Kimblair13

Softball vs. Skydiving

Ok...here's the story,
I play softball for a private college. We just finished our season, winning a little under half our games. We had no hopes for any post season action. Well, today we found out that we will be going to nationals in Georgia. I live in Oregon. I was completely happy with the season being over. Didn't really get along with the coach, loved my team, but didn't really enjoy the season as much as I used to. We leave in 2 days and will be gone until Monday morning. Thing is, I'm leaving to get my tandem rating tomorrow. It'll take atleast tomorrow night and Wednesday. The place I'm going is 5 hours away from here. So, I wouldn't be leaving with my team, but my coach said that since we don't actually play til Friday, he'd fly me over Thursday. But, I'd be missing out on a huge weekend of being a tandem master and we're gonna be extremely busy with a large group. I also REALLY need the money to help pay off a little of my tuition. I'm sure I'd regret not going to nationals. I'm also sure I'll regret not being out jumping this weekend. What does anyone else think? I really can't decide. I've been thinking about it all day and I have to decide by tomorrow morning.

Easy. You made a commitment to the team at the beginning of the year. Honor your commitment and finish all of your responsibilities as a team member. Your coach is being very nice to you to fly you out separately, not all would do that. He obviously wants you there and you owe it to him and your teammates to be there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have played high levels of rugby inthe south for about 10 years now so I know what you are going to through... All I have to ask is ...in five years which one are you going to be able to do, the softball or the skydiving? If you cant play softball in five years then skip the skydiving because you can do it when you are 60+.. if you will still be playing softball at a high level in five years then still go because you sill regret it.. basically you will not be able to play competitive softball all your life but you will be able to skydive all your life....

hmmm....

skydive (which you can do other weekends) or go to a national competition that you'll never get to go to again, with teammates that are depending on you?

hmm... choices choices

Seems obvious to me! Go and have fun with your team!

Jen
Arianna Frances

You are a much better softball player than you are a tandem master (you're brand-new, and actually have pretty low numbers for a tandem master)

Honor your commitment to your team. You may choose skydiving over softball from now on, but finish softball big!

Remember why you play!

Wasn't this a South Park episode?

With the team having a losing record, I'm don't see as strong an obligation to go to "Nationals." Did you get any benefits from your college for playing on the team? Do you have any intention to return next year? If your fill in a considerable step down in ability?

If the answer is no across the board, I think you can bail.

Sorry Kelp, I think she needs to stay;)

You have the rest of your life to skydive! Your team may not be a winning team, but you made a committment. Now it's about trust. Your team is there for you and they expect you to be there for them. 9 players on the field and 9 batters in the line up make the difference in each game. You are one of the 9 that can be the "difference." Stick it through, you will feel better and have respect from your piers (and even that #!@#$ Coach) in the long run.

Have fun and play ball....it's my 2c.

P.s. I've coached the sport for endless years, and am the mother of a player in college...I understand.

If the answer is no across the board, I think you can bail.

The only question that matters here is "was a commitment made to the softball team?" If the answer to that question is no, then if it were me, yeah I'd bail. If the answer to that question is yes, integrity says it's a weekend for softball not skydiving.

Ok.. go do the Softball thing.. but.. take your rig along.. I hear they do skydive in GA... IF you can break away .. depending on how things go find the closest DZ and say hi to other DIZZIE DOT COMMERS.. Hell maybe one of them will even give you a ride.:)

Ok...here's the story,
I play softball for a private college.
I'm leaving to get my tandem rating tomorrow. It'll take at least tomorrow night and Wednesday.

I'd be missing out on a huge weekend of being a tandem master and we're gonna be extremely busy with a large group. I also REALLY need the money to help pay off a little of my tuition.

My first reaction is "WOW" I would guess that your profile is not updated as what it says now is not enough for a tandem rating but assuming that it is the motovation you are using is maybe not the best. Tandem jumps are not just another jump. Getting you rating is a process of learning and probationary jumps with experienced jumpers then with "live" passangers. Getting the rating for a specific weekend a few days ahead with one of the primary motovating factors being money might not be the best course of action.

All of this is separate from the Softball Team. You owe it to that group to go to nationals as it is a once in a lifetime thing in many situations. Besides that you have made a committment to the team. You will have a good time at Nationals and would probably regret it if you did nt go. "Big" skydiving weekends will always come along and I am sure that given the time of year and just being the begining of the jumping season many more will come along!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

(Quote)My first reaction is "WOW" I would guess that your profile is not updated as what it says now is not enough for a tandem rating but assuming that it is the motovation you are using is maybe not the best. Getting you rating is a process of learning and probationary jumps with experienced jumpers then with "live" passangers. Getting the rating for a specific weekend a few days ahead with one of the primary motovating factors being money might not be the best course of action.(Quote)

My profile is not correct. I just haven't updated. Anyway. I'm going with my team.:)

"Tandem jumps are not just another jump"
Yes, I do believe I read that in the Strong TICC
Actually...
"A tadem jump is not just another skydive":P

Hey Kim:
I think you made the right decision. In our climate trying to get a tandem rating during this time of year is fairly difficult. When Gile and I went to get ours (the beginning of May a few years ago) we took 3 days and paid for many flights up just to find out we did not have enough altitude to jump. It was rather frustrating and expensive.
See you around
Kirk

My profile is not correct. I just haven't updated. Anyway. I'm going with my team.Smile Thanks to all that replied to my specific question and didn't turn this into a "how many jumps does she have" debate.Crazy

So please update it, Kim. I care about you and the sport, and I'm not alone. What limited experience I have is more likely to be shared with someone like you, who is working hard to get the experience necessary to teach others, than to share with someone who is inexperienced and has a desire to teach at the minimum allowable skill level.

I'm glad you chose to participate in the game.

My team is exclusively first-year 8 year olds, with one third-year 12 year old who just can't be bothered to come to practice. (my league is 8 to 12 years old, so we are obviously getting the crap kicked out of us every game, but we are taking great pride in our improvement) The 12 year old hates getting beat. She could have been a real motivator to our little ones, but she has chosen to have other things be more important.

You may just be the motivator that turns that team around next year. I hope so.

JP

My team is exclusively first-year 8 year olds, with one third-year 12 year old who just can't be bothered to come to practice. (my league is 8 to 12 years old, so we are obviously getting the crap kicked out of us every game, but we are taking great pride in our improvement) The 12 year old hates getting beat. She could have been a real motivator to our little ones, but she has chosen to have other things be more important.

That's asking a lot of a 12 yo. The deck is stacked against her and any improvement will come long after she must move on. She'd have to be a saint.

A division of 8-12yo seems far too wide - 2nd graders versus girls with breasts?

You don't get it.

Girls mature in a weird ass way. The 12 y/o must be an uncoordinated-type, or just TINY. Otherwise she would not even be close to them....and also, it must be realized, for insurance purposes, it wouldn't be "safe" if she weren't their size or on the same playing level..

There are some gigantic 12 y/o's and some teeny tiney ones..

Still. The point stands. Make a commitment. Stand with it. You will respect yourself, and be respected by your peers. A good lesson in life is to never be a "quitter."

...funny how that applies here, huh.:ph34r:

Still. The point stands. Make a commitment. Stand with it. You will respect yourself, and be respected by your peers. A good lesson in life is to never be a "quitter."

If we're back to the OP, she could justify either decision. She completed the season - the commitment was met. This extra tourney came out of left field with less than a week's notice, interfering with a prior commitment she made to herself.

OK...I did my classroom work Tuesday. Phase I jumps Wednesday and have been in GA since. We won both games so far and if we win our next two we'll be national champs. However. It's fricken pooring right now with high winds, lightning, thunder and a tornado watch. So, our games our on delay for now. Hopefully it clears up. GA weather is crazy, yesterday it was fricken nice!