Mockingbird

Being able to think during freefall

I only have 10 jumps. Twice I've experienced what I think is described as sensory overload, but on probably every jump except one, I haven't been able to think as clearly and to process information the same way that I do on the ground. It's like information up there just doesn't always register. Is this normal at my stage?

My brother swears that I have ADHD, and frankly, I think he's right because I notice the symptoms myself at times; and I know I had a problem with it as a student. My brain is so active, constantly switching tracks. However, when I'm engaged in something I love, I'm able to focus very well... sometimes too well, in that I tend to analyze the heck out of every detail.

Will being able to think and respond logically up there eventually become second nature?
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I personally call it "The Blur Factor". Your mind KNOWS that your ass isn't supposed to be where it is at! It will diminish gradually (some faster than others) over the next several hundred jumps, and you will gain more and more of what is referred to as "in-air-awareness". I know some might argue with this, but I am not sure if anyone ever gets 100% out of it. 99.9999999999% maybe for some of the sky lords, but I think there is always a touch of it. Keep jumping and enjoy all of it!

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I have great memories of my first jump. It was a static line jump. It goes something like this.

aeroplane
aeroplane
aeroplane
"In the door..."
"Look up..."
"three thousand, check canopy."

Second jump went somewhat similar. By the third I think I was actually able to remember the exit.

Don't sweat it - it's normal.

LOL - mine was somewhat similar except after "look up" it was "WTF???? - oh, there's an open canopy. F*ck, what am I doing floating here 3000' above the ground? As soon as I get down I'm getting away and never doing this again".
Congrats on actually being able to remember to count somewhere in there!!

Mockingbird, I have 19 ff's now - not much more than you - but already is a huge difference in 'thinkability'.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Normal.

In fact it is one of the reason I like this sport...From the door to landing it used to be all I could think of...

Now strange thoughts pop into my head like, "should I blanace my checkbook when I land, does my car need an oil change?" unless I am really working (AFF, 4way).
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Now strange thoughts pop into my head like, "should I blanace my checkbook when I land, does my car need an oil change?" unless I am really working (AFF, 4way).

That's pretty funny... I remember thinking once, "I wonder what I should make for dinner tonight?" I also thought once, "I just have a nice conversation with an old friend. Cool." B|:P

Normal.

In fact it is one of the reason I like this sport...From the door to landing it used to be all I could think of...

Yes! That is one reason I love this sport, too! When I am jumping, there is nothing going thru my mind -- I love it!! I am also one of those people who's always thinking. But when I'm in the sky thats the one time that my mind is clear and free of clutter! :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

That's exactly how I was my first jump (AFF).

I went on my back for my and my instructor said my eyes were bulging like WTF :o
We got down and debriefed and asked me to tell him what happened. I said, I remember getting out of the plane, going on my back, turning back over (probably by arching) and then pulling, that's it.

i guess it just comes with time/experience because that doens't happen anymore.
You just keep learning on every skydive, at least I do.
Also my previous coaches and others that have given me advice told me that when you are in the air and want to go somewhere, just look to the spot and your body will follow. It's pretty neat. Now sometimes I don't know how I got there but I did.
Helps if you have video to see what your body is actually doing.
Have fun!!:)

A little off topic but funny.... I know a guy who on his first AFF jump flipped over on his back, his instructors were on both sides belly to earth trying to get him to roll back over. After they landed this guy accused his instructors of playing a nasty joke on him and flying the whole freefall on their backs.

Yep, perfectly normal. In fact. . .I started really becoming aware of my body and what I was doing once I was licensed and flying with others. Before that, I was just mechanically doing what I was told to do. . .not really aware during freefall. I did take canopy piloting pretty seriously though. . .flight is amazing to me so I really wanted to learn that part well. . .now I love freefall and being aware of everything.
FGF #6
Darcy

Your post is a blessing!

I myself am a student at SSM and just did my last tandem a couple of weeks ago. During the last jump, I found myself zoning out during freefall as well. Plus I couldn't seem to get my arms to work to do the turns! I went with this guy named Jason Lemley and he was very patient and understanding. When we landed and he told me I could stand, I fell on my face and my dear sweet husband was there to capture the moment with our camera!

Anyway, I'm in no position to give advice, it's just so helpful knowing I'm not the only one to experience that. Way to go on doing ten jumps. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime. I'm starting gound school on July 16 and I guess AFF (if all goes well). Good luck and enjoy the skies!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

It definitely gets better (at least it has for me). I remember doing a a two-way jump with Flybert71 following on video when I had about 50 jumps. When we got down he teased me for completely failing to geek the camera ... "Nope, nope, you had a job to do and you were focused." And he was right. My awareness was still very limited - I knew what I was supposed to be doing, and I could focus on the person I was doing a two-way with, but finding that camera flyer and smiling and waving? Wasn't gonna happen!

Now, a mere 60-some jumps later, I'm much more able to take stock of the whole picture in the sky. Makes it more fun because I can geek the camera, make faces, smile and laugh when things aren't perfect, adjust on the fly, etc, but it is also making me a safer skydiver to have that more holistic awareness.

It'll come with time. You'll find that gradually you're aware of more and more things going on around you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I haven't been able to think as clearly and to process information the same way that I do on the ground. It's like information up there just doesn't always register. Is this normal at my stage?

This isn't peculiar to skydiving - but it may be more noticeable because of the circumstance. Physiologically you just got a shot of adrenaline - a very powerful hormone. It is a response to stress, like fear or fright. Both stimuli will probably be reduced over time reducing your adrenaline rush. Epinephrine - another name for adrenaline speeds up the heart, constricts the blood vessels, dialates bronchia, relaxes the bladder and bowels, and prepares you for fight or flight. It makes your body ready for dangerous action, but it doesn't result in making the mind more analytical or thoughtful. In short - you're doing what comes naturally.

As you mentally check off the 101 things you're trying to process in freefall your stress levels will go down, the adrenaline pump will slow down, and your body's more relaxed state will promote a physiological condition that is more supportive of rational thought.

It's the same for a soldier the first time they come under fire or a quaterback the very first time they take a snap it a full contact practice.

Enjoy the experience, it's a great opportunity to get in touch with your inner ANIMAL ;)

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I appreciate all these replies---- knowing that my experience is normal will definitely boost my confidence from now on. THANKS y'all.

ALW's physiological explanation, too--- it really helped to put my experience into perspective. It makes total sense. I just hope that I don't ever get to the point that there's NO rush of adrenalin.

I like jumping because I forget about these things...guess I'll make sure that skydiving never becomes a profession...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I like jumping because I forget about these things...guess I'll make sure that skydiving never becomes a profession...

Its not about jumps, its about being relaxed in freefall. After 3600 jumps, I can think about other things on most jumps.

When I have to really concentrait on the task (AFF or 4way) then I don't have time to think anything else.

But on a "fun" jump or a big way, thoughts can pop into my mind.

Wait until you are relaxed enough you can fart in freefall:P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

When I have to really concentrait on the task (AFF or 4way) then I don't have time to think anything else.

This is where I'm at. And I have a million things going on normally, but in the high focus jumps, the world ends and it's all that I'm doing. It's great and a real rest and refresh for the brain to change gears that way.

In fact, it gets even better. There are the occasional jumps that are so dialed in and going 'right', that everything slows down to the eternal moment and I have a TON of time to make every move, anticipate the next one, look at the little angles, etc.

I'm hoping those moments increase in frequency, because that's the feeling I'd like every time. It's best when the whole team has that moment at the same time - that's got to be what the big teams feel like ALL THE FREAKING TIME - and I'm jealous and have a goal because of it.

So to the original poster - soon you'll be in a skydive and it'll be going really well and you'll suddenly think, crap I have to be getting really close to pull time - and you'll look at your altimieter and it'll still be over 9000 feet. You'll have a hard time believing your eyes. Remember that feeling.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wait until you are relaxed enough you can fart in freefall:P

I can not even imagine being that relaxed...I just added that to my list of things "to accomplish in skydiving prior to my BASE FJC."
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

So to the original poster - soon you'll be in a skydive and it'll be going really well and you'll suddenly think, crap I have to be getting really close to pull time - and you'll look at your altimieter and it'll still be over 9000 feet. You'll have a hard time believing your eyes. Remember that feeling.

I LOVE that feeling:)Time is Relative (sometimes is my brother:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Mbird,

Congrats on your progress so far. As a fellow newbie I wonder if you live near a tunnel. I did a 15 minute session with an instructor and found that to be a tremendous help in slowing things down when I went out the door of the plane. If there isn't one nearby it might be an idea to consider going to the tunnel, make a mini vacation out of it.

I can't compare my confidence level to others with similar experience, but I'll tell you, I feel pretty darn good for my limited experience. This is a very relative statement. I know how little I know, but I still feel good about getting out there and trying new things.

My struggle right now is the exit, as part of a formation. I'd rather dive out after the group and dock. At some point I need to conquer this "hill" thing and start flying right out of the door.

All things in time.

Meanwhile, WHAT A RUSH!! Keep working at it.

Looking forward to jumping with you somewhere.

Cheers,

Mo

In fact, it gets even better. There are the occasional jumps that are so dialed in and going 'right', that everything slows down to the eternal moment and I have a TON of time to make every move, anticipate the next one, look at the little angles, etc.

That's why I do 4-way. The zen feeling of being completely in the moment. It feels sooo good.

Mbird,

Congrats on your progress so far. As a fellow newbie I wonder if you live near a tunnel. I did a 15 minute session with an instructor and found that to be a tremendous help in slowing things down when I went out the door of the plane. If there isn't one nearby it might be an idea to consider going to the tunnel, make a mini vacation out of it.

Hi, Mo. Regrettably, the closest tunnel is either in Orlando FL or Perris CA. I'm in TX. I figured the total cost (round-trip flight and tunnel time) to be in the neighborhood of $650!! I wish I could do it, 'cos $650 is the equivalent of only 5 AFF jumps! Most of my $$$ is going to repeat AFF dives (this Sunday I'll be attempting level 4 for the 5th time!)--- in fact, when I think about it now, it was pretty crazy of me not to have gone to the tunnel after failing Level 2.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Oh well....

You might try wearing earplugs. It is a lot easier to think without all the noise.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am