justchrisdsp

college jumpers

I'm both a skydiver and a college student. Marquette University. There is one other person here that I know skydives.

I wouldn't say I'm conservative in the air. Average would be a better bet. I know a girl who jumps and is going to start going to school soon as a freshman. I know another who just graduated and has been a skydiver when she was in school.

Its hard to get a lot of jumps when you have no money, but if you stretch it right :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The A&M students who are the better jumpers of the club and the ones who jump the most (funny how that works) are the ones that work at the DZ in some form or fasion.

DZs always need packers, its a great college job and it gives you jump money and its basically a weekend job.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

College student here. Senior at Texas A&M and yes i am quite conservative in the air but it depends on who im with. For example when i have jumped with the VERY experienced people out there i am willing to try things like head down ;)...other than that i am a scardy cat especially with canopy, but canopy control course here i come :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A life without a cause
is a life without an effect

Kansas State University Student here.

we actually have a skydiving club here, so we get approx 100 first jumpers (S/L) each semister.

we have quite a few experienced jumpers/K-state students at our dz... our biggest thing is being poor students, and so not making a lot of jumps.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, TN. There are three others that I know of here.

I don't think you count...I didn't start jumping until I was 20.:P:P

Yeah Im still in college so I count as a collegiate skydiver. I am eligible for the collegiates this winter and plan on competing.

I am eligible for the collegiates this winter and plan on competing.

What are you competing in? Want a FF partner?;)

Wanna turn Sport Acc into a swoop contest? >:(:P:P

(even though you'll absolutely kick my ass swooping and can FF lightyears better then I can).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, I'm at Durham University in the UK - we have a club, with around 60-70 first timers every year, and 8 qualified, although I think one has taken a large break from the sport because of money restrictions.
I really cannot afford to skydive!! :P

Durham University Freefall Club

Grounds For Divorce website (band I'm in)

There are a few regular jumpers here at the University of North Carolina. We have about 6 regular jumpers, and a few trying to work their way through IAF.

Anyhow, I'll be at Collegiates this year with our 4 way team, and if i can afford it I'd like to get on a pick up freefly team, or maybe compete in sport (swoop) acc.

If i'm lucky i'll have a Birdman suit by X-mas. Are any other birdmen/ladies going to collegiates?
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

We've got a club at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Basically there are 4 officers, myself and three others, jump #s <100 to >500. We jump together and organize "Leapfests": we organize as many people as we can to go down to SDC and do their first tandem. Then we throw a huge party. Lots of fun, but quite a bit of work to get all those people down to SDC and back. Totally worth it though, I've never heard of someone having a bad time. Even if they don't jump they can still party like a rock star all night.

It's amazing we can keep it going, as we get no support from the UW. We have SDC to thank... Roger in his infinite wisdom gave us a great deal to help us out. $139 tandems (we get $10 of that), and discounts on all AFP jumps. Nice, eh?

The UW sees skydiving as too risky and they don't want to get sued. Seems kind ofa double standard that they'll support whitewater rafting and rock climbing and hang gliding and other risky sports, but not us, despite 11 years of no injuries. Ah well, just another example of skydiver prejudice. :P
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

that is awesome that yall have that club going, i've been tinkering with trying to get a club started here at the university of alabama at birmingham but cant really find anyone interested, so if there are any interested parties reading this please contact me, i think its great that there are so many jumpers out there who are not just working to become better jumpers but working to become better students as well, i think it will be a great thing for this sport in the future if people see that you dont have to be some extreme junkie to skydive, you can also be a consumate professional. i also want to give a kudos to all universities and governing bodies (that includes dropzones) that recognize the hardships of being a college jumper (money wise) and help out a little bit with student rates on jumps and college boogies and other things like that. and if anyone of you guys is ever in alabama, drop by skydive alabama in cullman and maybe we can do a jump together, although i suck major ass, but a jump none the less.

The only bad skydive is your last!
chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez

I am not in college anymore, but I started skydiving when I was still a student. By the way Florida state University has a skydiving club and they jump at skydive Tallahassee, they got their own gear and if i am not mistaken 60$ will make u a member and will let you use their gear.

p.s. I wish we had something similar in Toronto :))

hmmmm.... you're right!! between the plasma clinic and kidney removals.. i can put money back in my account (are you sure the 2nd kidney is necessary?)
only kidding. u of h here... (houston, texas)
see ya,
heidi

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

im with alanab at ohio university!!!! we have a club but now that paige is gone, its pretty much me and alana
one time we tried raffling off a free tandem to try to get more people interested in the club and come make a jump, but nooone wanted to do it! we didn't even make enough to cover the free jumpB|

~boogie ho!!
pull before impact!
L.A.S.T#14, PMS #309, Ci EL O DI O SA