ckeck

Can't get myself to jump again...

Ok, I will keep this as short as possible...

Last summer a friend of mine said she wanted to go skydiving, but not alone and I have always wanted to go, so I took her. After that first tandem I got hooked, I jumped 2 more times that day and 2 weeks later I was starting AFF. I have completed all my AFF jumped except for just ONE. It was starting to get cold and I didn't think I would like jumping in the cold weather.

So after the short winter here in Texas passed I was supposed to go back and do my final AFF jump. Well, I never did...I have been putting it off for almost 9 months now. I don't know what the problem is but I just get freaked out thinking about it. Anyone else have this problem?

Rarely a day goes by without me thinking about skydiving, but I just can't bring myself to jump again and its really pissing me off. I took my friend and cousin out to the DZ about a month ago to do a tandem and had a chance to jump...nope...

All my tandems and student jumps went great...I never stood up on a landing, but they weren't too bad...so thats not it...

Sorry if this is a stupid post, but I don't know what to do :(

-Chad

This may seem harsh, but its not intended to be. If you can't get over your fear, don't jump.

FWIW, I was usually sh!tting myself on every plane ride up until about 100 jumps, but when I landed I just had to go again.... The only person who can get you through your fear is you.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

This is an expensive, dangerous and time consuming sport.

If you don't want to jump, that's fine. The only reason to skydive is that you really need - and want - to do it.

That being said, I must say that my worst period of fear was around jump 6-10. I won't say I was terrified. Then I would have ridden the plane down, but the night before going to de DZ I would sleep poorly, dream about malfunctions and generally be uncomfortable. In the plane I would be very nervous.

It suddently subsided.

Make up your own mind. If you don't feel like jumping, you will at least have tried it. Furthermore you got out before it got expensive ;). A rig is an expensive toy.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

It sounds to me like you need a confidence boost...maybe hanging out at the DZ, or try another tandem to see if you still have that "need" that I know I do. My situation is similar to yours in some ways. I started jumping in July of 1997 and accumulated 20 jumps by October of 1997. By the time spring came around I was going through a nasty divorce...one of the main reasons...yep, skydiving. Long story short...it's August 2005 and I recently moved from Kansas to Georgia and discovered that with my new wife (married in May 2005) skydiving was a possibility again! With her full support, and wanting to start HER training after my re-current training, all I'm waiting on is $$$. With her beginning a new job soon, plus my salary, $$$ will no longer be an issue. BUT, I feel much the same hesitation you do...the sweaty palms and nervousness just VISITING the DZ! But that is where I MAY differ from your situation...I NEED to skydive! It's all I think about anymore, which you mentioned that too, that's why I suggest a step BACK to tandem or maybe (if reasonably accessible) a wind tunnel. The above poster's are correct though...my advice is for that "NEED" feeling. If you are truly feeling "fear"...that's maybe not such a good sign. On the other hand, if it's "butterflies" or nerves...any of these experienced guys/gals can tell you that's completely normal, but true FEAR...probably not.

Best of luck! Eric

The Braver the Bird...The Fatter the Cat.

I went through the same thing, but it was after my first real solo jump. (jump 9 I believe) The only piece of advice I can tell you is to allow yourself to stop. I was also getting angry at myself, forcing myself to go but not jumping, etc ... It wasn't until I said, "It's okay to stop and not want to do it." that I could really tell how I felt about it. It took a few months to realize that I just HAD to keep jumping, but you might realize differently, and that is OKAY.

-A

I was told you feel more fear between jump nr. 4 and 10 than before jumping.

It was during these jumps specifically that my fear was at its zenith. I was always asking myself as I rode to altitude "why am I doing this"? But after I jumped I always KNEW why....then I slowly stopped asking myself.

I believe there is something to be said for leaving space for both a healthy repsect for the sport and doing what you have set out to do. As your jumps progress, so do your objectives and the space needed to accomplish said objectives.

All of these posts make excellent points, and I echo them.

You noted that your current anxiety came after several months off. Currency, or lack of it, often has a direct relationship to how much pre-jump anxiety one feels. Perhaps, as part of your decision-making process, you need to move beyond the hypothetical and conduct a real-world experiment. How about making one more tandem jump to see how you feel? That will get your head back out the plane, but since your TI will be doing all the work, you won't have any added pressure to perform. Then, after that jump, make your decision.

But this is just a suggestion. If you really, really don't want to jump, then you shouldn't jump, and that's OK.

Sorry if this is a stupid post, but I don't know what to do :(

You've already accomplished a lot in the eyes of most non-jumpers. You should be proud of your accomplishments and there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling a little (or lot) of anxiety about jumping after a long lay-off.

If you decide to jump again, rest assured you will not be thrown out of the aircraft and expected to perform at your previous level of expertise. At a minimum you'll have to jump with an instructor (or two) to ensure you haven't lost your skills.

Ultimately, the choice is yours and I wish you luck.

I reciently had over a month off after completing AFF abroad, and felt under extreme pressure to 'get it right' back here in the UK. New rig, new DZ, 'new' instructor (although I knew him before) new gear, new plane, new exit position, basically new everything.

I put off going for 6 weeks - really wound myself up about it - the more i thought about it, the more i both kicked myself for putting it off, and the more depressed I got for NOT doing it.

Eventually I just told my instructor - I *asked* to do a repeat level 5 (linked exit) for 'security'. Everything went very well. I then did another jump that day, and five jumps 3 days later - that was Sunday ;)

I still get the "why the hell am I doing this..." on the ride up, but once I'm at the door checking my spot that just gets blown away.

Dont build the tension any more - get up there and do what you *know* you can do. Maybe do a tandem or maybe do a repeat level. Do ONE, the rest will follow :)
Good luck.

I was just out of AFF, on or about my 5th solo. I had what I deemed (yes in all my rookie experience at the time) An opening that sniveled FAR too long. Long enough for me to actually grab my cut-away handle. Right about that time I was rewarded with the comfortable whump of my main fully inflating. Anyway, the next time I went up. I got to the door. Looked out... Paused... Then promptly went and sat down. I just couldnt exit. Something to note here. The plane ride down is scarier than jumping!!! Pilots are whacked!!!! (kidding)
I have coined this condition as "dive lock". For me the pucker factor got to be so intense the vaccum it created made it impossible to break the seal my arse had on the seat. Thereby making it impossible to exit the aircraft.
I literally spent the better part of two weeks going to the DZ every day of the week, and both days of the weekend. I would sit there from first load to the sunset load trying to convince myself to get on the plane, or even rent some gear for that matter. Eventually I got myself to make some coached jumps, using the AFF linked exits. Made several of those. I flew fine, the gear works. I still couldnt exit solo... I had NO IDEA why!!! Finally on the 5th coached jump the instructor refused to link in the door. He actually sat down and crossed his arms. Plane load of people, and knowing what the ride down was like. I Just hucked myself out the door. Once I was out there I was "WHAT THE HELL WAS I SCARED OF!!!"
Wha did I learn from all of this??? Go to the DZ as often as you can. Be as calm as you can get yourself, or go and totally flip out... BUT GO!!! Just being at the DZ instills something I can not put my finger on... Be persistant, and dedicate yourself to working through this. Talk to the instructors. Spend a whole day or whole WEEK or MORE learning your gear inside and out. sit down with the riggers, or someone experienced and watch em pack. Trust me, what we learn in AFF is just enough to get by. The extra knowledge you can pick up is a very cool thing. Find out everything you can about it. Knowing how your rig ticks top to bottom is a huge confidence builder. Watch a lot of video's. Anything you can do to immerse yourself in the sport. If you "truly" want skydiving to be a part of your life it can and will happen for you.

Smile A LOT!!! It will pass... You can do it!!!

P.S. Still to this day I have no idea why the fear finally passed (meant to mean became manageable because I still get nerves). I don't really care why it did. All I know is that staying as close as I could to the sport, and learning all I could facilitated getting back in the sky...

"Uh oh! This is gonna hurt!"

I like the adrenaline that fear sends through the veins. I did jump 4 this past sunday and was free-falling on my own until I pulled. Now I will be jumping with one jumpmaster instead of two.

Yea, it is a dangerous sport, but you are more likely to die driving your car than skydiving. It is safer than football.

Like riding motorcycles. Plenty of people buy them thinking it will be loads of fun, until they scare the shit out of themselves - then they turn around and try and sell the bike.

Either you got the stuff or you don't. There is no shame in that EITHER WAY. You are the one jumping - or not. No one can tell you how to live.

I went threw something real close to what you were talking about, I would think about skydiving all day at work and at home and everything was great. As I got closer and closer to the DZ I would start getting more and more nervous and by the time I got there I was a nervous wreck and would talk my self out of jumping. I had to sit back and ask myself if this is what I really wanted or not. I made up my mind and asked my friend and instructor what to do about it and he said to come out on a sunday when they weren't very busy and he would take me up and go out with me as many times as it took to get over the ground gobblen. It worked great 5 jumps in one day and am I still nervous yes but the fear of the ground has not kept me there. Go to the DZ and hang out get to know people and and work out your fear of the ground gobblen don't let it take the thrill away from you, you have been there and you have felt the rush think back.
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

I just want to thank everyone for all the input and past experience...glad its not just me ;)

I am probably going to do what a few of you suggested and go out to my DZ this Sunday and do a tandem, just to get the feel of it all again. I really hope that will help because I REALLY want to continue on in this sport.

I need to make friends with the regulars out at the DZ too...back when I started jumping a lot of my friends were going too (tandems), but no one would do AFF with me =\

Oh well, their loss...I AM going to give this another shot. I will let everyone know how my tandem goes, then hopefully I get get over my fear and do that last AFF jump!

Thanks again everyone.

-Chad

Yea, it is a dangerous sport, but you are more likely to die driving your car than skydiving. It is safer than football.

How many Football players ended up dead last year? How many had multiple broken bones includeing femers, pelvis and vertibra? 39 people have died so far this year jumping, 3 in the last week. The major injury list is much longer for skydiving even though we only have a fraction of the people. Talk to an experienced person to get a no soft and fuzzy feeling on how dangerous the sport is.

Skydiving is a risky activity. The Risk to reward factor changes for each person over time. Its ok to take it easy if you want to get back into the sport. Its also ok if you decide its not for you. Good luck in your decision.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Lack of currency affects everyone differently, but I believe it's very common to make anyone extra nervous. As a student two weeks between jumps felt like an eternity for me.

I had over 1,000 jumps and was an AFF instructor before any layoffs (never went more than a few weeks w/out jumping, and only then if the weather was bad a lot). Then I got pregnant and laid off for months. I was pretty darn gittery myself after the layoff, even with all that experience. And after my second child and another long layloff, I felt that way again. I also have seen other people with hundreds of jumps feel the same way after months off. You are not alone in your feelings. If I can feel gittery with over 1000 jumps, I can imagine I would feel much as you with only a few jumps under my belt.

You have gotten great replies already here and you must make your own decision obviously, I just wanted you to know you are most definitely not alone and it is VERY normal to feel quite anxious after a long layoff. I found once my non current friends or myself got "back on the horse" things were way easier. It's just that first jump. If you miss skydiving, I would encourage you to jump once personally, whether it be a tandem or AFF. If you do AFF, ask for two jumpmasters, although they would probably do it that way anyway, a nice Level 3 currency jump. But it will make you feel more secure to have 2 with you, although you are certainly responsible for opening your own parachute.

Best of luck!

I didn't get thru AFP in one season either. I made it up to level7, it think- at one particular dz.

Then I ended up taking a year off- due to trying to find a different dz to train at and call my "home"...and then started up at GROUND SCHOOL - a refresher course, if you will...

After discussion about where I was "at" and my needs- we started with4 STATIC LINE JUMPS to get down exiting, stability and deployment and canopy control.

After that, I went AFP with TRAINER & only needed to learn and show the remaining (AFF) skills...
I jumped with a coach a couple of times, THEN I
did my first two way with a brave experienced jumper,
Then did my Hi & Low solos.

ALL of this was spaced out over last summer. And I DID get my "A". You can too.

I love my DZ! They worked with me and helped me to acheive and learn.

Talk to your DZO and the trainers. I'll bet they'll help you find the best way to get you in the sky too.

BLUES!
-LuLu.

About a year ago or so, another jumper posted a similar story...he was nervous. I answered him, and told him how to handle it.

he did so, and made a jump later that week.
Maybe you can look back and find the post....because the verey same thing applies to YOU.

You are NOT afraid, just aprehensive about doing something you have already proved you are quite capable of doing.

Nothing has changes, you are still able to do it, the chute will still open as it should, you will have a great flight and a good landing.

Believe in yourself....everyone else does.

Go makeanother jump...a repeat of your previous jumps, and enjoy it as you did then, and then tell us all

YOUDID IT....and it was great.

I would wish you "good luck",, but luck isnt involved here....its YOU doing what YOU know YOU can do...and YOU have proved it.

Bill Cole D-41