honda

FEAR FACTOR

Hello, Here Bernie, I have a question related to skydiving. I already contact some people but like to know your opinion in general. Here is my question. Is the static line, in terms of fear, more difficult to handle than AFF, on the way to the freefall license. With other words is s/l more uncomfortable than AFF to become a full skilled skydiver? Thanks for your remarks. I ask that particular question for my daughter who wants to become a skydiver.[email];)

I was never uncomfortable in static line progression. You are equiped with all of the knowledge you need to be safe and have fun. I am sure the same is true for AFF although I can tell you I would have been alot more uneasy going to 12k on my first jump than I was going to 4k. I think being up there for several jumps and then progressing to the higher altitude slowly is what kept me calm.

Greenie in training.

Hi Bernie, Fear factor for who ; you or your daughter?

She will have to complete at least 25 jumps and demonstrate basic skills to become a licenced skydiver. Is she comfortable with that... ?

BTW, I know of no, "full skilled" skydivers, however many of the best started static line years ago when thats all there was...
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

without having done AFF, i'm sure theres about an equal amount of fear in both of them. which is to say a lot of fear :P

one thing i notice is with AFF though, students usually have a large fear of leaving the plane at less then 5k... static line students usually don't have that fear.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I've been told that the "Fear Factor" is often the same for someone learning through S/L as it is for someone learning through AFF...

They are merely reversed... As an AFF graduate I have conserns about getting out of the aircraft at low altitude (such as a Hop & Pop) but I'm told that many S/L graduates are aphrensive about going up to High higher altitudes associated w/normal free fall...

many people that I have talked to considering getting into the sport express the most interest in some sort of Tandum Progression... (something about not wanting to take the plung out of the door on they're own...) the disadvantage to this method of progression is that there is sometimes a bit more larger learning curve when the student crosses over to the AFF portion of the training...

My personal experince was that I was trained well enough before exiting the aircraft that I wasn't afraid and was able to fully enjoy my first jump.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

When I was 17, I did static line. I did 3 jumps and each one scared the shit out of me more than the last. I didn't like the idea of being so low to the ground in general and maybe having to deal with a mal (our SL was at 3000-3500 ft AGL. Suffice to say, it scared me so bad I quit jumping for 12 years until I discovered there was AFF. AFF was scary too, but nowhere near the absolute panic I felt during SL. Thats my experience, and I'm sure everyone's is different, but if it wasn't for AFF, I wouldn't be jumping right now.
BTW- I still hate hop-n-pops to this day because of my SL experience.

I've done both. When I was 20, I did the static line course. AFF was brand spankin new at that time and only a few people did it because of the cost. I got to a 10 second delay and found out I was pregnant so I stopped. 21 years later when some friends wanted to go do a tandem, it hooked me again, so I went back and did AFF. BOTH scared the shit out of me, but I will have to say that AFF was worse as far as fear goes until after Catagory D. That's when I truly learned that I had much more confidence in myself and could completely trust my Instructor, and it became much more fun. At the end of that dive, I was to do my first back loop. I worked up the nerve, did it, ended up on my back and did a half barrel roll to get back on my belly. The second I rolled over, there he was in my face, ready to help me if I couldn't get back over with a big grin on his face giving me the thumbs up that I had gotten back over by myself. I couldn't help but smile back and think, "there he is, my guardian angel." The point being, these people do know what they're doing and they are there to help you if you get into trouble. The Hop N Pop was, of course, nerve racking because it was the first time I left the aircraft totally alone, but I had had no trouble with stability on exits so that part wasn't a concern. In conclusion, I believe that AFF is a much more efficient way to learn quickly, and in my thinking, doing something like this, I want to be as good as possible, as quickly as possible. Ya know what I mean? That's my two cents. Good Luck and have FUN!!

Different people are comfortable with different levels of stress.

In order from least stress to most stress:

wind tunnel

tandem

static-line

AFF

If you want to minimize stress, start with a tandem - to get you over that first psychological hurdle - then do a few static-line jumps to learn how to steer the parachute, then complete your training with AFF instructors.

The concept of combining the best of all methods reduces stress also breaks down learning into small, easily digested blocks of new information.

Did both, but it's hard to say since my level 1 AFF wasn't a "first jump" and my level 1 SL jump was.

Personally I was afraid of failure more than anything else and I think AFF has more going on that you can fail on.

Did both, but it's hard to say since my level 1 AFF wasn't a "first jump" and my level 1 SL jump was.

Personally I was afraid of failure more than anything else and I think AFF has more going on that you can fail on.

AFF1 is hard to fail though - I think the only requirement is to pull and land. But the next jump is a doozy in comparison.

While I'm only slightly nervous with the upcoming hop n pop, I think S/L would have been more stressful because of the alone factor. Having two guys flag you on the first 3-4 jumps, and another the rest of the time, is a big reassurance. And the altitude gives you a lot of time to get stable after the exit. I might have blown more than a few s/l because of an inability to get the right position. (Or perhaps I would have had more impetence to get it fixed?)

Having all the answers is very educating. I still wounder if it is not the beginning freefall that is most difficult to handle, in other words the beginning delays and once you're sure you master the stable position you get a boost of confidence. Same reply for AFF the first free exit, without holding any grips, and once you gain confidence whah..
I am still avid of other opinions in this "Fear Factor Post"

Lori,
We currently are living in belgium. Btw I forgot to log in my profile (was trained static in 75 with 20 jumps no freefall not even PRCP you needed the same instructor on each load what was difficult at the time, continue skydiving with AFF in 94 in empuria brava) but did not continue the sport. And with even that training I don't know what to advise to my daughter.
Bernie;)

Different people are comfortable with different levels of stress.

In order from least stress to most stress:

wind tunnel

tandem

static-line

AFF

Having just done my first training jumps to be a TI, I would like to modify your list; In order from least stress to most stress:
- wind tunnel
- tandem
- static-line
- AFF
- Training for TI rating;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I started off doing 10 static line jumps. I had no problem with it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the limited amount of freefall fun. Which is why I switched to AFF for my adrenaline fix. I wouldn't mind doing the static line, if I were patient enough. I was too impatient to get signed off student status so I went with the faster method, AFF. I think both disciplines are great. She may learn faster with AFF. It's all relative my friend. The only thing is how much money she's willing to dish out to get signed off student status? I personally say she should go with AFF. It's a faster learning curve and she'll love the full altitude drop. It's a new method, well not new so to speak but newer than static line, and yes newer is better and more effective. At least in this case, in my opinion.

How many hits of adrenaline can you take?

Have you asked your daughter what she would rather do? I did AFF, but if someone had told me that I would have to hang from a strut of a C-182 on my first skydive, I would have never set foot on the DZ. Lots to be afraid of with AFF (e.g., the door) but I definitely had a leg up on my SL friends when it came to freefall, but they were better at minor things like landing. (joke) Probably a toss up unless she has a preference.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Hi

Fully skilled skydivers!!! Where are they? Even jumpers with 14,000 (yes fourteen thousand) jumps are still 'learning all the time'. In a diverse sport like skydiving there is so much to learn you could spend a lifetime and still learn something new on your last ever jump.

The sport does not suit everybody and each method (AFF, SL or Tandem) has different 'FEAR FACTORS'.

I personally never had any fear of getting out of the aircraft, the ride up to altitude was a different matter. I was terrified of falling out.

Whether you daughter chooses AFF or S/L she will not qualify for her CAT8 in less than 18 jumps.

If money is no object then AFF is the fast track way but if money is short then S/L may be a better option, she can then subsidize her jumping costs by learning to pack as she progresses through the training.

It is best getting into the sport young, taking it SAFE & steady. That way she can walk away form it when the time suits her.

Blue Skies B|

Get out, Land on a green bit. If you get the pull somewhere in between it would help.

i guess it's an individual feeling, but my problem was with look at OTHER people going out of the plane in my first +-20 jumps, though i hadn't any problem to get out myself. i did AFF, and i think the good thing in AFF is that you'r not alone in the sky on those weirdy first times. you'r with the instructors.
you open your canopy after being in contact with them for the whole (long!) part of the falling. i think it's easier. and as someone wrote here before - why not to try a tandem before? - i know that at my homeDZ they started now with tandem as PAC1...

good luck, let her think about it, and no matter what you choose - stay safe and have fun!

blue sky,
Ori.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

I did a couple of S/L jumps in Idaho in 1974. Fun but scared the shit out of me. Then got too involved in education, career and family and never jumped again until 2002 when I did two tandems and moved immediately into AFF. It was scary, but oh so damn cool and fun. I have 120 jumps now. On my first S/L in 1974 I started kicking upon exit, flipped on my back and felt the pilot chute hit the back of my head, but everything else worked fine. In AFF I felt a degree of comfort and confidence having instructors/instructor there to assist. My first exit was solid and stable. Being belly down came quickly and somewhat effortlessly. Learning heading control and relaxing took longer. AFF Rocks in my book.

My vote is for AFF. I think the progression rate is much quicker, more exhilarating, builds confidence quicker. My DZO with over 9500 jumps and experienced it all is adamant that AFF produces an overall better skydiver. I know, his opinion among many, but I place a fairly high value in his opinion.
One of the surest signs that intelligent life exists in outer space is that none of it has tried to contact us.

I had great AFF instructors, Bram Clemmen and Elle Oldham, two highly regarded skydivers. I felt their confidence and felt no fear what so ever. I believe that how you feel about your instructor has alot to do with your own feelings. If you do not feel great about your instructor then your own level of confidence may falter leaving doubt. It is your money and your life, go for the best. (in no way am I implying that there are bad AFF instructors as the people who certify them would not do so if they felt they could not handle a situation. I am saying though, choose an instructor who you feel comfortable with. If you are older you may feel more at ease with an instructor in your age range and vice versa)
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I also have done both AFF and S/L. Personally, I'm finding static to be a real confidence booster.

You know that you're gonna be ok, and getting out the door with a line attached takes some of the anxiety away...PLUS there usually just one task that needs to be accomplished each jump. AFF seemed to me, much more high pressure with sometimes multiple tasks required during each jump while in freefall.

I'm having lots of break thrus while in S/L progression...And NOW find that FEAR IS NOT (so much!) of A FASCTOR FOR ME anymore!