mach2

How do i get a rig through the airport?

It'd be less conspicuous if you just put it in a gear bag. ;) But if you want to draw attention to yourself, then just throw it over your shoulder!

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Placing it in a simple, carry-on size compliant STANDARD roller-bag piece of "luggage" would be a much better option. Why would you NOT want to do this in ANY case if/when "carrying on"?

If you insist on openly slinging it over your shoulder or back, then:

1. Draw as tight as possible, and even possibly tie together as close to BOC as you can the leg straps. (having them dangle freely about exposes them to "catching" on things, including the belt of the security scanner it will go through.

2. Secure your cutaway handle (do this if even put IN a carry-on roller-bag or gear bag) so it can not be inadvertently pulled. I do this by threading my chest strap once ALL THE WAY tight through the tensioner, then putting several wraps THROUGH the handle (D-ring) and securing the excess with a rubber band or its own "keeper band" (if so equipped).

3. Push your BOC hackey, handle or what-have-you all the way into it's pouch.

It will pretty much look like anyone else's nap-sack or book bag this way to most folks, and be "tight" secured for travel. Of course remember to reverse all this, and thorough gear check upon arrival at your detination and before actually jumping/using it while EXITING an airplane at alt.!

In short though, carring it entirely exposed and "loose" really serves NO PURPOSE at all other than to shout: "Hey whuffo's look at me, I'm a skydiver". :S In reality though, and for PRACTICALITY, there is no (good) reason to even potentially expose yourself to that level of attention. JMO though of course.

Hope this helps.
BLUE SKIES,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

carring it entirely exposed and "loose" really serves NO PURPOSE at all other than to shout: "Hey whuffo's look at me, I'm a skydiver". :S

you should already be wearing a skyive T-shirt, so you already have the attention :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Placing it in a simple, carry-on size compliant STANDARD roller-bag piece of "luggage" would be a much better option. Why would you NOT want to do this in ANY case if/when "carrying on"?

The only reason I didn't was because I didn't have a bag to carry it on in. I sure as hell wasn't going to check it. :P

I don't remember how, but I tied up the legstraps so that they weren't hanging down. My rig is mostly black, so it probably looked like some kind of backpack, and I didn't get any weird looks or anything, not even from the TSA people. ;)

2. Secure your cutaway handle (do this if even put IN a carry-on roller-bag or gear bag) so it can not be inadvertently pulled. I do this by threading my chest strap once ALL THE WAY tight through the tensioner, then putting several wraps THROUGH the handle (D-ring) and securing the excess with a rubber band or its own "keeper band" (if so equipped).

That's a good idea about the chest strap -- it's very hard to forget the chest strap. Safer than a twist tie or string, because I can't forget to untie the cutaway -- because I need the chest strap anyway.

I do use a gym bag, but this is a good point -- try tieing down the handles with some other part of the rig so that it is impossible to forget to make the rig safe for jumping. :P

Thanks for the tip in case I am forced to transport the rig without a bag for any reason... Not at the airport, but if my gear bag got locked away or the gear bag forgotten in somebody's car trunk and they left early (this sort of thing actually happened to me, and I had to go home with the rig barebones)

I sure as hell wasn't going to check it.

Sometimes it is not your choice. They can tell you no, they don't care what your TSA papers say and your only recourse it to waste time and miss your flight trying to convince higher ups.

The airlines do have large, thick plastic bags to use in case this happens.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I sure as hell wasn't going to check it.

Sometimes it is not your choice. They can tell you no, they don't care what your TSA papers say and your only recourse it to waste time and miss your flight trying to convince higher ups.

The airlines do have large, thick plastic bags to use in case this happens.

I should have added "unless I absolutely have to". ;)

i have flown with my rig over my shoulders many times. i do tie the leg straps together, and zip tie my reserve handle...the zip tie has a "Remove before flight" tag on it for my attention. i also carry the xray card for my cypress. if asked what it is i reply its a "sporting parachute" never have had one problem in over a dozen flights. when asked why i dont check it by security, i simply say it costs $5000.

really though the main reason i have no problems is that i use words like, "please" "sir/mam" "no problem" while taking with the security. give them some respect, and they respond.

A group of us went to Eloy this year and one guy didnt have a gear bag, just slung it over his shoulder, therefore I mentioned that maybe he should tuck his hackey in. After about 5 minutes of thought " I went to undo his hackey to let it dangle".
As far as bringing your rig onboard w/o a gear bag, ppl as so oblivious that it fasinates me. Even the TSA
in JFK????

I've travelled extensively all over the country with my rig as a carry-on without any real problems. I used to put it in another bag by itself but stopped doing that since it just added more time to the process since I had to remove it every time anyway. Usually they insist on doing the bomb residue screening on it but sometimes it makes it through without a second glance. I always carry an extra pull-up cord or two in case I have to open it, but after going through security probably 50 times now with it, I have never been asked to open it. Beware of small planes with limited over head storage though, I had to gate-check it once since people with fat suitcases ate up all the overhead bins.

Just be polite, don't volunteer any extra information, and answer their questions as simply as possible and I'd bet you won't have any problems. Wuffos don't know what a parachute looks like anyway. Only once did some moron in the terminal randomly yell, "NICE PARACHUTE DUDE!!!" at me as I was boarding. I just shot him a dirty look, mostly for yelling at me, and boarded the place without acknowledgeing his obvious desire for attention.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

and zip tie my reserve handle...the zip tie has a "Remove before flight" tag on it for my attention

I have a friend of mine who was travelling with me on a jump excursion once who did something very similar. Instead of a zip-tie though, he used a brightly colored (florescent orange) pull-up cord in the relatively same manner as you describe. - Not any more. Again, you can NOT (even remotely possible) miss your chest strap if you simply use that instead, because you need to remove/open it to even put your rig on (for jumping).

Yup, you guessed it. Believe it or not, while heading to the boarding area for load 1 at the destination to our trip DZ, and a group of us just mulling around, etc. etc. (the usual) some guy points and says to my bud: "Hey dude, what's the pull-up cord through the reserve handle for?" :S - - -OOPS! :$

Of course WE would have caught it before actually boarding, then exiting the plane too at SOME POINT I'm sure. :):P - - -Right?

Just "food for thought" though, eh?

What if the "remove before flight" ribbon (or "tag"?) flipped around UNDER the lateral lift web (if you DID happen to miss it) as you put the gear on? I'd venture to say that a bright pull up cord is probably even MORE visible than a thin zip-cord for sure whence you get to this point. ...Far fetched? Maybe. But personally, and just by what I HAVE WITNESSED, regardless, I would not do EITHER and would rather not use ANY "ancillary devices" that could (even remotely) possibly be missed. JMO. YMMV.

But then again, that is what a good pre-jump (pre-boarding, even pre-gearing up) gear check is for. No need to make EITHER mistake(s) or oversight at all IMHO.

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I've done the same - No problems - One TSA screener asked me if I had a laptop in there - I had to chuckle and respectifully told him it was a sport rig. He said "oh, Cool!" and just ran it through the X-Ray. His supervisor was there and noticed what it was, then called some of the other screeners over for some quick OJT - He pointed out the Cypres to them, etc. I was totally blown away. I think this was at the Orlando airport.

Easy Does It

and zip tie my reserve handle...the zip tie has a "Remove before flight" tag on it for my attention

I have a friend of mine who was travelling with me on a jump excursion once who did something very similar. Instead of a zip-tie though, he used a brightly colored (florescent orange) pull-up cord in the relatively same manner as you describe. - Not any more. Again, you can NOT (even remotely possible) miss your chest strap if you simply use that instead, because you need to remove/open it to even put your rig on (for jumping).

Yup, you guessed it. Believe it or not, while heading to the boarding area for load 1 at the destination to our trip DZ, and a group of us just mulling around, etc. etc. (the usual) some guy points and says to my bud: "Hey dude, what's the pull-up cord through the reserve handle for?" :S - - -OOPS! :$

Of course WE would have caught it before actually boarding, then exiting the plane too at SOME POINT I'm sure. :):P - - -Right?

Just "food for thought" though, eh?

What if the "remove before flight" ribbon (or "tag"?) flipped around UNDER the lateral lift web (if you DID happen to miss it) as you put the gear on? I'd venture to say that a bright pull up cord is probably even MORE visible than a thin zip-cord for sure whence you get to this point. ...Far fetched? Maybe. But personally, and just by what I HAVE WITNESSED, regardless, I would not do EITHER and would rather not use ANY "ancillary devices" that could (even remotely) possibly be missed. JMO. YMMV.

But then again, that is what a good pre-jump (pre-boarding, even pre-gearing up) gear check is for. No need to make EITHER mistake(s) or oversight at all IMHO.

Blues,
-Grant

Yep, can't (ok shouldn't) miss the chest strap. Anything else is just asking for problems.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've taken my rig in a duffel bag a couple times. Several times it hasn't even gotten a second glance after going through the xray machine.

Once I was randomly pulled over for enhanced security screening--it may have had something to do with buying a 1-way ticket one day in advance [:/]. This was at ohare again and they gave it a little wipe with their electronic nosewipe thing while the screener gave me a gentle, personal massage in public. The screeners all seemed to understand that it was to be treated carefully and seemed to anticipate my anxiety over their treatment of it. Which was nice. Another random security screening at Orange County airport ended up being rather entertaining as the screeners all asked about skydiving and seemed more interested in any stories I could tell them rather than my gear. Again the gear got special handling and an electronic nosewipe.

At Tampa when taking the rig through the security checkpoint the screener didn't recognize it and asked me what was in my bag. I explained what it was and what she was looking at, which added some confidence I think because although I wasn't looking at the xray screen it seemed to make sense to her. She called over a supervisor and explained to him that I had said it was a parachute...the supervisor shrugged and said "well then, it probably is." and sent me on my way.

I'd have to say the staff at ohare has been consistently the most professional with my gear.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Expect lots of jokes about people wanting to sit next to you on the plane. They just haven't thought through the difficulties of a 30,000 foot "Mr. Bill" out of a pressurized cabin at 350+ mph.

On a practical note: if you are renting from a home DZ and bringing it with you, give yourself some extra time. I got the full search done on me, my belongings, and my rig because the machines detected "something" on a strap. Since you have the rig now, it becomes your problem to explain. In the end, all my personal info got entered into a TSA alert log. Perhaps this will add a strip search the next time I'm in customs coming back home into the states. :)

Policies Published by the TSA and nearly all domestic carriers allow for "parachuteing" or "skydiving" equipment to be either checked or carried on. The reason a gear bag is recommended, is that although the TSA is required by their policy to make every effort to inspect your rig without unpacking your reserve, they do reserve the right to do so. If this were to happen, they are required to give you a space in order to repack your rig, but since the majority of us are not riggers, the gear bag now comes into play. With a little scooping and shoving you put the deployed reserve and your rig into the gear bag and make your flight.

You can find the TSA policy on their website, and you can usually look up the airline policies the same way. You can also call the airline corporate office and ask for the PR department.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I've taken my rig in a duffel bag a couple times. Several times it hasn't even gotten a second glance after going through the xray machine.

Once I was randomly pulled over for enhanced security screening--it may have had something to do with buying a 1-way ticket one day in advance [:/]. This was at ohare again and they gave it a little wipe with their electronic nosewipe thing while the screener gave me a gentle, personal massage in public. The screeners all seemed to understand that it was to be treated carefully and seemed to anticipate my anxiety over their treatment of it. Which was nice. Another random security screening at Orange County airport ended up being rather entertaining as the screeners all asked about skydiving and seemed more interested in any stories I could tell them rather than my gear. Again the gear got special handling and an electronic nosewipe.

At Tampa when taking the rig through the security checkpoint the screener didn't recognize it and asked me what was in my bag. I explained what it was and what she was looking at, which added some confidence I think because although I wasn't looking at the xray screen it seemed to make sense to her. She called over a supervisor and explained to him that I had said it was a parachute...the supervisor shrugged and said "well then, it probably is." and sent me on my way.

I'd have to say the staff at ohare has been consistently the most professional with my gear.

I agree about O'Hare. I have been most surprised at Ontario, CA. They must get a load of jumpers coming through on the way to Perris and Elsinore, but each time I've been through Ontario they've been a real PITA about my rig.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I flew commercially with my rig about 10 Times last year. The first Time I was super Paranoid about it and put it in a Suit case. Screener asked what it was, I said Parachute and they said OK and that was it. Same scenario on the Return Flight.

The next few times I went I flew, It was just for a weekend trip and I didn’t want to deal with Checking my Luggage. So I had my Suitcase in Hand and the Rig on my Back. No Problem at all other than a few random comments from other passengers. Especially when I requested Exit Row seating (Im 6'2" so regular seats just dont cut it. Much more leg Room in the Exit Row). No problems at all. Had a few security screeners ask me about Jumping but it was just the usual Wuffo questions.

Once I had a Supervisor ask if he minded if he called a few others to see the Rig since most had never seen one. I agreed and explained the Cypress as they ran it back through the x-Ray for the others to see. I also showed then How to pick up the rig in needed and Made sure they understood that the Shiny metal handle was a No No. Not just because it would cost the owner of the rig a Repack but because the Pilot Chute was spring loaded and could possibly Injure someone if the pin is pulled and someone is standing directly over it. If they ever did have to open a reserve, Make sure to stand back when doing so and be ready to deal with a Pissed off skydiver afterwards. They laughed and sent me on my way.

The only problem I ever had was the last time I flew a couple weeks ago. I was flying out of Orlando and I didn’t realize until I got to the Airport that my Drivers License/ID had expired. That meant that I would have to go through SSSS Screening. Soon as my Rig passes without Question as usual through the x-Ray.. I am Pulled off to the side for Wanding. A TSA agent walks up to my Rig and Opens up the Main part of the Container. That is when I said Hey wait a Minute... If you are going to open My Rig I want to watch to make sure you dont do anything that could put my life in danger next time I use it. Her reply was ... "You mean this is a Parachute?? I though it was just a BackPack". I suggested she get a supervisor and/or check TSA regulations for dealing with a Parachute. She went and talked to her Supervisor and He told her to Swap it and let it go. They swabbed it and then Helped me Reclose the Container (Shoe String works great for a Pull up cord). The entire exchange was very polite.

Airlines allow One Carry on and One personal Item. The Rig has always passed for my Personal Item however If I put it in a Duffel or Suit case it would count as the Carry on and I would have to check my other Bag. I hate Checking Luggage and try to avoid it if at all possible.

To not put your rig in a bag is asking for trouble, in my opinion.

It might be fun to get some questions, but it only takes one passenger that gets nervous, and tells an attendant of this for you to be forced to put it down below. Do you want baggage handlers throwing it around without it being in a bag? Do you want someone's busted bottle of who-knows-what dripping on it?

Not many rigs will fit in the 'box' that all carry on is supposed to fit. Airlines are reluctant to enforce this rule, but they can at any time. You also cannot be sure there will be room in the overhead bins.

The closer you are to the plane, the less likely you are to be able to get one of the airline's big clear plastic bags to put your rig in.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am