billvon

Belly mount

Here's a few pictures of my belly mount setup.

The first two are the 'usual' setup. The camera is bolted to a small aluminum plate; the plate is held on by a type-8 strap and a lightweight friction adapter (like the one on wide cheststraps.) The black box is a circuit that fires the camera once every second.

The third picture is a legmount I use for canopy shots. Since the snag hazard is rather high I only use this for solo hop and pops. There are a few commercial belly mounts that look something like this; I tend to avoid those for normal RW.

Nice pictures.

In the first one it looks like you have a light coming out of your head or a megaphone so you can hear better :P

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Bill,

Care to share the circuit design? I could figure it out but it's been a long time since I took circuit design. I once designed one that waited a variable small amount of time, then fired 1, 2, or 3 shots. This was armed by a grip on a handle on the strut of a 182. Then fired by the student releasing the handle. Fired a camera mounted at the end of the strut.

Any, care to share?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

In the first one it looks like you have a light coming out of your head or a megaphone so you can hear better

my thoughts exactly!

you shur r purty, bill!

edited to add... man, you gotta clean that garage! what a mess!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I've seen some of your belly mount pictures and they look great. Maybe this is what I need. I've had so much neck trouble that I have a lot of trouble jumping a conventional camera helmet, with a couple cameras on it. Then again my hard opening canopy doesn't help any. Maybe you should patent some of that and market it. I'm interested.....Steve1

>Care to share the circuit design?

It is a PIC16F88 processor with some software. To run a camera via Sony's LANC connector, you need to speak to the camera in this bizarre serial protocol, and 'fool' the camera into thinking your gadget is a real Sony remote shutter release. Only other parts are a zener diode (to cut down voltage) and a few resistors/capacitors.

Once I have it working 100% I will try to build a few and send em out to people. It's really cheap (a few bucks in parts.)

>- Miniforce rings on your Icon?

Because we swap canopies/bags/PC's quite often. I believe the Miniforce risers are currently on the Pilot 150, which is my wingsuit canopy and the canopy I am taking to Thailand. (I don't really want to manuever the 108 through that many people!)

>What size canopies or wing-loadings are World Team organizers recommending?

I _think_ in 2004 it was 1.25 to 1.75. The canopy I end up using will actually depend on where I'm opening. If I end up pulling high or in the middle, it will probably be the Pilot 150, loaded about 1.3 to 1 - that way I can out-float most people and land with the cameramen. If I end up in a low pulling wave, I may go with a smaller Pilot so I can get down more quickly.

Given where I was last year, though, it is likely I'll be pulling higher rather than lower.