b_dog

I could never BASE jump.

Skydiving was something I had wanted to do for a long time, I finally got to do it, it was awesome, and I will surely do it again.

However, BASE jumping is something I could never do.

I'm sure there are a few skydiving regulars out there who also do BASE jumps.

Skydiving involves jumping from a much higher altitude than pretty much any landmark on earth, I'd wager. 3,000 ft cliff vs. 13,000 ft from the airplane. (Yes, there are places on earth much higher than 13k, but places like Everest don't have sheer cliffs IIRC)

But it's not the height issue that bothers me. The important distinction with BASE jumping is that whatever you just jumped off of, you see it's structure as you pass by it on your way to the ground. That would completely freak me out. As it is, when I look over the edge at the top of a skycraper, or over the edge of a cliff, I just about get a serious case of vertigo.

With straight skydiving, it's just not the same. There's no reference point as you're falling. From doing it the first time I remember that, despite the initial sensation of falling and the rushing wind and all that, it almost seemed as if were were floating, maybe flying, instead of falling.

Go figure.

Skydiving involves jumping from a much higher altitude than pretty much any landmark on earth, I'd wager. 3,000 ft cliff vs. 13,000 ft from the airplane.

you've obviously never done a hop&pop ;) (which is a low altitude jump - typically around 3.5k - from an aircraft) which is also a requirement for your A license:o but i'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your first skydive, and wish you the best of luck in all future jumps :)

I am not afraid . . . I was born to do this
-Joan of Arc-
But what do I know, I'm only 19

BASE jumping is an order of magnatude more dangerous than skydiving. But it can also release a jolt of adrenaline after you jump like nothing else in the world. Oh and if you think that jumping off of a 3000 foot cliff is low, try a 200-300 footer like what's out in Moab. Dude build some experience in skydiving before you start worrying about BASE. People do start sooner, but I had over 700 skydivers before I tried my first BASE jump. Some of the keys to surviving in BASE is knowing your gear and knowing your limits, have good canopy control skills and have a plan (including backup plans) before each jump and stick to that plan (unless you need to go to your backup). :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

--------------------------------------------------------

I have been saying the same thing myself since I have started jumping, and when i tell that to the more experienced jumpers I go with, they all reply back " Give it time, just give it time"
---------------
"Once you find a job that you like, you never have to work another day in your life"

BASE was always somethng I wanted but I once said:

"I'll never BASE jump from below 500-feet."

I was wrong.

"I'll never BASE jump from a building in the night."

I was wrong.

"I'll never BASE jump with my pilot chute stowed."

I was wrong.

And it goes on and on . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Next time your on the plane to altitude check out the door at 300ft, if that doesnt scare the life out of you then nothing will.

At 5k i made a joke and asked my instructor the hold on to my pilot chute (PCA i think thats called in BASE.) Sure i'd like to give it a go, but am i willing to accept the risk? No, not yet. Im years off :P

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

...with BASE jumping is that whatever you just jumped off of, you see it's structure as you pass by it on your way to the ground.

This is not always true. On many spans, for example, you have limited nearby reference during the freefall. You do still have things like canyon walls and the like, but they are reasonably distant.

It sounds like you have a much better understanding of the differences between skydiving and BASE than most folks in your shoes, though. The presence of the object is almost always a bigger consideration than the overall altitude.

edit to add: In all seriousness, there's no reason you ought to BASE jump if you don't want to. It's really a personal choice, and if it doesn't call to you, then there are many other fun, rewarding, and interesting things to do.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I would like to one day try base, but I say that simply because if I say I will never do it, Ill end up doing it because I try not to let fear keep me from anything. If I ignore the sport of BASE then it is much easier for me to not do it. Why do I think its not for me....

1. I am scared still on just a jump plane until about 4 grand. My hop and pop was extremely hard to do let alone jumping from a building or bridge etc

2. I do not like the idea of falling.... as in I dont want to feel like I am falling. At least the plane is moving.

3. I can barely survive skydiving. I lack great canopy skills, and I lack perfect awareness. I have very little muscle memory etc, I am lucky that I have yet to land off and I am lucky that every landing hasnt exposed a femur. Im just so new in this sport that I lack the knowledge to protect myself in something like a base jump, where there is less time to save my life.

One day I will try it, just not today...
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

But it's not the height issue that bothers me. The important distinction with BASE jumping is that whatever you just jumped off of, you see it's structure as you pass by it on your way to the ground. That would completely freak me out. As it is, when I look over the edge at the top of a skycraper, or over the edge of a cliff, I just about get a serious case of vertigo.

Hey there's no problem with that. Just close your eyes during the jump :D

but I had over 700 skydivers before I tried my first BASE jump.

:oWow, how long did that take ya???:P

I never said I was the sharpest pencil in the box. B|

To the originator of this thread. Instead of wondering if BASE jumping is for you or not, why don't you wait and see if BASE finds you. I wasn't supposed to BASE jump nor was I supposed to swoop when I got into skydiving. But swooping and BASE jumping did indeed find me along the way. I need to figure out how to get a swoop pond, Moab and the Perrine all within a short trip of each other. That would be heaven ... :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

> Next time your on the plane to altitude check out the door at 300ft,
>if that doesnt scare the life out of you then nothing will.

And the scary thing is - getting out of a plane at that altitude (with the right gear) is a piece of cake due to the airspeed you have. I once did a hop and pop out of a King Air with a Mojo 240, a mesh slider and a 42" ZP PC. Wham! I was open about 20 feet below the airplane. (I should note that I got out at 2500 feet, not 300.)

There's no reference point as you're falling. From doing it the first time I remember that, despite the initial sensation of falling and the rushing wind and all that, it almost seemed as if were were floating, maybe flying, instead of falling.

Man, this is why I am excited about doing my first BASE jump!!! I started doing static lines, and once I got to freefall, I was disappointed there was no ground rush. I am going to do a BASE jump, but I doubt I will ever get into it full time, maybe just jump Bridge DayB|. But yeah, BASE isn't for everyone,and that's okayB|.

I am excited to do my first BASE even though I know it's gonna freak me out:)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

--------------------------------------------------------

I have been saying the same thing myself since I have started jumping, and when i tell that to the more experienced jumpers I go with, they all reply back " Give it time, just give it time"

I don't understand why some people who BASE jump think that everyone else wants to, or will eventually want to BASE jump as well. BASE jumping - like skydiving - is not for everyone. And I also don't think it's very cool for them to be trying to encourage someone to BASE jump if the person is saying they don't want to. :S Just my opinion...

Keely,

I think what most are talking about is their own experience. It's like when I hear a first time tandem come down and breathlessly exclaim, "Man, I could have never done that on my own," when I know they could have, just like so many did and still do, when they aren’t presented with tandem as the only way to go.

NickD :)BASE 194

This is not always true. On many spans, for example, you have limited nearby reference during the freefall. You do still have things like canyon walls and the like, but they are reasonably distant.

Tom,
Pardon what may be a silly question from a non-BASE jumper, but other than some big walls, do you EVER see the structure while in freefall? Aren't you somewhat looking away from the object? Especially on short delays?
Just wondering.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

...other than some big walls, do you EVER see the structure while in freefall?

Yes. You frequently see parts of the structure while in free fall (antenna guy wires are a good example). Many jumpers also look back on tower jump, to judge pull altitude using visual referents (usually the lights on the tower at night).

You also see the structure on pretty much anything that's underhung, or even vertical. Since by pull time you are usually looking straight down, it's fairly common to see the object at the bottom (relatively speaking) of your field of vision.

Aren't you somewhat looking away from the object? Especially on short delays?

On very short delays (i.e. go and throws) you usually have very limited reference to the object, because you are still pretty head high when you deploy, and end up under canopyy.

Short answer: every object is different, and you see parts of them on many jumps.

Random aside: I've always wanted to do a full floater off a glass (i.e. reflective) building. I once did a rollover off one of those, and the visual was pretty spectacular.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com