joewantaharley

Traveling with your rig & security.

Traveling with your rig. I was told not to check it so it does get damaged. I went to the holiday boogie in Eloy. I met every security officer in STL. On the way back. Pheonix airport screwed with me. They were wanting me to open it , pull the reserve. I even have a cypress card showing them what they are looking at , a print out from the internet saying I can carry it on from the airline. My buddy went to FL same thing. Now I'm going to NC. Just looking for some help so I don't get screwed with. Question 2 How do you get the dessert sand out of your main? 15 jumps later it still dirty. Thanks for your help. Blue skies to you.

It's worked fine for me a couple times. Maybe it just depends on the security person and if they've ever run across a rig before. Seems that if you had all those papers with you, it should be fine. Did you have the print out from TSA?

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005b0f5

It says blatantly right there from TSA you can carry a rig on w/ an AAD...so show that to the next idiot who demands you can't do this.

I was in Eloy last month, and took my rig with me through security at Phoenix on the way back. There were pleasant folks on duty, like the ones doing security in Minneapolis and Orlando and other airports I've been through recently. I've never had to show an AAD card or airline letter or TSA letter, and never had a problem with carrying a rig.

I noticed that many of my fellow passengers treated the security people poorly, though. Lots of scowls, not much eye contact. It was impossible not to see how much the TSA folks brightened up when someone made eye contact, smiled, and was cheerful through the process.

Accept that your rig is going to get stopped by the scanner. Have you looked at your Cypres or Vigil card? If you'd been looking at laptops, cans of shaving cream, and zippers all day, wouldn't all those rings, cable housings, spring coils, and wires scare the heck out of you?

So make it easy for yourself and them. If you have a weight belt, pack it somewhere else. Pack your rig so they can get to it easily to swab it. Leave yourself enough time so you can give an impromptu lesson on skydiving equipment -- everybody's curious about skydiving (it's something they all want to do, but aren't sure they have the nerve). And believe that we're all on the same team.

Mark

Look up there at the top of the page. Click on "Search Posts". Set the fields as follows:

Search: General Skydiving Discussions
Search string: traveling travelling travel tsa airport security -Re:
Type of search: Any words
Fields to search: Subject
Show posts from the last: Show all posts
Leave the "Only show posts made by" field blank
Sort posts by: Post date
Results per page: 25

Click the "search" button.

When I did the above, I got 9 threads on the first page of results that seem relevant.

:)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

how bout having it comming up missing? I havent travled with my rig yet buy am about to in a couple months. Its going to be put in a gear bag and is only leaving my hands for a security check and thats it!
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

if you were flying out of STL chances are you were flying American Airlines. Ask agents to print you out page N*probhitied Items

on line 79 it says: parachutes are allowed to be carried on aircraft as long as they do not have a CO cartiage why they don't allow those I don't understand, becuase there one under every seat on aircraft (life vests) go figure. I've never seen a Parachute with CO cartiages.

Exactly why I just carry it on as my "personal item." Although I always thought about what would people do/think if I just stood up in the aisle half way through the flight and started putting everything on. Put on the rig, helmet, goggles, wave at the people around you and say "see ya!."

Someone try and report back.

Someone try and report back.

A flight attendant once asked me how I intended to get out if I needed to. I politely told her the price of a new parachute as an explanation of why I chose to carry it.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Altimeters and alti-watches are fine in carry-ons. Just give time for extra scrutiny.

I have literally criss-crossed the country many many times with my rig as a carry-on over the last couple years with little or no problems. Just be friendly, bring copies of documents mentioned (incl USPA card), and give yourself extra time.

Protec will be fine in checked bags.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Question for ya in regard to that document you linked to:

Typically, a rig will move through the checked luggage or carry-on security screening process without need for physical inspection. However, TSA screeners have a duty to thoroughly inspect any item that raises suspicion. If screeners determine that it is necessary to open a rig for complete inspection, then the owner of the rig must be present and will be allowed to assist.

Does this mean they can ask you to unpack your main and reserve, even if you present all of the documents you can possibly present?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Does this mean they can ask you to unpack your main and reserve, even if you present all of the documents you can possibly present?

Yep. It sure does.

But it is unlikely if you cooperate and do not give them a hard time or attitude.

The same exact thing can happen if you check it too. Somewhere on here is thread where someone checked their luggage and TSA opened their reserve with BOLT CUTTERS if I remember correctly.

I would much rather have my rig with me so that I could atleast know for certain what if anything was done to it.

I have Traveled with my rig 10 Times (20 Flights) and rarely had any problems at all wit it as a carry on. The only time I did have a Problem was when a TSA Agent just grabbed my Rig and start pulling the main out (She had pulled on the bridle and poped the pin by mistake). Soon as I told her what it was and politely asked if we could get a supervisor to assist. She stopped called the supervisor and he told her Parachutes were OK. She then ran a swap test and helped me Close the main back up and then they asked if they could use my rig to show the other agents what one looked like. I had plenty of time and agreed. Really no trouble at all.

Thanks everyone. I got the no attitude show them what it is ect. I was hoping there was a better answer.
Sounds like it just depends on who you get. I guess I will found out on wed. HERE I COME CAROLINA SKY SPORTS. I always like checking out new DZ when I'm out of town.

BOLT CUTTERS will they pay for repairs or are you screwd.

I always check my rig. Domestic and Internation. What damage are you concerned with?

Damage that I can't detect.

Since my checked luggage nearly always arrives with that TSA flier saying they opened up my bag, I'd rather the manhandling be done in sight.

Nevermind that the default insurance is well short of the cost of the rig.

the default insurance is well short of the cost of the rig

I can't afford to lose my rig either, that's why I have an insurance rider for sporting goods added to my homeowner's insurance (also had it with renter's insurance). That rider covers your specific items at 100% coverage in the event of loss/destruction caused by anyone, even by the people at the airport. I just called my insurance company (Allstate) to confirm this yesterday.

For my s/o & I we have a $25,000 sporting equipment rider, it costs an additional $120/year, well worth it!

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Unfortunately, I don't have one of those "hanky-size" rigs.. I'll HAVE to check / mail forward mine, when it comes time to start travelling with it.

I've got a Safire 2/229 - Unless yours is bigger than the acre of fabric I have over my head, you can check it.

I could cover Cleveland with my canopy.