tmontana

FEAR

Normally I would just try to look at old posts rather than start my own, but when i did a search the results were just too many and not necessarily what i'm looking for, which i'm not really sure what that is either. I guess maybe advice/reassurance etc...

I started jumping last year, got 24 jumps under my belt, ran out of time to get my license because I started suffering from vertigo, haven't jumped since last october, HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT SKYDIVING AT LEAST ONCE A DAY SINCE.

The problem i've encountered is this: the more i've thought about jumping (picturing my previous jumps, the ride up, the door opening, my exits, watching etc.) the more afraid i've started getting, sometimes i can feel my heart starting to beat faster just sitting there THINKING about jumping.

I really want to continue jumping, but i have yet to make it out to the dz. I've been kind of using our wonderful michigan weather as an excuse why i haven't jumped yet this year, when in reality there were a few times when the weather was good enough but i just didn't go for whatever reason.

So all i've done is sit and think about it, read posts about it, download videos about it, read parachutist...

My thoughts on it are this:

1. Since I really want to jump, what i have to do is GO OUT THERE AND JUMP, once i've started again, i'll get rush again and get hooked again.

2. STOP downloading videos showing malfunctions. (i'm not really sure if this has had anything to do with it but i'm sure it doesn't help.)

3. ...... Well i guess I can only come up with those 2 points.

I know i've probably answered my own question, but if anyone has anything else to add, i would appreciate it.

Sounds like a bit of gear fear, perhaps.

Try watching a reserve get packed on one of the student rigs. Nothing like knowing what is inside to add some confidence.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

GET OUTTA MY HEAD!
Your desciption sounds exaclty like me. Are you sure your not me?....did I get really drunk and make this post under a different name?
No but seriously, I do feel exactly the same way, made the same excuses. Its good to be scared, but I will say once on the plane and on jump run its all buisness and life is good once in the air. I will say my last jump the nerves had subsided for the most part, so figure 2 more jumps and you'll feel the same....afterall you are my evil twin.
"GOT LEAD?"

T

I really want to continue jumping, but i have yet to make it out to the dz.

So, that's the first step.

You can't make the decision to jump from your sofa (I know, I tried....;))

Make everything into small decisions. Go to the DZ. Then watch a load. Then make the decision to go to the school. Then make the decision to sign up for recurrency (or whatever is necessary). Make the decision to get the gear on. Then make the decision to get onto the plane. Then make the decision to stay on the plane. Then make the decision to jump. And then make the decision to pull.

A series of small decisions is often easier than one BIG one all at once. I used this technique when I was coming back for my 4th jump, after my cutaway. It took all that I had inside to make those decisions, each little one. I knew I could back out of all but the last two, and so took it in small doses.

Also talk to an instructor that you trust and that has been able to bring you through the fear before.

Just some thoughts, and a method which worked for me on one of the hardest jumps of my (admittedly short) jumping career.

Best to you!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

hmm fear, good topic i havnt really heard discussed in the world of skydiving.....

Personaly, the day i have no fear what so ever i will try to stop jumping, cause that is when people get careless. I still get nervice, i know everything is going to work, but still, fear is not always bad. The hard part is over coming the fear. Sometime we have to just get out and do what we are afraid of. I have a horid fear of heights, so when i have to get on a repeal tower for rotc i am scared to death. But i dont let it stop me, i still get out there and do it.

so get one of your friend who you know really well to go do a jump with you. you know you will love it, so bit the bullet and go out and face the fear.

just my opinion, so take it or leave it.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Can you elaborate on the 'vertigo' problem? How, what , when and if possible, why. You said this is the reason you stopped jumping. Understanding this might allow people to give you more pertinent feedback.

sometimes i can feel my heart starting to beat faster just sitting there THINKING about jumping.

Everytime I think about my next jump in detail my heart beats faster! I'm obviously just a newbie at all this, but theres a certain something about skydiving that you need to overcome mentally to be able to do it. I've found thinking about it less, and actually getting up there and doing it is what gets you past that feeling.

Of course the more you think about it, the more you are going to intensify those feelings and continue to back away. Stop thinking and start doing. That, or listen to someone with more than 8 jumps.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

make a nice easy jump with a coach and let him know your fears. pull high like 5000 then work it back down over time. it will pass the more you jump. also keep your eyes open when you pull you'll begin to watch the opening in slow motion.

Not sure about the vertigo problem. I know if I jump a lot in a day I get a weird rocking motion when im on the ground that can make me feel quite ill ?

After a long lay off I find the FEAR creeps back in. but you know why your scared. It's freaking dangerous man!

I'm sure others have said the same but knowing more about the equipment will go a long way to alleviate the fear, but I don't think it will ever go away completely, and who would want it too anyway ?

I'm sure if you can get to the DZ! and express your concerns to an Instructor they can get you back into school and you'll be out the door again in no time and loving it.

good luck!:)

Not sure about the vertigo problem. I know if I jump a lot in a day I get a weird rocking motion when im on the ground that can make me feel quite ill ?

That's your inner ear adjusting to the constant motion of flight. At sea, it's called "sea legs." I lived on a boat when I was a kid, and when I went to school during the day I would sit in my chair and swear that the chair was rocking back and forth. You get used to it.

As for fear, currency in the sport will minimize it while lack of currency will increase it. IMHO.

Toughest part about learning to skydive is making yourself go to the DZ. After that, you just get in the plane, jump out and have fun.

I had the same problem, I started jumping and had very little fear, but now that I jump more I know the risks and understand all the things that can go wrong with it. It is normal to be afraid, hello you are jumping out of an plane!!!!

You should practice your emergency procedures until you are completely confident you know what to do in an emergency. I think that can be the best confidence builder, knowing your stuff (it was for me). But dont obses over everything that could go wrong, think about what you will do in each situation. You should find a coach you trust, sit down with them go over your procedures and when you are ready to jump again you will know.

You dont have to walk into the DZ and make a jump the second you get there, wait until you feel better about your surroundings. Thats what I do. I never jump on the first few loads of the day. I always wait until im ready. So maybe I only get 2 or 3 jumps in when I go to the DZ, but it is better then going up right away and being freeked out from rushing and not jumping for the rest of the day.

You should defiantly jump with someone you trust if you are scared. And opening High is a good Idea, you have more time to deal with any problems. I still wave off at around 4500.

Good Luck I hope you get back out there!! ;)
~Shelly

I have always thought that there is something wrong with me if I'm not a little nervous. I am very current, I jump every single weekend, sometimes 15+ jumps in a weekend, but every single first jump of the weekend, right about the time I'm putting my chest strap on, I get the butterflies. We are nervous because we're doing something dangerous, yes, but have faith in your gear, in your pilot, in the plane, in the other jumpers, in the instructors, in the staff that everything and everyone is being as safe as possible. Every once in a while, on the ride to altitude I still think "I can stop this now, I can say I'm a skydiver, quit now and be okay." Then I jump and can't wait to get back up again.
A little bit of nervousness keeps you more aware and safe.
If it's debilitating, though, others' suggestions on here are great - get to know the gear and how it works, talk to the instructors, go hang out and watch some loads. It should ease the fear some.
Good Luck!

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

I lived in fear for my first 80 jumps or so. I could never get over the little voice in my head which kept up that senseless self-defeating talk...you know, "I don't have to do this." or "I hope something bad doesn't happen."

Perservere. Some of us take more time than others adjusting. Maybe we have that all important "thrill seeker" gene...but it's recessive.

For me, it took an actual emergency (it was a doozy) to get me over my really horrible anxiety. Hopefully, that won't be the case with you. I do know that the more you do something, the more familiar and comfortable you get with the procedure. So as has been said, practice your emergency procedures faithfully. Then get out there and make as many jumps as you can.

Good luck to you.

My vertigo Problem was never quite figured out. For those who don't know what vertigo is, basically its a medical term for dizziness which can be caused by a lot of different things, but usually some sort of inner ear infection.
It started one morning when i woke up and every way i turned my head i would get dizzy, the doctor said he wasnt sure what caused it (he ruled out skydiving because it had been about 2 weeks after i had last jumped) but he said it would probably go away in a few weeks. Well after 2 weeks i thought it had pretty much gone away so i went out to make a jump, i was super geeked to jump got with a coach, went over the dive, got in the plane, then on the way to altitude i just started feeling a bit strange, not quite the dizziness i had before but not normal either, the door opened and as those in front of us were getting out i turned to my coach and said i'm not jumping, i just don't feel right.

Now if it ended there i would say that is where my fear is comming from for sure, but about 3 weeks later i did make one jump that went fine, but by then it was late october and there wasn't another chance for me to get out there before the snow came.

Stadistics show that a lot of people skydivers quit before jump 500, I know a lot of people that have done that just lose their motivation I guess, I know a couple people quitting because they were really scare after hundreds of jumps, I know I was scare on my first 100 jumps or so , I still get a litle nevous when I try something new but I always rmember the feeling of landing safe after a successful skydive.

If you fear not performing well during a malfunction, or know you would not perform well, maybe the right thing is to quit you're the only one that know that for a fact so I guess the question is for yourself.

Hurry up the sky is waiting!!!!!!
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Just wanted to add one thing. People have suggested that the more i get to know the gear the less fear i'll have, but for me it seemed to be the opposite. My first few jumps where i knew nothing about the gear, i had very little fear, as i got to know how things worked more and more, i started getting more and more affraid. For me ignorance was bliss, i simply just trusted everything i was given at first kind of like when you take a ride on a roller coaster, you're not really affraid because you just assume "they" know what their doing. If/When i get jumping agian, i sure do dread having to jump MY first pack job.

Believe in YOURSELF. You are a proven jumper.

If you have jumped before, all subsequent jumps are repeats.

If you have conquered the sky before...you can do a repeat jump...and conquer it again.

You know there isnt anything to be afraid of...you were able to demonstrate that you copuld handle it all before...go and handle it all again.

Believe in YOURSELF....and do it again...just like the last time.

I'd wish you good luck, but luck doesnmt really enter into it...it is you and your ability...the same ability you demonstrated to everyone before...use it again.

Have a great jump.;)

Bill Cole D-41

thanks everyone, but especially thanks to chuteless i think that's exactly what i needed to hear.
i'll post again here if i make it out to the dz at tecumseh this weekend and get one under my belt.

I guess you just have to find your own "trick".

Some people have suggested that you should make small steps, one by one, at the time.

For me, it was quite the opposite. I tried to make those small steps while I was a student - DID NOT WORK FOR ME... As I wrote, It's quite personal, so figure out yourself.

So what worked for me?

See, what happened when I tried that "small steps" approach was that I always ended up waiting for "better winds", or "the next load", or "didn't feel just right", or, or, or, or... (x1000).

You can always make up excuses (at least that's what I did) - I ended up not jumping for a month; I just hung around at the DZ and came up ever more lame excuses.

What did I do then? I made the decision! One day I just woke up, decided "today I'll go to the DZ, sign up for the first available [student] load and just do it [sponsored by Nike]".

And so I did. I went to the DZ, signed up right away (before talking to anyone, before anything else), got the student gear, met the instructor, geared up, and JUMPED. The fear I felt was almost intolerable, but I did it - and did it again, and again, and again and after 10-15 more jumps, I was not sooo freaked out anymore. Today, I love those butterflies in my stomach... :)

Maybe do a jump with an AFF-instructor? If you make an appointment, there is less chance of finding excuses too...
That's how I started again after 7 years not jumping.
I was nervous having thoughts like "can I still do it", "will my brain not lock up" etc. etc.
It was reassuring having someone around that could help, just in case. The jump went really cool and after that I had the trust in myself back and knew I could jump alone.

I am still nervous (hey, jumping from a plane is not a very sensible thing to do ;)) but the moment of jumping is not the stresspoint anymore. It really starts to feel like a familiar and trusted environment.

I agree with you: ignorance is bliss :ph34r:. First jump: gee, what happened... 3rd jump: ah, this is what happens.. 5th jump: this is crazy, I'm not going to jump! (Of course, I went after the ready-yes-go..)
But as you learn more, you get to trust your own reactions and your gear. I like to know a lot about gear so I can understand what can go wrong, know how to handle it and understand that there is only a very slight chance something will go wrong.

Good luck!

Fear keeps you alive. I still get butterflies definitely before the first jump of the day and sometimes every jump. :$ The day I stop feeling the butterflies at all....I'm stopping jumping.

I had some massive fear to get over twice (so far) in my jumping career. The first time was for my 2nd jump. I had taken 9 months off from jumping between my first and second jump due to surgery on my leg (non-skydiving related). The 2nd jump was tough because I knew more and understood more of what I was going to be doing.

The 2nd time I had massive fear that almost stopped me from jumping ever again was after my dad passed away. I had taken 10 months off from jumping to spend time with him while he was ill. Spent some weekends at the DZ during that time but did not jump. After my dad passed away, I decided to start jumping again - 1 week exactly after he passed away. The fear that time was horrible! Not only did I know what I was going to do - throw myself out of a plane :S - but I kept thinking...what would mom do if she had to bury me 1 week after she just buried my dad? :| It took me over 2 hours being at the DZ before I decided that I was ready to jump. I had friends holding my hands while riding up in the Casa to altitude and friends who were told - push me out the tailgate if I won't go. Got to the tailgate and was facing sideways...terrified...didn't want to go out the plane...didn't want to stay in the plane...almost frozen in fear. But, I made myself do it. Why? Because I wasn't going to let fear control me. If I did the jump and got down and decided that jumping was no longer for me - cool. But, I absolutely refused to not re-test the waters. Got out of the plane....breathed a deep, relaxing breath, and grinned. I was home!

So, fear is a natural - sometimes due to your injury, illness, sometimes just because, sometimes due to things you see/hear happen to other people.

Ultimately, how you deal with your fear is up to you. If you want to jump - go for it. If you need time before you jump - take it. If you don't ever jump again - that's cool to. It is your life...your body...your fear...you decide. All we can do is be your sounding board, give you advice, encouragement, discouragement (if need be), and wish you the best in your decision - whatever it is.

Good luck.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

T, Chuteless hit it right on the head.I fact,what he said was so simple yet so eloquent. That fear is a normal response-if you had none at all-then I think it would be time to worry! I let the fear keep me away for over 20 years and now I realize I missed alot of fun. As a pilot,I used to laugh at those guys that would go to the airport and make excuses why they weren't going to fly that day. Its all about confidence,you proved you had the courage.(PS: Chuteless-what you said was truly inspiring IMHO-a personal thank you.)
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

Re your recent post

"I'll post (IF) I make it out to Tecumseh and get one under my belt"

Should read If I make it out to Tecumseh, I WILL get one under my belt!!!

Make it happen...be positive...no negative thoughts....you CAN do it.You WILL do it.

All the best skies to you, my friend.

Bill Cole D-41:)