Zep

Obligatory use of AAD

AADs are mandatory for Canadian students until they earn an A Certificate.
After that AADs are a matter of DZ policy. For example, AADs are required at every DZ in Quebec.
At Pitt Meadows, all staff members wear AADs and most of the licensed jumpers do too.
At the last CSPA Annual General Meeting, the Technical and Safety Committee was tasked with drawing up a schedule to make AADs mandatory at all Canadian DZs. It will take another 3 to 5 to 8 years for the schedule to take affect, but the bottom line is: AADs may not be required for Canadians NOW, but they will be in a few more years.

AADs are mandatory for Canadian students until they earn an A Certificate.

BSR's section 2 / 6.4 "All students shall use a container systems equipped with a functional reserve-mounted Automatic Activation Devices untill such time that the student has acquired a Solo CoP"

Edited to add: thats from the 2002 revision....not sure if it the latest or not.

i am looking at the USPA 05' book and its the same here.
section2-1
subsection K (Parachute Equipment)

line 2. All students are to be equiped with the following equipment until they have obtained a USPA A liscense:

item g. a functional automatic activation device that meets the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. [FB]<---- I dont know what this is but i typed it anyway... ;)
*found on page 8

this is on page 110

Section 5-3
subsection G. Automatic activation Device (AAD)

line2. An AAD is encouraged for all liscensed jumpers.

i dont think i missed anything... :)
edit is found above in italics

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

here in Oz A, B, & C all mandatory, D licence, is AAD or RSL, E licence is either or neither.

Went to APF's site to look up E licence an what do I find emblazoned on one of the pages.

The Club Chief Instructor is God

You gotta love Australian humour:D

Gone fishing

AADs may not be required for Canadians NOW, but they will be in a few more years.

What is their reasoning for that? Just curious. :)

There was another motion to mandate AAD use by A CoP jumpers immediatly that was defeated.

The second motion to have the safety and tech committee, look at ways to impliment mandatory AAD use passed.

there has been a lot of resistance to fully mandating AADs on the
Canadian chat forums, At least one of the DZOs who put forward the motion, has stated that the intent was not for full requirement, just for A and possibly B CoP jumpers.

As a relatively newbie to the sport, why would anyone not want to wear one?

Just curious

D

I think price has a lot to do with it, I'm not going to discuss the logic, but a lot of people
belive that sh*t won't happen to them, So if they are not obliged to wear one they don't.
Many years ago(before modern AAD's) at a Belguim Herc boogie I was knocked out on exit an fell 6000ft
unconcious, you'd think that after that experience when the cypres became available I'd of bought one,
No I didn't want to spend the money because to me they were an expensive new toy,
Also back then for most of our canopies were F111, An some of us regually took them down to 1500 or lower,
Now I wouldn't dream of taking a ZP below 2500ft, I normally open now at 3
Times have changed, Attitudes have changed. I decided to wear one after getting into freefly.
and a heated conversation with Rainier at Empuria.

Remember the AAD is thier as your last hope. I hope you never need it.

Gone fishing

As a relatively newbie to the sport, why would anyone not want to wear one?

Expense(and it can add up when you own multiple rigs).

Because even if it saved them while unconscious, they'd still die on impact under their 1.8 loaded reserve.

Some people don't trust them or like feeling in complete control of their skydive.

I think price has a lot to do with it, I'm not going to discuss the logic, but a lot of people
belive that sh*t won't happen to them, So if they are not obliged to wear one they don't.

This is true, however some people with limited funds believe that shit will happen to them, but prefer to spend their money on remaining current, properly selecting and maintaining mains, reserves and containers, helmets, audibles, altis and other equipment, furthering their training and so on in the belief that spending money in these areas is more of a priority for the shit that is likely to happen to them.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to do all this and have an AAD, were I having to make choices based on prioritising my spending I might choose not to replace it when it expires.

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

Because even if it saved them while unconscious, they'd still die on impact under their 1.8 loaded reserve.

I agree with you. But I doubt it's their reasoning behind not having an AAD.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Denmark.

It was introduced slowly. In the beginning it was only students. Then at some point riggers were told they could not approve new rigs for jumping in DK without an AAD. Some years later it was made mandatory for everyone.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...