Nickkk

What jump # did you first land standing up?

So, as the title reads, What jump number was the first time you executed a stand up landing?

#3. It was my first freefall jump after 2 static lines.

On SL #1, I landed on my feet and then tottered back to my butt.
On SL #2, I landed on my feet and sprawled onto my hands.
Then came AFF #1 and I stepped it out and remained standing.

Fast forward some years ahead...
When I resumed training with the intent of getting licensed, I kept careful track of logging which landings I stood up and which I stumbled. Since I've been standing them up regularly for over a hundred jumps, I put a mark on one log entry that says, "All entries henceforth will assume stand-up landing unless otherwise noted.*"
That was on New Year's Day this year. :)
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

i stood up 27 of my first 30 jumps.

first time i fell was on my aff graduation jump >:(

the bad thing is i didn't learn to plf for a while and got into the bad habit of trying to stand up every landing even if i knew i could get hurt.

I know someone who landed, standing, smack in the middle of the tarmac at Pahokee on his graduation jump. DOUBLE BEER!! :D

P.S. I cheated. Pilot training makes it, in my opinion, much much easier to have and keep your bearings while flying your canopy, and landing it. I would love to read comments on that. Do other pilots agree that your skills are helped by pilot training?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I think my first standup was around jump 5 or so. But I had fairly inconsistant landings on the centre student kits and the hire rigs with 20 y/o (knackered) furies.

It wasnt till I got my own kit (about 70 jumps) with a sabre 170 in it that I started landing consistantly.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Don't blush-I think that around #15 I landed, took about 4 steps, stopped and then went down to one knee just because I was confused about what was going on. It was a while before I stood up another one.

That made me laugh. Same thing happened to me at about jump 15 or so.

I didn't start standing up consistently until I took Scott Miller's course at around 75 jumps. My problem was that I was really reluctant to look out at the horizon instead of staring at the ground. I was afraid I'd pound myself into the deck without warning.

When I took the course and mustered up the nerve to do as I was instructed, I found that landing got much easier.
Owned by Remi #?

can't really remember, but standups were rare for me when i was a student, i couldn't land the skymaster 290's for shit!!

soon as i qualified and got my hornet 190 i stood up pretty much all of my landings without a problem!!

i've jumped the skymaster 290 again since (with over 200 jumps at the time, i was waiting for a reserve pack and all the smaller hire rigs were taken) and had to take 3 wraps on the toggles just to get the canopy to the flare point, then it was easy to stand up :)

I was getting very tense waiting for the instructor to tell me to start flaring. The ground was starting to get uncomfortablty close close. I was actually planning to PLF. Then, at last, I heard my instructor say, "OK, flare now" and as I started to flare my instructor quickly added, "Stand it up!" I thought, "Really, OK!" and did B|

Got out my first log book and as I suspected, there was nothing written in it about landings. As I remember, we were encouraged to do a PLF as part of our training and were not encouraged to do a stand up. Although I remember that I did stand up a few of my T-10 landings during my 27 jumps on student status. I stood up my first reserve landing on my 37th jump though. That was using a 26ft Pioneer Lo Po. Very nice little round reserve.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

#3. Got pretty consistent for awhile, but last 2 weeks with no wind landings I have struggled. I want to get some landing videos to critique my flare timing.

Ed
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Strongly agree that learning to fly a jet makes landing a parachute easier. Not to mention the drills we did for ejection training. I'd like to see us get credit for our water survival training. No offense intended against the fine instructor I had for my civilian water training, but it was all more than covered in my military training.

Also, strongly agree with the person who mentioned Scott Millers course. I took it on jumps 13-18 and have since had tremendous confidence in landing.

Whirled Peas

I was able to land standing on my first jump. I am usually able to land very well. I failed AFF 3 twice but I was able to land nicely. That just goes to show that goodlanding doesn't mean good skydiver. And just because I stood #1 doesn't mean I have done it everytime.

JAMES

#3 tandem. (4 tandems, 2 standup)
#1 solo. (13 solos, 12 standup)

All but 1 solo landed standing up. One butt landing in the pea gravel. Although on one other, there was a near-butt-landing as wind pulled me right back up before I collapsed the canopy. I have experienced various directions already (running, stepping forward, 20 degrees sideways, and even landing backwards, strong wind, plus at least one instance of nearly zero wind), which I managed standup.

Old Manta 288's make up the majority of student canopies at my small home DZ now.....and many(dare I say most) 1st jump students have stand up landings.

But, really, truly, thank the fluffy 288sq ft canopy for that, loaded at only 0.65. It's literally landing me (almost.) ;) Okay, I flared reasonably well for a student most of the time. I think excellent by some standards, but I have no idea how I measure up to an average student...

There was many times of borderline winds, and a couple of times that ground winds really picked up after we were already up.

In this particular instance, I should thank the mantra by my instructor (And reinforced by so many sources everywhere) about the danger of flaring early. That gave me a standup landing on my first solo. My pratice flares during tandems helped with timing. On one of my solos, I did flare clearly early once, mostly due to a distraction of a guy running towards me for the first time. It was windy, and he was just going into position to collapse my canopy, I thought he was panicking about something else. Ooops.