Jeth

Jumping while chewing gum = bad idea, right?

Wind at your back under canopy? That's a neat trick. :P

Grab both sides of the risers, pull them in together, and jerk your body around so you're in a 1/2 line twist. Not that hard.

I know someone who's done it when it was a really long climb and they couldn't wait until landing to take a whiz.:ph34r:
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

How often do you have your mouth open enough during FF to have a chance to choke on the gum?

Some people do keep their mouth open. I pretty much keep it open the whole time in freefall.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I don't think you have to have your mouth open in order to swallow the gum. I'm thinking more of a funnel and I get kicked, suck in some air, and down goes the gum.

Sorry, I'm not willing to take the chance. Free fall isn't that long, I can have some gum after I land.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Can chew anytime in freefall no problems but I would hesitate in letting a Tandem passenger take some in freefall!

Bad enough being thrown up on (though never happened yet >1,000 tandems !). Don't want to wear some second hand gum either!!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Personally, I prefer something like Altoids mints over a piece of gum.

While waiting to board the plane for my first AFF jump, I noticed that one of my instructors had a round
can in the leg pocket of his jump suit. I asked him if it was Skoal and he said no, it was Altoids. He passed
out the mints right after we got off the ground and it did help with the dry mouth (in comparison to later
jumps when I didn't take a mint). The mint was all gone even before we got to altitude.

Eule

May be not. The other day i was chewing a piece of gum on a jump... as i was doing my 270 on the final, the damn thing was blown into my throat, i had to almost HAD to puke it out. It didnt go down the wind pipe, so i wouldnt choke, but i definitely almost swallowed it.

I guess if you chew - just dont open your mouth :)
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

I chew gum almost every jump ,it helps my ears, I try to spit it out before exit but sometimes I forget and I'm forced to spit it at whoever I'm jumping with during exit
:)

Grrrr! >:(

I landed with gum on my rig once because of your type!

lol

In your mouth or in the trash. That stick of 'Extra' chewing gum in the television commercial can skydive and make a quick parachute from it's wrapper... other gum shouldn't solo.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

May be not. The other day i was chewing a piece of gum on a jump... as i was doing my 270 on the final, the damn thing was blown into my throat, i had to almost HAD to puke it out. It didnt go down the wind pipe, so i wouldnt choke, but i definitely almost swallowed it.

I guess if you chew - just dont open your mouth :)

See! There U have it!! Exactly what I don't want to deal with when I'm trying to sidebody someone at 8000ft! And I think the same risk is there for a first-time tandem, so I wouldn't let them.

The mint is definitely a better idea for bad breath/dry mouth.

BTW, I can't believe this thread is still alive! LOL! :D
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I've made over 1500 skydives and made it a point to chew gum on every jump.Part of my pre jump check.....altimiter, AAD, Hackey,Gum,.....How's it going Scott,...Remember dispatching me........

Suspicious......Maybe....................................

Chewed gum for 400 jumps or so. No problems. Then I threw out, looked up to watch the opening and as the canopy caught air it gave a little tug and sent the gum down the back of my throat. Still had enough air in my lungs to get it back up after a couple tries. Scary nonetheless. Switched to mints and the like that can be chewed up and swallowed when the door opens. Its a choice