who hear "You're not fast enough" all the time will discover their talent when they spread their wings.

What he said.

Also, I've found that being tall & skinny (my BMI is stuck around 18) gives flexibility when freeflying.

You'll be able to go slower than the average jumper when in a sitfly (think hybrid jumps 8). If you straighten up a little bit, into a crouch and almost into a stand you'll be able to keep up with ordinary folk. And in a full stand or headdown your wind profile will end up being quite small so you'll have plenty of speed should you so desire it.

Just make sure you have tight-fitting clothes :)
nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?