AEsco48

Call it a day after a cut away?

I borrow a spare rig from my team mates or my TI and go out to film my next tandem while the riggers repack my reserve.

In fact last weekend i had a near cutaway after a tandem camera jump. I was well above my hard deck and had altitude on my side so i chose to fight rather than chop because i had more work jumps that afternoon.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Choice? No...I'd get back on the horse that kicked me.

Reality? Yes...I have issues with borrowing rigs or jumping student rigs.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I saw a guy on his 3rd AFF jump coming down on his reserve Saturday. His face was a picture but all the people congratulated him and he was back up in the air same day i believe.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Choice? No...I'd get back on the horse that kicked me.

Reality? Yes...I have issues with borrowing rigs or jumping student rigs.

What he said. I'm not going to do a "don't get spooked" jump on gear that I'm not perfectly comfortable with. Doesn't mean borrowed gear can't fit that bill, but sometimes it's just not available.

Edit to add: also probably depends on the circumstances of the cutaway. Mine was a wake-up call to me that additional EP review is probably called for. Getting right back in the air would have been ill-advised.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Depends on a lot of things.

1-Do I need to go walking through the woods to find my stuff, or did it all land in the open? I just might have to spend the rest of my day hiking in the trees.

2- Was is a tandem cutaway? Well, heck, I've still got rigs to jump.

3- Are there some hot loads I still want to make? I'm pretty average size, so there's always a rig I can borrow. Since all the handles tend to be in the same place, I don't feel it's a big deal.

4- Is it late in the day and I have some cold beers and maybe a couple of steaks in the fridge at home? See ya. :D

Most times I just grab another rig and keep moving.

That is provided I have people looking and collecting my gear.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

On my malfunctions, I've always been hooped for another jump the same day so it doesn't make any differance to me anymore.

I did, however, get back in the air right after I struck a canopy in freefall. That was waaaaaay more freaky.

One thing I would not recomend, however, is not "getting back in the air" after an accident if you post tramatic stress. A friend of mine rendered CPR on a jumper who was later pronounced dead. The next day, her friends dragged her up on a jump. She spent the jump having flash backs of the accident and completely lost awareness. It was a dangerous scenario.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

1-Do I need to go walking through the woods to find my stuff, or did it all land in the open? I just might have to spend the rest of my day hiking in the trees.

I'm pretty average size, so there's always a rig I can borrow. Since all the handles tend to be in the same place, I don't feel it's a big deal.

Also depends on how banged up you might be. I haven't had a cutaway since the old days, but on one of them I banged up my shoulder rather badly and jumping again that weekend would not have been a good idea.

I'm not average size either, so finding a rig I can wear can be a problem. Most people can't wear my rig either, my legstraps hang down to the average guy's knees. But once after chopping a streamer, a good friend loaned me his rig and it fit, so I was able to get back in the air just an hour or two later. Making that jump really helped settle my nerves a lot.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Also depends on how banged up you might be. I haven't had a cutaway since the old days, but on one of them I banged up my shoulder rather badly and jumping again that weekend would not have been a good idea.

I pulled a front mount flat reserve at terminal one day. That was it for the weekend.:S:(

I pulled a front mount flat reserve at terminal one day. That was it for the weekend.:S:(

You just described my first-ever reserve ride. I definitely wanted to "get back on the horse", but my thighs and nuts were purple; and my neck wasn't feeling too good, either. I could hardly walk, much less jump, so the decision was pretty much made for me.

Having said all that, I am a believer that if it's feasible to get at least one more in that day, it's good for the psyche to do so.

My first cut away I did not find the main canopy and I could not use my spare one so I called a day, my second one everything landed in the airport 2 hrs later I was jumping, waste of two hours!
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

My 1st chop was on jump 18, i did another jump later that day with an instructor (a B rel jump). If I had gone home having not jumped, I most likely would not have returned.

(thanks Thomo:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My first cutaway was on a back to back tandem load. So I landed, dropped the rig and was handed a fresh rig while moving quickly to the soon to be waiting plane. Infact, I've jumped the same day atleast once after each one of my 4 chops. I couldn't imagine not jumping anymore in the day. It just doesn't make since, unless its sunset load or you can't find your stuff.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had a cutaway on jump 19. Very scary. I passed 3000 ft. going 178 mph and managed to get a hold of my reserve handle just under 2000 ft. I was a little freaked out once I got on the ground. My instructor and the DZO spent the better part of an hour talking the incident through and advised me to get in another jump to prevent my fear from escalating. Decided I would, but then the weather crapped out. I went home, and I'm pretty sure they thought they'd never see me again, but I went back the next weekend and got a couple of good jumps in. Just recently earned my A license. Glad I stuck it out. It was definately worth it.

I was using one of their student rigs. The people at my DZ are great and always seem to have safety as their top priority. I certainly didn't get the sense that they were doing anything but looking out for my best interest. They talked to me for a long time because they wanted to make sure that I had my questions answered and that I was O.K. I had a great stand up landing on my reserve but I was pretty shaken up. They knew that I had a pretty scary experience for a new jumper, but also wanted me to realize that my emergency procedures had worked and that practicing them before every jump is what helped everything turn out O.K.

I earned my license over the course of 11 months and have waited out a lot of rainy weekends here in the NW to see it through. I think they just didn't want to see me give up on something I've worked hard for after one bad experience. I'm sure they would have charged me for the second jump and I wouldn't have expected anything else.

I had back to back malfuntions on the same day. They were the first two loads of the day and I think I made 3 more jumps on borrowed gear.

If it happened now I would probably quit jumping for the day, repack my reserves and drink beer.

Your attitude changes with age.