Skymonkey13

I have a question about license numbers

I have noticed this for a long time now so i just thought i would ask.

Now i know that alot of people either fudge on their numbers and that some of them are done as a joke and they are just kidding for whatwvwr reason, but some seem to be meant to be serious.

Now i will use Tbrown as a example, and not because i'm saying he's lying or anything like that so please don't take offense to this Tom. As i said, i'm just using your numbers as a reference.

Now this is what Toms profile reads,

tbrown
Personal Information
Nick Name: Tom
City: Huntington Beach
Interests: Reading, home brewed beers, live music collection, swimming, diabolical intrigue, and merriment.
Email: [email protected]
Jump Profile
Home DZ: Perris Valley
License: D 6533
License Org: USPA
Number of Jumps: 740
Years in Sport: 11

Now my question is, Tom has less than 15 jumps more than i do, which i know does'nt mean anything, but i notice he's got a "D" license number of D-6533 and has been jumping for 11 years.

I have 727 jumps and got my "D" license back in Oct. of 97 and have been jumping for going on 15 years and only have a number of 20205 and when i started jumping the "D" numbers seemed to be a lot higher than what Tom's is. I'm almost sure they were in the HIGH four digits shortly after i started jumping.

So i am just wondering whats going on, and again , i'm not bashing Tom just using his numbers as a reference as i've seen a lot of others that just did'nt seem kosher but a lot of them were surely not correct for whatever reason.

Please don't take offense Tom.

Perhaps he's been jumping for 11 years. But Jumped for 5 years, took some time out of the sport and then started again. You don't loose your license if you stop jumping for a while.

But it would also be misleading to say you've been jumping for 25 years, if 10 of those years you didn't jump.

..just a thought....

Perhaps he's been jumping for 11 years. But Jumped for 5 years, took some time out of the sport and then started again. You don't loose your license if you stop jumping for a while.

But it would also be misleading to say you've been jumping for 25 years, if 10 of those years you didn't jump.

..just a thought....

Now thats a possibility, as i said i'm just wondering.

But some are just complete BS....not Tom's mind you, but others.

Tom got his license back in the early 80's and then took a 20 some year break. He only lists the number of years he has been actually jumping.

Thank you Sparky, that explains Toms.

But i still wonder about a lot of others.

As i said before, i wasn't putting Tom down, just using his numbers as a reference.

Thanks again.

Keep in mind that some license numbers may have been issued by organizations other than the USPA. ;)

I thought about that too, but uaually the persons home state and country are in the USA so it made me wonder.
I just used Tom's numbers because his were the numbers that were there when i decided ti finally ask the question, but i have seen as i'm sure many of you have a lot of other people with questionable numbers on the board.

Probably the same reason my A number is 17647 but I've only list that I've been in the sport for a few years.

I got my A license back in 1989 and then quit jumping until 2003

I dont think its reasonable to list that I've been in the sport for 16 years, because I really havent.
Thats just when I got my license ;)
__

My mighty steed

just because they are in the USA now... it doesn't mean that's where they started... :P

of course my numbers and all are correct...

Thats true also, but you can usually tell a USPA nimber and thats what his profile says is his licensing agent.
Whick means thats who issued that number.
But again, and i hate to keep bringing this up, but i'm not saying Tom's numbers are incorrect, i'm merely asking a question because i've seen crazy numbers on the board many times and wondered how they got a smaller number than mine (not that mines real small or anyting) when they had been jumping very few years compared to me and when i got my D.

I hope you understand what i'm saying as i'm not flaming anyone in particular....and especiallly not Tom. :)

i've seen crazy numbers on the board many times and wondered how they got a smaller number than mine

The other answers for a good number of people have been answered. Beyond that, people just flat out lie sometimes. Its happened and has been publicly outed more then once since I joined DZ.com back in May of 2000.

For instance, I'll probably hit 1900 this weekend, but I don't keep my jump numbers completely up to date on the forums, I really don't care that much. I used to display my D number but don't anymore. Its D-25777 and I got it in 2002 (or 2003, can't remember off the top of my head). My SCR number is higher then it should have been since I got my SCR in 2000 but didn't send in my form until about 2 years ago when my wife got hers...not that SCR numbers matter to most people anymore, though.

Sorry, rambling, basically some people don't care to keep their numbers up to date on the net as for jump numbers. Some people list seemingly odd license numbers for legitimate reasons and some people are dishonest.

Atleast its really easy to quickly figure out who is dishonest about their experience fairly easily just by what knowledge they have. Its really hard to BS experience.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

maybe it`s not USPA
in my profile u can find the number 1017 and i have only 116 jumps
but this is my home organization license
actualy it is FAR 1017 but in the field of licens number u cant type letters
the best way to find the truth is to PM Tom

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

..just a thought....

Well, the "years in sport" is a bit subjective, it doesn't say "years of jumping".... so someone who has been packing for years and jumping for one may have say 5 years in sport in their profile even though they have only jumped for 1..., others may think it is reasonable to put time in sport as since they began jumping. Should Canadians who take 6 months off every year due to weather halve their "years in sport" for example....?? :)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

> So i am just wondering whats going on

Perhaps for the same reasons that you don't list any number, or a name?

After the debacle with PhillyKev a while back, I saw no reason to make it that simple for some twit here to screw with me. The profile isn't so much inaccurate as just having gaps. Anyone who needs to find me can do so easily enough.

Probably the same reason my A number is 17647 but I've only list that I've been in the sport for a few years.

I got my A license back in 1989 and then quit jumping until 2003

I dont think its reasonable to list that I've been in the sport for 16 years, because I really havent.
Thats just when I got my license ;)

Strange. I got my A in 1992, and my number is in the 15000's :|

Well, it IS the internet after all...;)

Mine is the opposite, I qualified for my D about the same time Tom did, but didn't actually send in for it until years later when the PRO rating came out.

I 'could' have a 6000 series number, but instead have one in the 13,000 range, THAT gets an occasional quizzical look....30 years in the sport and it took ya 10 to get a D license?;)

My 'profile' jump numbers are also a bit misleading, I keep 3 logbooks, Sport Jumps, Tandems and Demos...
It's a 'personal' thing, but I really don't consider Tandems or Demos as having 'much' to do with Skydiving other than utilizing the same gear.

(also keeps things straight at tax time...write-offs)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...Mine is the opposite, I qualified for my D about the same time Tom did, but didn't actually send in for it until years later when the PRO rating came out.

I 'could' have a 6000 series number, but instead have one in the 13,000 range, THAT gets an occasional quizzical look....30 years in the sport and it took ya 10 to get a D license?...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Same story here. After graduation I jumped at a few DZ's where the subject of a license never came up. A few years later, while traveling from Georgia to New York, I visited a DZ at Hartwood, Virginia. Even though I had about 120 jumps and was current, they made me do a supervised solo because I had no license. So in late 1987 I filled out the paperwork and purchased my "A" license, which I still hold today.

I qualified for a "D" many years ago, and will buy one if I ever need one. Meanwhile, it was funny when I visited the Ranch a few years ago, watching the manifest staff acting almost impressed by my "low" "A" number.B|

Then came the gear check, as I lifted my Wonderhog onto the counter and watched their eyes get big...

Cheers,
Jon S.

Then came the gear check, as I lifted my Wonderhog onto the counter and watched their eyes get big...

I love it!B|

I get the same thing sometimes...

Old style dytter, frap hat, Altimaster with the 'fat' needle...10 year old container.:ph34r:

I like to throw my white Pioneer double zipper on too...for good maeaure!:ph34r:

Got questioned last year at a 'new' dz...here in Texas.

"When is the last time you jumped?"

"Yesterday in Califorina"

"How about before that...":)

"Last Saturday, in Alaska"

"...And before that?"

"The Sunday prior...in Voss, Norway";)

"Oh...":$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hee hee... An observation I made last year after watching the reactions of other jumpers when I jumped my "hog" for the first time at the Farm (after my Strato-Cloud had been packed inside for nine months):

When you jump an old rig as an occasional novelty, people think it's kinda neat. When it's your only rig, they think you're an asshole.

I had been using this rig since the mid '80's, back when they weren't all that unusual. As time went by, I kept jumping it, while the sport around me moved onto better things and every year I was noticing more and more raised eyebrows, curious comments, and even the occasional "Holy crap, you're actually going to jump that?!"

I got my new gear in 2004, days before my trip to New York. Part of the trip was a stay at the Ranch. It was so neat walking around among several hundred jumpers without being noticed. This experience had been a long-held fantasy, and I savored every moment of it.

Cheers,
Jon

Tom got his license back in the early 80's and then took a 20 some year break. He only lists the number of years he has been actually jumping.

I considered doing that also, but in the end decided to list the number of years since my first jump... in some ways it's a better frame of reference, because I started so long ago that I have jumped some pretty amazingly bad gear, including belly wart reserves, and I have over 50 jumps on round canopies! The folks starting the sport today have no idea how good they have it. But I do! ;)

Obviously with my low jump numbers I couldn't have been jumping that whole time, but just putting the 10 years that I've been an 'active' (some years more active than others!) member of USPA doesn't really do justice to how much I've seen the sport progress and grow up, and that's certainly been part of the fun of getting back into it!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."