Tonto

The Warning label

After reading some of the posts in the incident forum over the past week, I'm stunned at how many skydivers simply do not believe what the possible consequences of jumping from an aircraft can be.

A generic warning lable says something like this...

1. Sport parachuting is a hazardous activity that can result in serious injury or death.

2. Parachute systems sometimes malfunction even when they are properly designed, built, assembled, packed, maintained and used. The result of such malfunctions are sometimes serious injury or death.

3. If you use this parachute, or you let somebody else use it, you are acnowledging that sport parachuting is risky and accepting the fact that the parachute system or it's components may malfunction.

4. If you are not willing to accept the risk of sport parachuting or if you are not willing to accept the possibility that your parachute system or it's components may malfunction and perhaps result in you being injured or killed, then you should reconsider your involvement in sport parachuting.

5. Have a nice day!

Does it sound familiar? Do you understand what it means?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Good food for thought there T.

Perhaps all the banter about how “safe” skydiving coupled with the rare opportunity to witness first hand the violent accidents that happen from time to time create barriers that build the walls of complacency.

I will never forget seeing someone make a huge mistake and slam into the ground after their canopy, the huge divot, the blood seeping out of every orifice, shit and piss in their pants and the sound of gurgling as they choke on their own blood struggling to take one more breath - seeing the hurt family and fatherless children at the funeral, it was all a harsh thing to witness but the positive aspect for me was it certainly gave me reason to learn and practice more, to become more teachable, to strive to be the best instructor I can be and to appreciate how violent and nasty accidents can be in this sport.

Still, what a fantastic activity skydiving is, eh?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Good posts , both of you. AFFI's at first read seems to be on the harsh side BUT it's the cold reality of skydiving. Tonto has described these types of scenes to me before and i hope to God i never have to see it myself.

That being said, i've lost friends to this sport and been injured. I know and understand the risk involved. I used to use the bad driving analogy when telling my parents how safe this sport is. But as i write this i realise i need to call them tonight and make them aware that one day it might not be me calling from an ambulance to tell them i've broken a leg but a friend or girlfriend calling to let them know i'm dead.

We are made of flesh and bone, and like you've said to me before t, the ground is hard and it doesn't care. The risk vs reward in this sport is VERY real.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Still, what a fantastic activity skydiving is, eh?

Yup. That's why I added point 5! ;) There is balance in all things. Skydiving shines so brightly because it's dark side is so horribly dark.

There is no one without the other.

t

A generic warning lable says something like this...

Does it sound familiar? Do you understand what it means?

One problem is that, at least here, you will read similar language on any commercially run activity where you might get a bruise or worse. It really does deaden the impact of the words when you have to sign off on it for a triathlon (on a flat bike course), or even just a simple running race.

I guess I haven't see it at the bowling alley, but that may be the only exception.

A bit like "The boy that cried wolf?"

"This term comes from the tale about a young shepherd watching his flock who, lonely and fearful, called for help by shouting “Wolf!” After people came to his aid several times and saw no wolf, they ignored his cries when a wolf actually attacked his sheep. The tale appeared in a translation of Aesop's fables by Roger L'Estrange (1692), and the expression has been applied to any false alarm since the mid-1800s. - www.answers.com

Doesn't mean "wolves" are not dangerous or that they don't exist.

t

I guess I haven't see it at the bowling alley, but that may be the only exception.

I did see "bowl at your own risk" on the wall at a bowling alley. I was on the floor laughing.

The funny thing is I bowled a bunch of rounds and the next morning the shin on my forward foot was all sore, and hurt while I was skydiving. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've seen them and read them on my own canopies and many others when I was a packer but always took them to be more to cover the manufacturers in the event of someone screwing up and trying to take legal action.

I don't think a label on the tail of a canopy will or could ever replace good training and awareness of the sport.

If anything on any of the labels I read was a surprise to me I'd question my training and understanding of the sport.
------------------------------------------------
We're a' just machines for makin' shite.

I read a warning lable on a helmet on the way to altitude that said "This helmet is not designed to protect your head from injury". So why call it a helmet, just call it a hard hat:ph34r:.

Cuz Hart Hats are designed to protect the noggin.

Guess we could just call'em "overpriced'.

Yep. I learned it some time ago. Up until that point I did my best (with varying success) to ignore it. Human nature, an almost instinctual aversion to thinking about the bad stuff.

The recent deaths of much loved members of the DZ.com community has, I think, forcibly driven the truths behind the warnings home to a lot of people. Abstractly, intellectually knowing something is different from knowing something with the heart and outwards. That there are absolutely no guarantees you'll be able to see the person next to you in the plane smile again after the jump.

Perhaps it is a loss of innocence, replaced by a sometimes hard reality. It may be grim, but it is true. And the contrast between the extreme joy and extreme grief skydiving can bring is probably more visible for people who've been active in the sport for a long time or have experienced the negative aspects of the sport.

The way I figure it, if you have to read a warning label to realize that you are liable to be anywhere from badly maimed to deader than hell if things don't work out on any given jump, you are likely too dumb for the contents of the label to make much of a difference. I am, however, a big fan of reminders of the things I already know that can keep me alive for a while longer, since I tend to lose track of them if they are not brought to my attention upon occasion.

My favorite warning label is from a BASE rig, and says essentially that you have to be crazy to use this equipment for the purpose for which it was intended, and to have a nice day. I'll post a copy of it if I can find it.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I get a kick out of warning labels on small rigs and high performance main parachutes that say the user should have completed a program of instruction in using the equipment OR have 100 jumps and read the instruction manual. I'm surprised that I've yet to hear of a lawsuit stemming from such a label making the equipment sound too safe.

I also like the original Birdman warning label that says you shouldn't land the suit.

I get a kick out of warning labels on small rigs and high performance main parachutes that say the user should have completed a program of instruction in using the equipment OR have 100 jumps and read the instruction manual. I'm surprised that I've yet to hear of a lawsuit stemming from such a label making the equipment sound too safe.

I also like the original Birdman warning label that says you shouldn't land the suit.

IIRC, my big Silhouette 230 has the 100-jump warning label on it. :P

Still does. Of course it also says 'Jump High. Jump Low. Take Risks.':P

I may be wrong but I 'think' the warning lable on my Sabre says I shouldn't attempt to pack it without instruction from a master rigger or from PD.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Warning labels are for covering asses. Instructional courses are for learning about safety. They don't put warning labels on reserves to warn owners that reserves can fail. They put them there so they can tell juries that they warned owners that reserves can fail. People are too busy thinking "oooh, pretty white" to read the warning label on the top of their reserve when they see it for the first time. What good does the warning label on a tandem student harness do other than cover an ass (or a back really)? Wouldn't that spot be better used for something like instructions on proper harness adjustment or a big sign that says "did you remember your altimeter and goggles?" How about the warning label on many sport rigs? Why not put a gear check checklist there instead?

Dave

My airplane has a placard in the cockpit that says not to fly it unless you've read the instructions and know how to fly.

The labels are there for two categories of people: morons, and defense attorneys.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

you missed the best bit of a Birdman Warning Label

Usee of this equipment is highly addictive and may cause high levels of endorphines that can affect your judgement and your personal life :D:D
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

IN reply to " Still what a fantastic activity skydiving is, eh?

Couldn't agreee more.:)
Being able to do it at all is a privilege.

Being able to do it with calm patient humility and respect for life amoungst the rush is what makes this dangerous pasttime possible and mostly enjoyable.

A past team member used to help keep us on our toes by saying just before most dives that " This could be the big one."

I've never proved him wrong.B|