grue

Psycho packers: How to control the slider?

The best way to psycho pack is not to "roll" the canopy like you would a sleeping bag, but rather make 3 bag-sized "folds", using one hand to hold the canopy in place while you use the other hand to make the fold. And very important, as you do this, you pull the canopy back towards you to keep good tension on the lines. As someone else also said, hard to explain but very easy to demonstrate. Maybe I'll make a video of the technique and post in on the web.

I do it similiar to beezyshaw. I hold things in place with my left and fold with my right. There used to be a video on the internet showing the psycho pack. That is how they did it, and I've had good luck with it. In fact that is how I learned to psycho pack. Noone else in our club packs that way....Steve1

When I psycho pack my Fusion, after making a few rolls, the slider is squirting out of the other end of the pack job. What's the best way to prevent this nonsense?

First look at your pack job before you start rolling. Is the slider securly held in place by the tail? Is it tight or is there room for it to slip out?

Then, when you do the actual roll, make a nice tight "core" with the material closest to the bag. As you roll, don't pull up with the thumbs. This is the action that wants to pull the tail away from the slider. Instead, grab the roll firmly and rotate it toward the slider.

At first, take your time. Roll slowly and watch what action causes the tail to start sliding underneath, then stop it. ;)

One of the beauties of the Psycho Pack is that you can take your time and make sure each step is right. If it isn't, back up a step or two.

You WILL get the hang of it. Then you will be able to pack just about any canopy with ease.

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

When I psycho pack my Fusion, after making a few rolls, the slider is squirting out of the other end of the pack job. What's the best way to prevent this nonsense?

First look at your pack job before you start rolling. Is the slider securly held in place by the tail? Is it tight or is there room for it to slip out?

Then, when you do the actual roll, make a nice tight "core" with the material closest to the bag. As you roll, don't pull up with the thumbs. This is the action that wants to pull the tail away from the slider. Instead, grab the roll firmly and rotate it toward the slider.

At first, take your time. Roll slowly and watch what action causes the tail to start sliding underneath, then stop it. ;)

One of the beauties of the Psycho Pack is that you can take your time and make sure each step is right. If it isn't, back up a step or two.

You WILL get the hang of it. Then you will be able to pack just about any canopy with ease.

Thanks for the tips. The main problem I have is that tail is very tight, but it unrolls itself >:(

But I'll try that stuff next time I jump!
cavete terrae.

Even when it's tight you have to maintain tension on it as you roll. As Beezy said hard to explain easy to show. I've been psycho packing everything I've ever jumped and have never had a squirrely slider like you describe..

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Allrighty then, lets see y'all pack a real canopy instead of one of them thar pocket rocket types...like say my Safire2 229. It is a lot more difficult then it looks. Although the first time that I Psycho packed, it opened up owsogawddammsweet that I almost forgot that it was there. Then I went ahead and decided that was the way I was going to pack from then on out...thats where the real fun began, doing it again. Seems like beginner luck the first time around, and lots of cussin' the rest of the times. But still working on all the nylon banditos
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

For someone that is more inexperieced- why is it called a 'psycho' pack??!

The "psycho" part comes from when you lay it down. You intentionally flip the canopy 180 degrees, laying it down with the seam up. Looked pretty psychotic at first. Of course, that flip gets reversed later in the pack job.

The psycho pack is also known as the "Happy Smurf Pack" for those who think "psycho" is a little harsh.

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Personally, I kneel on or near the gromets and roll the canopy towards me (pretty much opposite from what most people do). I have found that this keeps the slider and everything else under control (for me anyway).
"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

Allrighty then, lets see y'all pack a real canopy instead of one of them thar pocket rocket types...like say my Safire2 229. It is a lot more difficult then it looks.

I pack my 365 zp tandem canopy using the psycho pack. I've got over 1000 tandems without a malfunction using the technique, and I can't imagine packing a big canopy any other way. I conducted a seminar last PIA symposium on psycho packing tandems. It's very easy to control the pack job and especially easy to bag the canopy...when done "correctly".

For someone that is more inexperieced- why is it called a 'psycho' pack??!

Here's the story behind the name...

Back around 96, when I was on the road/demo tour with Precision, we had just begun packing all our demo canopies that way. (George Galloway and I had developed the technique together a few months before and had tested it extensively before actually packing demos that way.) At this point we still were tossing around ideas for what to call the method. We were promoting the Batwing at that time, so we thought about BatPack, Precision Pack, and a few others, but nothing had the right "ring" to it. Anyway, as I was on my knees getting ready to bag a canopy, I noticed a pair of sneakers standing beside me. I looked up, said "hello", and this guy had the most puzzled look on his face as he said, "are you actually going to JUMP a canopy packed like that?" I of course replied that I pack everything that way, and then he got a REALLY strange look on his face, just shook his head and said, "man, you are PSYCHO!" I got a huge chuckle out of his reaction, and when I went back to work the next Monday I told George the story and at the exact same time we looked at each other and said, "That's it! We'll call it the Psycho Pack!" Later we decided it was a terrible name with connotations we didn't want, but by then it was too late, our great way of packing a zp main was forever to be the "psycho pack". :D

The length of bridal between the top attachment point ring on my canopy and the bag is relatively short, especially with main PC cocked. I used to "Psycho pack" previous canopies and bridal/bag set ups prior to this with great success and pleasure, but have hesitated, because it does not seem as though I can properly (and fully) "re-center" the bag over the top of the rolled (or "folded"), ready-to-bag canopy any more. It seems to pull top-skin out to whatever side of the pack-job the bridal is laying. ...Is this a concern that makes my set up inelligible for this packing method, Beezy? I sure would be more than happy to go back to packing this way, but have hesitated because the (inside the bag portion) of the bridal appears in my case, to be too "short" to me.

Is my hesitation/concern with that (causing potential off-heading deployments, or canopy material burns) reasonable? An "extension" is not an option due to my current bag/bridal manufacture combination.

Maybe the pack job is also not necessarily just fine for "everybody"?

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

The length of bridal between the top attachment point ring on my canopy and the bag is relatively short, especially with main PC cocked. I used to "Psycho pack" previous canopies and bridal/bag set ups prior to this with great success and pleasure, but have hesitated, because it does not seem as though I can properly (and fully) "re-center" the bag over the top of the rolled (or "folded"), ready-to-bag canopy any more. It seems to pull top-skin out to whatever side of the pack-job the bridal is laying. ...Is this a concern that makes my set up inelligible for this packing method, Beezy? I sure would be more than happy to go back to packing this way, but have hesitated because the (inside the bag portion) of the bridal appears in my case, to be too "short" to me.

Is my hesitation/concern with that (causing potential off-heading deployments, or canopy material burns) reasonable? An "extension" is not an option due to my current bag/bridal manufacture combination.

Maybe the pack job is also not necessarily just fine for "everybody"?

Blues,
-Grant

You can always get a bridle extension. That's what I ended up doing. That having been said, my pack jobs while I was waiting for it to show up involved a little topskin moving, and they seemed ok. Opened fine, at least.
cavete terrae.