BrianSGermain

Fear Abatement

i was terified of the dark....so i would stand by the light switch and turn it off,

i was afraid of snakes so i bought a boa....then another one.

Someone after my own heart!!! As a kid, I had a lot of fears. Heights, rollercoasters or spinney rides, needles, speaking to crowds, going fast – all things I avoided or could not do…

One day – I just said screw this – and I tackled my FIRST fear --

Heights = I climbed a 120' ladder straight up to the "grid" above a stage. The grid had metal grate floor so it appeared you were walking on air – with gaps for pulleys that you could fall thru if you did not step over - and stayed there until I felt ok about it. The next week I rappelled auzie style off the same grid.

Once I was ok with heights, then I knew I had a “system” to cure the other fears.

Rollercoasters = rode everyone I could. (Last count, over 130 different rollercoasters, but it only took two to cure my fear.)

Needles = gave a shit load of blood. (Excuse me nurse; what is the biggest gauge needle you use???)

Speaking to crowds = tried acting on stage then volunteered to teach a class.

Going fast = can you say 120MPH on my sportbike?

What I have learned about fear is that once you tackle a few – the rest are easy. And, I think I am more willing to try new things than my friends because I know how to tackle fear head on. Most of my friends say, “I could never stand in the doorway of a plane”. I say, “That is one of the most fun parts. You should try sticking your head out and spotting, that is a trip.”

greetings

when i had just started skydiving, i had a very intense "door-fear" - the door was like a chasm opening up into hell or something...

even simply thinking about the door while i was at work, home, etc. made my heartrate skyrocket - and i wasn't overwhelmingly afraid of the act of jumping itself, i was just dealing with an intense, somewhat irrational fear of the door...

SO here's what i did: thought association.
anytime i had a free minute to myself in my day-to-day life, i would close my eyes and think about the door of the plane... then, as my heart would start pounding in my chest, i would imagine something that calms me down... for me, that was images of nature - a pretty ocean beach, rolling midwestern hills of trees, stuff like that...

after a week or two, i found that i had associated the door with peaceful thoughts... and my fear melted away...

ciao

-dan

Great topic Brian, as I often get asked about the "fear" of jumping out of planes.

Its funny, this fear thing. I don't really call it fear anymore, mainly because being afraid paralyses me and keeps me from doing what I came to do. I recall recently when competing at nationals that one of my teammates reached out and squeezed my hand. This had never happened on a skydive before - I found myself checking my handles for the next few seconds and doing deep breathing exercises to control my fear. Its funny how getting out of your normal routine can bring on the rush that we sometimes refer to as "fear". I jumped out of the skyvan for the first time at chicks rock and got that same rush all over again - because it was something different. I think that I overcome that fear by mentally going over the skydive and focusing on my task and goals that I wish to accomplish. Then I get out of the plane. On the ground the rush will overwhelm me sometimes but then I go pack and do it all over again. I believe it is what feeds me and keeps me coming back.

Okay, just my 2 cents
FGF #6
Darcy

I think we should classify the ways to deal with anxiety and fear responses into at least two different groups depending on the speed of events and time available to correct the problem

For example:
1) On the way to altitude skydiver experiences a fear of getting out of plane or not performing well during a competition.
2) Skydiver deploys his main at 2000 ft and experiences a high speed malfunction.

In a first case, I found that slow deep breathing combined with visualization of positive experiences is a best way to deal with fear or anxiety.

The second requires immediate mental concentration on the problem and executing physical procedures to correct it (I only had to deal with low speed mals so far). I think the most important criteria’s here are proper training, awareness and calmness (before the problem occurred).

I think that standing up to your fears gives you something to look forward to. Gives you a good feeling, and lets you know that your the boss of you not the fear. You're right though, society runs on fear, everywhere you look, from the products you purchase to the news topics almost 100% of the time. Personally, I think that our fear driven society is only getting worse. I'm not affraid of alot, I think it gets in the way of living life to the fullest.;)

***Free bird Forever

This is a really interesting thread to read, how something we love binds us all together, but we cope with various aspects of it so differently.

Yes, I'm afraid to jump. On the ground and the ride to altitude my hands shake, my mouth dries out, my heart flutters constantly, I run my jump through my head repeatedly so that I know exactly what to do and what to expect. I force my way through that terror so that it doesn't defeat me.

I also know that as soon as my head is hanging out the door of the plane at the beautiful landscape below and the 14000 feet of freedom between earth and myself, that the fear is worth it. It dissappears completely, and I fly. On landing, I am nothing but smiles, even though I have so much to learn and do not acheive perfection with every jump and landing. I am proud of having done it again, and relaxed for those few minutes of freefall and canopy are the only time that I am not stressed out, not thinking about work and problems and everything else in my life. Skydiving is the only thing that focuses me completely, and knowing what the end effect is, fear is manageable.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

So far, I've never really felt a great deal of fear before the door of the aircraft opens. For instance, I've never felt fear while travelling to the dropzone, or while gearing up, or doing my flight line checks, or climbing aboard the aircraft, on the climb to altitude, or even doing my final checks before exiting.

When I feel fear is in the few steps towards the door. Usually it begins when the door opens - the rush of cold air and feeling the plane rock as divers exit makes it worse. I feel a clenching stomach and restricted breathing. I remember standing towards the front of a Skyvan, waiting for the JM's 'GO!', feeling the plane rise suddenly as a group of 6 exited and just thinking 'Ooh SHIT'

It never lasts long - once I'm in the door (or in the case of the Skyvan, start running) then my exit drills take over and then it simply becomes a case of running through the dive plan as rehearsed - it's just the few seconds between the doors opening and exit.

On my first jump, I remember feeling strangely calm and thinking that I ought to have been much more frightened. It is my belief that my ground school was responsible for alleviating those fears.

I'm a total newbie who was facing a jump today after 6 weeks off. And prior to those six weeks I'd had two very bad attempts at my first clear & pull (I'm talking "so unstable I couldn't find the main handle and had to go to my reserve" level of bad.) :S

I've spent much of the past six weeks overthinking my determination to "get" this. I made the decision when I left the dropzone after my last jump that I needed a new way to learn, and decided to do an AFF jump. Between scheduling and weather, it's taken till today for me to get back on a plane.

I must have visualized that dive 20 times today alone. Another 20 before today. I focused on my breathing. The visualization really worked! When I jumped out of that plane, I remembered everything I was supposed to do. I'm not sure I was quite relaxed, but I was at least focused, aware, stable, and actually enjoying myself. Although I thought several times about saying "I'm gonna just ride the plane back down" I'm so glad that I didn't because the combination of working through that fear and experiencing freefall for the first time has me excited about this sport again! And relaxed, too!

Every jump is a learning experience, and I've learned (unfortunately the hard way) that I can execute emergency procedures, save my own life, and land safely off-field. Now I'm ready to continue pushing through that fear and having good experiences!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

having only 4 jumps i still shake rattle and roll till altitude mr martin and mr nye would laugh and i will always remember mr. martin telliing me to relax as they were reading the warning labels on my harness but for some reason when the door opened and chris would motion for me to get into position it was all focus. everything had its place good or bad. me personally i wouldnt do it if it didnt involve some kinda fear:ph34r:

Brian:

I am wondering if there are different types of fear and we adopt different behaviors (cognitive, emotive, physical,) for dealing with them.

For example, is the fear of getting hurt different from the fear of failure? Are the psychodynamic foundations of rejection anxiety more complex than a primordial fear of falling?

Also some fears seem to be more simply alleviated. Getting your pin checked and playing pass the rock are very different responses to fear. Do those very different strategies indicate different types of fear?

I also find it interesting that playing pass the rock is so much harder than doing a pin check. Are our strategies for dealing with fear dictated by our abilities, our knowledge, and our personalities? Does that mean that fear reduction is much more specific to the individual than the situation?

Finally, maybe we need you to provide a workable definition of fear. Are we ( am I) confusing fear with concern, anxiety, and neurosis.

Great thread. Thanks for your participation. I saw you speak at Rantoul and think you are a tremendous asset to the sport.

The greatest enemy of the truth is not a lie, the greatest enemy of the truth is a myth.

Brian:

I am wondering if there are different types of fear and we adopt different behaviors (cognitive, emotive, physical,) for dealing with them.

For example, is the fear of getting hurt different from the fear of failure? Are the psychodynamic foundations of rejection anxiety more complex than a primordial fear of falling?

Also some fears seem to be more simply alleviated. Getting your pin checked and playing pass the rock are very different responses to fear. Do those very different strategies indicate different types of fear?

I also find it interesting that playing pass the rock is so much harder than doing a pin check. Are our strategies for dealing with fear dictated by our abilities, our knowledge, and our personalities? Does that mean that fear reduction is much more specific to the individual than the situation?

Finally, maybe we need you to provide a workable definition of fear. Are we ( am I) confusing fear with concern, anxiety, and neurosis.

Great thread. Thanks for your participation. I saw you speak at Rantoul and think you are a tremendous asset to the sport.

The specific precursors that bring about a fear response vary depending on our personal history. Ultimately, however, what brings about the fear response is less important than what we do with it.

Fear, if we were to create an operational definition, might be: "an emotional response to the world that has a predominately negative affective tone". "Emotion" in this case, is used to mean a physiological response to our cognition.

Although we may debate the specifics of the definition, it is unarguable that fear always has both a causal cognitive precursor, and a physiological component. The physical reaction to our thinking may or may not be effective in increasing our ability to respond to the world correctly. In higher magnitudes of fear reaction, our ability to respond thoughtfully diminishes dramatically. We know this.

The process that leads us up the scale of fear response may vary in the speed at which it takes hold, but the response is fairly stereotypical in nature. The speed with which the process escalates is the only variable, determining how much time we have to alter our response based on secondary cognitive appraisal.

All that being said, there are individuals who cultivate the skill of recognizing the emotional response early in the process. This comes as a result of an acute awareness of their arousal level at all times. When the balance starts to become upset, it is taken as an indication that an action must be taken to alter the conditions to improve safety.

The "action" can be to tie into a fixed anchor point on a climb, or to perform a equipment check. It may, however, be to engage in a relaxation ritual such as controlled breathing. Ultimately, the action is something that the individual is performing in order to achieve the goal of reducing the stress level, and returning to the status quo.

Individuals that have not cultivated this skill do not recognize that the arousal level has changed. They are generally so focused on the outside world that they neglect to turn their attention toward their emotional response to the situation. This is generally due to the mother of all fears: Fear Itself.

The experience of fear is negative. Most of humankind think of fear as something which, if avoided, will shrivel up and go away. This is generally not the case. Individuals that are highly skilled in dealing with their fear do the exact opposite. They address their fear directly. They first notice the emotional side of their response and know how to calm themselves down. Second, they form a clear model of the situation, and walk through the variables and create a path through the perceived danger.

It is this process that allows us to transcend fear. We all experience fear, but not all of us know how to work with it. The mystical thinking of avoidance seems to be the most dangerous methodology of all, as it turns the attention away from the solutions.

The Process of “De-Escalation”:

1) Continuous Awareness/Monitoring of the Arousal Level so that any escalation in the emotional tone will be quickly recognized. Te individual establishes an emotional benchmark to which the current state is compared. All cognitions and behaviors are directed toward the goal of defending the status quo of arousal level and emotional tone.
2) Specific Methods and Rituals for deliberately "De-escalating" the emotional response.
3) Cognitive screening in employed so that only the thoughts that are solution-based are entertained.
4) Physical Actions directed toward the goal of reducing the perceived risk of the situation.

In essence, it is our memory of what it feels like to be calm and safe that allows us to engage in high-risk activities without an uncontrolled escalation of emotions. Fear, then, is momentarily forgetting what it is to be calm and safe. We lose our ground, and we lose our balance. The more firmly our feet are planted on the ground when we step off of it, the calmer and more effective we will be once we step off into the space of the unknown.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Hey all!!!
Im new to this sport, I made my first tandem in june of this year...
Since then Ive had some interesting times with the sport, and have found myself stuck at the moment due to my fear....Ive tried many things to try to calm me down before exit..
Maybe I need to try harder...not sure...
I've dreamnt about this sport since I was 12, and Im now 19, and I cant dream not being a skydiver...So the answer to the question what do I do to control my fear? I guess I havent found the answer to it yet...

Hey all!!!
Im new to this sport, I made my first tandem in june of this year...
Since then Ive had some interesting times with the sport, and have found myself stuck at the moment due to my fear....Ive tried many things to try to calm me down before exit..
Maybe I need to try harder...not sure...
I've dreamnt about this sport since I was 12, and Im now 19, and I cant dream not being a skydiver...So the answer to the question what do I do to control my fear? I guess I havent found the answer to it yet...

There are many things you can do to work with your fear. The process described in my last post is a good start. It seems to be the truth.

Some other things that seem to make a big difference:
1) Increase your understanding of the situation. Learn everything you can. Rehearse your solutions. This will increase your perceived ability, which inevitably reduces your perceived risks.
2) Meditate. This makes a gigantic difference in your ability to notice where your thoughts are going, and nip negative ones in the bud. You can control your experience if you are aware of the subjective aspect of your experience.
3) Practice all kinds of challenges, beyond the specific situation that you are trying to diffuse. It is your relationship to the fear experience that you need to address as much as the specific nature of the skydiving experience. The more you steep yourself in experiences that scare you, the more you will become accustomed to who you are when the fear begins to unfold. Ultimately, it is how we relate to ourselves when we are afraid that matters most. Success is simply not turning away from the intensity.

Dive in, with your eyes open. Turning your back on fear is how it gets control over you. Fear is like a mushroom, it grows in the darkness of our minds. If we point the light of conscious awareness at it, our fear immediately begins to shrivel and die.

The most striking thing I've realized about fear is that it is a response to something that hasn't happened yet.

But wait, what if the scary thing is already happening right now? Even with things that *seem* to be current and happening in the moment, the fear isn't about what is happening, but what could or will happen. Reserve canopy opens with severe spinning linetwists? The fear is that you won't be able to clear it and you will hit hard and be injured or die. Skidding on an icy patch of highway? The fear is that you will not be able to gain control and you will go off the edge or hit something. Standing on a stage and singing to a crowd? The fear is that they will ridicule you. Stumbling on the edge of a 500 foot cliff and falling off, to your certain death? The fear is still about what has not happened yet -- it as about what is yet to happen when you hit.

It's really a good and useful thing to be able to imagine and picture what could or will happen in a situation :>) Definitely! If we didn't think about that, we wouldn't pull... But *living* something that has not yet happened, having an emotional reaction to it as if it is happening right now, is a different thing. That's cool when you're watching a movie and you want to take that fear ride. It's cool as an alert to a potential threat; a notice to do something. But it's not cool to live there. It obscures your clear view of what is actually happening. "How can you be two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?"

So the ultimate way to accept, embrace and abate fear is really just to stay in the moment, isn't it? I think that is what the tools and strategies discussed here are all about. And since "just staying in the moment" is so much easier to say than do, I know that I, for one, appreciate all the tools I can get!

Good thread.

Turning Away

Fear happens. We all have to deal with it. Unfortunately, most folks chose to avoid situations that provoke us in this manner. We choose the easy path through life so that we don't have to feel afraid.

Living free of the hindrance of fear is all about becoming comfortable with the initial experience of fear, and controlling our impulse to pull back. This comes from an inner belief that we have the ability to make the right decisions to get us through the danger. That ability is rooted in staying in the moment, and digging into the reality that we are presented with.

If we are afraid of being afraid, we will never truly live.
+

Hi, Guys!
I'm so glad that I've found this forum and thread. I am in AFF training, level VI. It seems that my first tandem, and first AFF jump were a piece of cake. I was excited and ready to jump! But as each jump progressed, it became harder and harder to exit. Each time I've pushed through my fears, but it has been tough! I, too, have been having that "Door Fear." I feel like my heart stops when it opens.

Last Sunday, I was to do a door dive (instead of a poised) and finally hit a wall. I was absolutely petrified, and couldn't pull myself together to jump at all. I was so panic stricken that I rode the plane down after 12 successful jumps. Unbelievable.

I have spent the last couple of days re-evaluating what went wrong mentally, and wondering if I still want to continue (only 2 more levels!). I've come to the conclusion that I badly want to be a skydiver. I love the feeling of accomplishment. But, it terrifies me to think of looking directly at the ground before I exit. :( What in the world is going on?? I'm so depressed and disappointed in myself right now, and feel so sad about feeling this fear. I feel like I am slowly plucking my own wings. Help...

Turning Away

[...]

Living free of the hindrance of fear is all about becoming comfortable with the initial experience of fear, and controlling our impulse to pull back.

You know, it's not just the initial experience of fear, either. I remember crossing a high, narrow suspension footbridge swaying hundereds of feet above a canyon below. I was afraid, yep. I stayed afraid every inch of the crossing. I crossed it by staring at the back of my friend 12 inches in front of me, planting one foot in front of the other, keeping a white-knuckled grip on the handrail. This seemed like just "toughing it through the fear," and as if it somehow was worth less than accepting and abating the fear.

But the experience made me more comfortable with not only facing the *initial* experience of the fear, but dancing to the extended mix as well... The racing heart and rapid breathing was fear; there it was, hello, all the way across. Every experience of spending time with fear helps reinforce that fear just IS, and is nothing to be afraid of. And the view from the other side was breathtaking.

This comes from an inner belief that we have the ability to make the right decisions to get us through the danger. That ability is rooted in staying in the moment, and digging into the reality that we are presented with.

Even/especially when that reality is fear.

My first response to that was "yes, I agree, well said." My next response was that I'd like it more if it had been said in first person singular, instead of sounding as if it was for all humankind... I get a little tired of this thing of people "knowing" what makes true "living" for others. People are so different with who and where they are in life, and what "living" is to them. People with "small" lives can be happy and fulfilled. People who live afraid of their fear can feel love, happiness -- they can work around it.

But then I thought, well, this IS a skydiving board...

It is probably pretty safe to make that statement if the "we" in it refers to people who have more than a passing interest in skydiving. So I'll cut you some slack... :>)

interesting to hear that even experienced sky divers are dealing with fear..

thats nice to know! :)
with only 7 jumps (6 static and 1 tandem) i find myself saying "what the hell am i doing" at some point on the way to altitude.. then as i see the alt i focus and on what im being tested on then do it.

I've also gone first out the door etc to get all the first time things that scare me out the way....

it's all part of the fun i guess, the important thing for me is focus when at alt takes the fear away.

comming up to my first 5 second delay this weekend... a whole new set of fears to deal with ;)

fear is an odd emotion...i find it VERY interesting that for the vast majority of skydivers the fear was not a factor on the 1st jump. or the second, or third. it varies from person to person, but it seems that everyone experiences a point in their jumping when they get pretty petrified for a period of jumps. for me it was at jump 20ish, still getting over it. i think its because i no longer have the tunnel vision. my last 10 jumps have been working on tracking. my last jump (32) i did a rear floater exit, watched the plane fly away, turned at the bottom of the hill and started tracking. i held the track for a while, then came out of it to look at my altitude - thought i would be at about 6 grand (i like to pull about 4 grand)...nope. 10 grand. the nrest of the jump i just watched the groundrush, glancing at my altimeter every thousand feet or so, and thinking "fuck that ground is coming up fast". weird feeling watching groundrush for 6000 feet.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I have spent the last couple of days re-evaluating what went wrong mentally, and wondering if I still want to continue (only 2 more levels!). I've come to the conclusion that I badly want to be a skydiver. I love the feeling of accomplishment. But, it terrifies me to think of looking directly at the ground before I exit. :( What in the world is going on?? I'm so depressed and disappointed in myself right now, and feel so sad about feeling this fear. I feel like I am slowly plucking my own wings. Help...

Heh - sounds like you were looking up at the plane like you're supposed to on the earlier jumps. I looked at the ground and of as a result we dove towards it harder until I got the arch going.

By L6 you've probably made a few mistakes, so the next leap of faith- diving exit, no one attached, intentional unstability - is scary. But it was a sweet jump for me, starting 4 seconds after the exit. After that I didn't mind looking down much at all during spotting.

Getting beyond fears of this sort can be dealt with by seperating the facts of the situation from what your perceptions of the situation are. I know when I had fears like the ones you mentioned while skydiving either driving to the DZ or leaving the ground in the plane, I go through my plan, my emergency procedures, check my handles, etc.

I have confidence in my ability and training and what I know and I block out what might happen. After all, what might happen is just a fairy tell you've created in your mind. It's not real yet it's running your life.

If someone close to you gets hurt or worse the fairy tale involving you is much easier to believe, but it's still just a fairy tale. Continue to train as if the worst could happen, but overcome the natural tendancy to live your life as if it will happen.

The more you jump and the more you learn the easier it will become.

FEAR.....False Evidence Appearing Real

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
Franklin D Roosevelt.

In 1987 I made my first jump (tandem)- after landing I was in shock, smiling but quiet. It took me days to realize “what I had experienced.” Slowly, the jump came back to me in stages. The freefall was incredible, the opening was awesome- loved the canopy ride and landing- but the first few seconds??:o
I was constantly trying to recall why I didn’t like the first few seconds, why couldn’t I remember them?? (panic and fear?) I thought about returning for first jump course (static line) for months- if I could just get over that first few seconds…

I had recurring dreams for years where I was ensuing danger and instead of reacting- I froze in panic, waking up terrified. I worried if jump training would be enough to prepare me to cope in emergency situations. In order to survive I would have to count on all my skills and the presence of mind needed to execute them. I thought I would take the training and then decide if ultimately, absolutely, I could believe in myself and my abilities-enough to actually make the jump. Then I would digress as I figured unless I had actually been in a “life saving” situation, there would be no way to predict how I would react. I would like to think that I would respond automatically with instinctual reaction…
:P:P

I started reading about terror immobilization, or the freeze syndrome where if action is not engaged and panic sets in, energy is utilized negatively. Your positive body accelerator is action. When you act, ie. confront your fear, adrenalin is utilized positively, adding vigor to your response. I learned your negative body accelerator is panic, caused when the reasoning process mistakes adrenaline for fear. Adrenaline is utilized negatively, leaving the recipient drained of energy and often frozen in the face of ensuing danger. A fast release occurs when anticipation is not present, or a situation escalates unexpectedly fast, causing adrenal dump, this feeling is often so intense that the recipient freezes in the face of confrontation, the reasoning process mistaking it for sheer terror. This the most devastating of the three.

So- the tandem experience was overwhelming enough that I did take my first jump training. I was terrified through out- the class was trained like “in the army now.” Reserve on the belly, army boots, emergency procedures, plf, “arch thousand” drilled and drilled, left foot up, “ready”, left hand, left foot, right hand- “go”… I practiced and practiced and made it through my first static line jumps- TRCP jumps- 5 sec. 10 sec. and 15 sec. delays—30 jumps under a PC. I feel this is the training I needed, progressing at my own speed and confidence.
I had stages of “fear” --door opening- getting outside the aircraft- leaving the aircraft- looking up at the aircraft after leaving and realizing “holy shit- I am out here..”

My biggest “fear” is to panic in a emergency situation -and my brain not being able access required information. I feel that it is this “fear” that has driven me through my 1,300 jumps- because I have this “fear” I practice and practice- embedding the chain of actions for emergency procedures more deeply in my brain, increasing automation. I utilize opportunities such as just after opening, (after clearing sky around me) when my arms are up with hands ready to grab my risers (before releasing toggles)…I visualize a malfunction, and practice my emergency procedures. I take time in freefall to look, reach, and hold on to my handles. I feel the state of excitation at the time of practicing emergency procedures plays an important part in retrieving the stored information. In such a situation, rated “extremely dangerous” in the initial interpretation, only the highest memory locations are available in your brain. Re: in a state of excitation accompanied by increased cerebral activities it is not possible to retrieve specific knowledge which has been gathered and stored in a relaxed state.

:P:P:P- never had those dreams again after I started skydiving- and built my confidence level.

Thanks all for this great thread to read- as I am most interested in "fear." It intrigues me also that the closest I've been to death (motorcycle accident), I can recall so vividly- just close my eyes and the experience comes back completely but very slow motion and clearer than when it actually happened.

SMiles;)

it varies from person to person, but it seems that everyone experiences a point in their jumping when they get pretty petrified for a period of jumps.

I think it depends on your past experiences. I think that the reason I had no fear of this activity as a whole was that i'd already experienced something that (to me) was scarier. "Skycoaster" was a ride at Grand Prix down here and they basically put you in a harness, bring you up 300 or so feet, and then you stare at the ground in the harness and pull your own ripcord which releases you (but you swing instead of bungee). I assume the same fear could be experienced with base jumping if you look down, because you're much closer to the ground (and worse, there's no cord). But, at 3000 feet or above, i've had no problems likely due to experiencing that ride 3 times over a couple years.

I was pretty scared of hitting the tail of the plane for a while, though... and, diving exits freaked me out a bit to begin with on student status (not sure why). I also used to have a fear i'd fall out before the group if I had to take a spot on the outside of the plane, but i've gotten through all of these, you have to face your fears in order to get over them.
:)-A