ntrprnr

Post-workout muscle soreness - Too sore to pull?

Hey gang... Stupid question...

Let's say I have a new personal trainer. We'll call her, oh, I don't know... Satan.

Now let's say Satan spent all morning with me working on my shoulders and biceps.

Let's say I wake up tomorrow and realize that it's one of the last, nice, not-too-cold days in the NY area, and I want to jump.

Assuming I put my rig on and do a practice touch, the soreness won't stop me from pulling, will it? It'll just be sore - I guess what I'm asking is... Muscle soreness doesn't limit range of motion, does it?

I can honestly say (from my experience only- training for fights and tennis tourneys) that I have had it affect my range of motion and I also haven't. I didn't jump at the time but I know there was no way I could have pulled after a 3 hour tennis match or 45 min. with my boxing coach.

At TFTC we flew from 10-11am and 12-1pm. We all flew at least an hour and a half of that. At the end if you asked me to do a practice pull, I would have looked at you funny. I was so sore my range of motion that day and the next day was inhibited.

You may not be affected at all though.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Actually, push-ups are working your chest muscles more than anything.

The best thing to do is stretch and make sure you have FULL range of motion. I work out with a personal trainer twice a week and frequently have this problem. I also hurt my shoulder this summer on a botched landing and know that I have to be sure to not aggrevate it.

If you can do a pull up you should be ok - if you can fully move your arms from at your side to over your head without any stiffness or pain its fine - but if not - don't jump. In all seriousness, its not worth it. I've jumped with a sore shoulder which I thought would be fine, but the wind pressure affects you in ways you can't imagine on the ground.

My motto has always been, if I'm not 100%, I don't jump.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Actually, push-ups are working your chest muscles more than anything.

chest, back, biceps, triceps, delts, shoulders.. thats why they're so good.

The best thing to do is stretch and make sure you have FULL range of motion.

Right.

If you can do a pull up you should be ok -

?? not injured and wondering if I could do a pull up..
:D

I am just guessing that you will be so pumped in freefall you will be able to pull even if your arm was broken (it has happened before), let alone soreness.

I am not advocating jumping with less than 100% readiness, so perhaps you should do a practice throw or eight of your PC on the ground (does not take much to put your PC back in)... If you can do it on the ground, add a few ounces of adreniline in the sky, and you will be a superhero when you throw it...

But then again, what do I know????B|

Assuming I put my rig on and do a practice touch, the soreness won't stop me from pulling, will it? It'll just be sore - I guess what I'm asking is... Muscle soreness doesn't limit range of motion, does it?

Remember those stories of crippled old ladies lifting a car with one hand to rescue their children? :P Adrenaline is your friend, and I guarantee you'll have enough to overcome some muscle soreness to pull. ;)

I can't remember the last time I felt 100%....lol :)It's been atleast 3 years...........lol :P

Permanent pain in right shoulder & my neck sounds like sand paper grating everytime I turn my head.......lol

How late in the season are you guys jumping out at J-town?

Blues, Tom :P

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Good point. One injury leads to another injury. I've seen that happen more then once.

Sitting out another weekend isn't going to hurt.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Yeah - I guess the issue for me is, it's not an injury - soreness from a hard workout is different than say, a muscle strain or tear...

I'm gonna go tomorrow and see how I feel when I get to the DZ. If I'm not feeling 100%, I won't jump. Easy enough.

Thanks, guys. :)

Yeah - I guess the issue for me is, it's not an injury - soreness from a hard workout is different than say, a muscle strain or tear...

I'm gonna go tomorrow and see how I feel when I get to the DZ. If I'm not feeling 100%, I won't jump. Easy enough.

Thanks, guys. :)

Your muscles are not feeling normal. They need time to re-build after a workout. To me that means they are injured.

Why the hurry? If you're going to go out any way, then why post the question?

If I'm not feeling 100%, I won't jump

So does that include a "sore" muscle?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Posted the question to get the knowledge of others - others who have jumped or not jumped with sore muscles.

I'm going to take the drive out there - I've driven out there and not jumped more than once - bad weather, winds too high for my liking, etc. If I go out there and feel like crap, I won't jump. I was just curious as to other people's responses to the situation.

It's information I can take under advisement when I'm standing on the field wondering weighing all the options as to whether I should manifest myself or not.

I used to work out.. And my shoulder always hurt... I tried to work through it but it never got better.. after I stopped working out.. it got better..Long story short..
Now that I started jumping.. My right shoulder has been hurting again.. I have no idea from what..
Im hoping that its not trying to tell me that its getting ready to give out on me..

I've jumped plenty of times with sore muscles , but since it's very difficult to know just how sore your muscles are or how much movement you have, it's difficult for anyone to tell you what you should do. I've torn muscles, and I would never jump with a torn muscle, but if they're just sore, I have and would again.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

My first reaction to your post was also that you'd have the strength to pull. That even if you HAD worked out hard enough that you did not have the required strength (not likely, since you seem able to type. lol), that the hormones involved would pick up more then enough slack.

However, "Sure you'll be able to pull!"... is not exactly the advice I want to give a stranger on the net.

An interesting question. Personally, I don't think my arms/shoulders/back/whatever would ever be so sore that I would not be able to pull, whithout also being sore enough that I would not be able to stand wearing a rig. You know what I mean? Basically, if it's just the pull you're worried about, you're probably alright. IMO, it takes more effort to pick the rig up and put it on.

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!