joewantaharley

Traveling with your rig & security.

I flew out this morning from Ft Lauderdale-Hollywood International with my rig slung over my shoulder. I had my cypress card & the TSA notice, was very polite, informed them I was carring a sport parachute as I handed them my cypress card before my rig it went through the x-ray machine.

They did a swab on my container and let me go right on through to the boarding area.

I hope JFK is just as easy when I leave NYC.

I can't afford to lose my rig either, that's why I have an insurance rider for sporting goods added to my homeowner's insurance (also had it with renter's insurance). That rider covers your specific items at 100% coverage in the event of loss/destruction caused by anyone, even by the people at the airport. I just called my insurance company (Allstate) to confirm this yesterday.

Does it cover rental gear for the six months it can take to have a new rig built to your specifications?

And vacation cancellation insurance?

The equipment cost is only part of the problem.

I just travelled through Jacksonville Florida with my new Mirage rig. I had no problems with TSA, You can do a search and check my post. The supvr. in charge of the screeners even gave them a little OJT in what our rigs look like I produced the Cypres card and showed them, my USPA card and had all the TSA paperwork from the web. The JAX security folks like you to run the rig through the x-ray separately in one of those grey bins. I was polite and the TSA folks were polite.

Just like one of the earlier posters said be prepared to give a little OJT. It works for me.

Funny the only other place I had some problems before was PHX and PSP( Palm Springs) and at PSP they just didn't know about the rigs and I produced the paperwork and stood my ground and found a TSA supervisor that said "it passed a swipe test didn't it" well let him on with it it's OK.

To sum up.

ARRIVE EARLY
BE POLITE
HAVE YOUR DOCUMENTATION

Works everytime.

Chris

Unfortunately, I don't have one of those "hanky-size" rigs.. I'll HAVE to check / mail forward mine, when it comes time to start travelling with it.

I've got a Safire 2/229 - Unless yours is bigger than the acre of fabric I have over my head, you can check it.

I could cover Cleveland with my canopy.

Sabre 2 230ft^2, PDR 218, Vector III V357M (12-14"W, 18.5"H, 5.5"D) - it aint gonna fit in the overhead bin.

*Let me rephrase that - I've not had the opportunity to *TRY* to put it in an overhead bin, but I don't THINK it will fit.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Was your rig in another bag, or out where everyone could see what it was?

It sounds like some use gear bags, and some don't. Is this an incorrect observation?

Not being in another bag, I would worry about the reserve handle being accidently pulled.

Wow - I have trouble getting my camera backpack in some of those overhead binds, and it's smaller than my rig.

Regardless, travelling, I'd have a choice between checking the rig or checking the camera backpack - and I'd most likely be checking a suitcase as well. May be a moot point, in the larger scheme of things.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It sounds like some use gear bags, and some don't. Is this an incorrect observation?

Not being in another bag, I would worry about the reserve handle being accidently pulled.

I do not have a gear bag, so no, it was not in a gear bag of any kind. My rig is Gold/Royal Blue. I stowed the leg straps to the left side main ring and slung it over my shoulder. Passengers may have thought what the hell is that but nobody said a word. Clearing TSA was my only concern. I had read this thread the day before I traveled. I had my ID, USPA membership card, TSA notice about sport parachutes as carry on bagage & the cypress wallet card. The TSA screeners were most impressed with the Cypress wallet card. Everyone gathered around as if it was a training event, though it was cool, they all smiled alot in response to my goofy grin and allowed me to the boarding area.

I believe my good looks & world class demeanor played a major roll in the ease in which I was able to clear the TSA screeners. :) ...plus having my fingers crossed didn't hurt either. :P

My rig is a Vector3 353 size container w/ a 210 main. I had no problem fitting it in the overhead compartment of the 737 I was flying. My reserve is a pillow type handle which I had secured to the main lift web.

I believe my good looks & world class demeanor played a major roll in the ease in which I was able to clear the TSA screeners.

I may be in trouble. I look like a psycho mercenary...

Thanks for the info!

front page of LA times a few weeks ago. All USA airlines combined lose 10,000 checked bags a day......yes I read it twice and yes it was 10,000 a day.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Well I guess I have to except that I will away meet the security officers when traveling. STL they didn't ask me to open it this time. About 5 10 minute delay. No big deal. It was cool had my cypress card ready pull me aside showed them what it was & how it worked. They ask me if they could screen it again. Guy said its not everyday one of these comes through. I guess I'll see what happens on the way home from Raleigh. Let you know when I get home.

No dramas at Sydney airport, security staff said what's in there. Told them a parachute. Couple of funny looks but straight through.

Brisbane airport, massive dramas! Security basically told us to fuck off when we tried to carry them on. He wasn't the discussion sort & beer was on the menu so we went back to check in. Despite Cypres card and careful explanation Virgin Blue wouldn't let us check them in!!! Eventually a staff member came past and overheard the word Cypres, she knew her stuff and cleared the rigs for check in. Could have been a sticky situation!!

Guest 1010
I've been through security at PDX and PHX 4 times last 2 mos, through each time with delays 3-10min, with the rig wipeed down each place.

1. I always tell them it is a parachute as it goes into the xray machine.

2. I always hand them my Vigil card and the TSA letter.
(The TSA letter smoothed things over at PDX, that guy wanted a personal look at the Vigil box.)

3. The rig has been pulled out for inspection each time.

4. Be able to tell them with confidence that your AAD does not use a propellant cartridge to function. (Same PDX guy, told me I needed to show him the owners manual for the Vigil regarding this.)

5. Don't use cutaway/cutter/knife terminology; if anything, the AAD releases the reserve. ;) I mentioned cutaway handle and she was all over that asking if there was a knife involved. :|

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Newbie here..

I haven't flown with my rig yet (on a commercial flight that is). I'm just curious as to why the rigs are swabbed. What are they looking for?

They're normally looking for traces of explosives.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Go to the USPA website and go to the section on travelling with your rig. Whether you carry it on or not print out a copy of te TSA regulations regarding travelling with parachute. If you check it put it on top of your rig in a gearbag along with your travel itinerary.

Some airports make you take your checked baggage to the TSA security screeners. If you do that make sure you stand by until they are done inspecting it. You want to be present in case they have any questions. Per their regualations YOU MUST BE PRESENT to assist if they want to open it up and inspect it. There is nothing that says they can not make you open it. However, 99.99999999% of the time this is avoided by being curteous, explaining it is a parachute, providing the Cypress card if necessary, and a copy of teh TSA statute if necessary. If they still insist on opening the reserve ASK FOR A SUPERVISOR, be courteous, and explain that it's a parachute.

If you check your rig and the TSA opens it without you, contact Ed Scott at USPA immediately for assistance in filing a claim with the TSA.

Been there done tat check check out my ordeal here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=917382;search_string=TSA%20reserve;guest=20123549#917382

Scott

Been there done that got the reimbursemt check.

I can't speak for others, but I bareback mine. I can't find a pilot case that it'll fit in, but still be small enough to carry on. I tighten up the leg straps as much as possible, and stow the excess. Stuff the hacky all the way into the pocket. Chest strap around the MLW and through the reserve handle. I was tempted to use something else, but I figured I didn't want to put myself in a situation where it would be possible to put on my rig correctly, but have the reserve handle disabled because I forgot about the flextie or something.

In any case, rig over the shoulders, goggles, gloves, alti, logbook in the other bag. Everything I need to jump is with me.
cavete terrae.

Want to hear a good joke? I just travelled from Australia to New Zealand with my rig and went through Perth, Melbourne(twice), Sydney, Auckland and Christchurch - all international airports - with no problems whatsoever! However, my home town tiny little domestic only airport I had major security issues apparently and couldn't take it on as hand luggage! It had to be checked - and I held the plane up for 15 minutes! :D :D

But the international airports - well they let me walk straight through! You have to laugh sometimes don't you?
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?