ntrprnr

Hi. I'm an idiot. That'll teach me to be happy.

Tuesday... Went to the drop zone. Was so happy. Gorgeous day. Gorgeous first jump. Everything felt great.

Second jump. Still happy. Get on plane. Take off. Get to altitude. Ask for a gear check.

"Um, dude... Your Cypres isn't on."

It was my first (Yes, I know, beer.) and longest descent on a plane I've EVER had.

So not pleased.

But I guarantee I'll never not arm it again. Don't know how I missed it - I did a whole gear check. I don't know how I missed it.

Anyhow, like I said... I'll never do it again. Er, or I'll do it every time. Aw, hell. You know what I mean.

Damn it.

Can't wait to go to the DZ on Saturday. I'm sure I won't get hazed TOO much or anything. Sigh.

Someone tell me I'm not the only one to have ever done that.

Edited to mention that my cypres was on during my first jump. It was student gear, so I switched to another rig for my second jump - and forgot to arm it. So my first jump had it.

If you're cleared to jumpmaster yourself, you should be able to make the decision about whether to jump without a Cypres or not. Why not go ahead and jump without its being armed? There are reasons, but they're largely decision reasons, not safety reasons.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If you're cleared to jumpmaster yourself, you should be able to make the decision about whether to jump without a Cypres or not.

Oops! BSRs require a functional AAD for unlicensed jumpers. I'd interpret "functional" as "on and calibrated."

Mark

If you're cleared to jumpmaster yourself, you should be able to make the decision about whether to jump without a Cypres or not.

Oops! BSRs require a functional AAD for unlicensed jumpers. I'd interpret "functional" as "on and calibrated."

Mark

I was an idiot once recently and it looks like I broke a BSR acording to mark too! Whoohoo! (Not that I'm proud of it or intend to do it again).

But I guarantee I'll never not arm it again. Don't know how I missed it - I did a whole gear check. I don't know how I missed it.

Did you arm the Cypres the day before during a sunset load?

The 14 hour timer goes *poof* and the Cypres turns itself off. So you *may* not have broken a BSR, if you armed the Cypres in the evening on the day prior.

That's why if the Cypres is powered up during my first load, I always turn it off and then back on. Just in case. Good habit ;)

I've jumped almost a whole day one time forgetting to turn my cypress on... I caught it on the last jump of the day [:/] .... I never really paid much attention to the cypress after the preps for first jump, and I apperantly missed it then that day...

Now I turn it on as soon as I walk on the DZ, immediately after I put it on the rig rack.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Better than a friend of mine who, when we discovered his ASTRA wasn't turned on, told another jumper on the load to turn it on for him.
Now, guess what happened at about 3500 ft?

lol :D:D Sucks to be that guy...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I almost said, "I can't believe you did that.":P

I have never forgotten my Cypres, but I did forget to turn on the audible last weekend... I have the protrack set to turn itself off. On the plane I went to set the altitude and found it off. OOPS.

I was doing a quasi-coach jump. The guy had his "A" but was still working on the most basic tasks... So here I am trying to be a stable base for him to swoop and dock to and all I can hear is the flatline in my ear for most of the jump... So hard NOT to pull when you tell yourself that flatline means PULL reserve.:P Kept me on edge the entire time.;)

I almost said, "I can't believe you did that.":P

I have never forgotten my Cypres, but I did forget to turn on the audible last weekend... I have the protrack set to turn itself off. On the plane I went to set the altitude and found it off. OOPS.

I was doing a quasi-coach jump. The guy had his "A" but was still working on the most basic tasks... So here I am trying to be a stable base for him to swoop and dock to and all I can hear is the flatline in my ear for most of the jump... So hard NOT to pull when you tell yourself that flatline means PULL reserve.:P Kept me on edge the entire time.;)

I think I would have turned it back off.

What did it say was your deployment altitude? :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Better than a friend of mine who, when we discovered his ASTRA wasn't turned on, told another jumper on the load to turn it on for him.
Now, guess what happened at about 3500 ft?

During the jump that I forgot, I remembered on the way to altitude and asked someone else to turn it on. SOOOOO glad they asked, "Wait, I think you are supposed to be on the ground to do it." She confirmed with someone else one the load. I was all worried and then she said, "Don't worry, your chute will still work.":P

The fact that it should not have been switched on in the air notwithstanding, why was he unable to turn it on himself? All the Astras I have used or seen have been mounted visibly, within easy reach of the jumper with the gear on. I used to wait until I was in the plane to turn mine on each jump when I jumped one.

(For those unfamiliar with Astras, they are powered up before each jump, and powered down afterwards. There is no auto off, and a a self test is performed prior to each jump.)

For Great Deals on Gear

I would interpret the term functional as an AAD that can work, [i.e.] not expired or without batteries. Nowhere does it say that it has to be armed.

Parsing words must always be done in context. Rules are not drafted in a vacuum; they are intended to reflect a particular policy. The obvious purpose of the BSR is to have an operating AAD on a student's rig. Do you really think that when the authors of that BSR inartfully used the word "functionAL" rather than "functioniING" they really mean that they didn't care whether the AAD on a student rig was turned on, as long as it was just there? Or, do you really think that argument will win the day for the DZO if he's cited for neglecting to have a student jumper's AAD armed? In either case: I don't think so.

...I used to wait until I was in the plane to turn mine on each jump when I jumped one.

Somehow this strikes me as..how do I say this...."wrong".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

....During the jump that I forgot, I remembered on the way to altitude and asked someone else to turn it on. SOOOOO glad they asked, ...:P

RTFM
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

He probably doesn't have an A-license. Some DZ's will let you slide on stuff like that, others won't. Maybe his wouldn't.

No, I do not, but the card is pretty much all filled out...just need a couple quick sigs and the stamp.

And yes, pops, from reading that account with the guys Astra, very happy in hindsight that the chick didn't turn it on for me.

and I didnt even you you could manually switch it off...
I set mine to stay on ALL THE TIME so it would stop loosing track of the date and time... It's lasted a long time, it doesnt just burn through tons of batteries or anything..

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

hmm... i'm pretty new as a protrack owner but i seem to recall the manual saying it only loses the date when you change batteries, not switch it off?
you are advised to switch it off when driving through mountains or taking commercial flights ...
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.