BiscoeT

MONEY

Where I trained (in CA) it's about $1,300 for all of AFF, a few hundred for a jumpsuit, a few hundred for an altimeter and helmet, and up to about 3 grand for a decent used rig. You'll also need to spend up to about $1,000 more on jumps, gear rental, and coaching before you get your A license. One step at a time though :)
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Figure on a minnimum of $4500, if you're training in the US. Of that, $2500 or so you can get back if you sell the gear that you bought.

A more realistic number would be $5000 to $5500.

The real problem is the ongoing money you'll spend on jumps and new gear and jumps and new gear and jumps, and make sure you have some for new gear.

It'a not uncommon for a weekend fun jumper to have $8000 to $10,000 tied up in equipment, and make 200 to 300 hundred jumps per year (depending on if you can jump year-round or not). Add in travel expenses, beacuase you'll want to go places to jump, and the yearly cost could easily be $5000 or more.

But really, don't worry about the money, it'll work itself out.

Getting into this sport these days does take a fair amount of cash. I started back up about five years ago, and I didn't have to do much retraining (luckily).

One lady who is a teacher at the school I work at asked me what I was thinking?? She said after all you're just a teacher, and you don't make enough money to do a sport like that.

So, I got to thinking....This lady smokes probably two packs a day. That's a lot more than I spend on jumps in a year. So, that's kind of how I rationalize my jump habit today. If you're a smoker, quit and you'll have plenty of cash to jump with....Steve1

But really, don't worry about the money, it'll work itself out.

Ya, it works itself out. You pretty much give up everything and eat top ramen for lunch and dinner. At least thats what I did, but it is worth it! Now if I can just sell my truck that will free up enough money for about 30 more jumps per month:|
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Thanks alot for all of the good advice guys....

I have about 5 grand to spend on this....

I had my first jump about a year ago now, im finally in a situation where i can (almost?) afford to do this as a hobby....

Hmm, 1.5-2k for your AFF. Take the prices you see on the websites and figure on having to repeat 1-3 levels. Some places might require coaching to get your license while others will not. Really, training prices can vary a lot from DZ to DZ.

And 3k should be able to get you a decent used rig with a Cypres.

my friend just did all this...the amount is stunning...$2000 on jump course...still has some on account...$300 jumpsuit...$4000 on a "container...whatever that is...i know it did not include the parachute...it was bought by itself for $800...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my tandem changed my life....i have never done it from behind....and i liked it....

I spent about 8 to 9 grand last year, my first year of jumpng.

I hope your profile is not up to date.If you spent 9k and only got 30 jumps you got screwed.Come to the Dublin Boogie I'll give you unlimited jumps for 9k.;):D

Fuck spence give me 4000 and i will buy all your jumps at dublin see you just saved yourself 5K dollars

http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Only got 20 jumps and been doing this since Nov,
FJC inc 1 jump: £180
19 RAPs jumps @ £20 each (subsidised by uni): £380
20 mins tunnel time @ £10/min: £200
Used alti: £50
Gloves: £12
Balaclave (its cold and I am a wuss): £10
Log book: £7
Travel expenses and food atthe DZ: approx £50

Grand total of £889!

Ouch, that is a lot more than I thought it was going to be!
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

Man, I got off light compared to you guys.

My licence:

FJC: $165
4 additional SL jumps: 4 @ $45/ea = $180
20 freefalls w/gear: 20 @ $25/ea = $500
USPA membership & licence fees = $77
Total for licence: = $922

Gear:
New Infinity container (50% off): = $1,129.50
New Smart reserve: = $806.65
Used Fusion main: = $850
Assembly + reserve pack = $100 (estimate. I can't remember)
Altimaster Galaxy GlowFace = $129

Total: $3,937.15

Still need to get a jumpsuit, helmet, and audible though.
Oh, and an AAD
cavete terrae.

The best money I've spent so far is a 5 jump canopy course. For me this was jumps 13-18, it has made a tremendous difference in my landings and general confidance.

I plan on taking the advanced canopy course as well.

Best of luck to you