fmmobley

13 week layoff - Repack Main?

I will be jumping next weekend, coming off a lay off due to an injury. When I jump next weekend, the rig will have hung on pegs in a climate controlled room for thirteen weeks. Should I repack my Triathlon 190 canopy or should it open fine?

Opinions?
... Marion

I will be jumping next weekend, coming off a lay off due to an injury. When I jump next weekend, the rig will have hung on pegs in a climate controlled room for thirteen weeks. Should I repack my Triathlon 190 canopy or should it open fine?

Opinions?

If it were a BASE jump I'd say hell yes. A skydive, though? Don't bother!

Walt

>Should I repack my Triathlon 190 canopy or should it open fine?

Sitting in a container for 13 weeks will not harm the canopy or significantly affect its opening, provided it's been stored in a safe area (dry, dark, not very hot etc.) George Galloway has let canopies sit in containers for years and jumped them; no problems.

Marion, given the time frame and how you've stored it, what these guys are saying is yes, technically it shouldn't be a problem jumping it without a re-pack. And knowing the technical aspects is a good thing.

Guys, we're talking to a low-time jumper here and peace-of-mind is a very important issue (can you remember back when YOU had these concerns?)...and it's well worth the time and effort of a simple re-pack in this case.

Marion, for the peace-of-mind concern you express...well, whatever.

I'm sorry I won't be there to witness your return to the sky. Good luck, my man. I'm just surprised that you came here for answers when Joe B. and Gary S. are available to you. They know you best.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For what it's worth:

Sec. 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems....

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use by a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Guys, we're talking to a low-time jumper here and peace-of-mind is a very important issue (can you remember back when YOU had these concerns?)...and it's well worth the time and effort of a simple re-pack in this case.

Totally agree with your point, but...

I have been in the very same position (years back), I was just about to pull my main out of my container on the packing room floor when I was stopped by my rigger and he strongly advised I (made me) jump it like it was - as good as an opening could get!

The peace of mind came from jumping the pack job. It helped build trust in my gear, trust in the reliability of the equipment. If it would have malfunctioned, then I would have dealt with it and maybe that would have put a dent in my trust, or perhaps reinforced trust in the gear even more.

Roll the dice!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

>peace-of-mind is a very important issue . . .

Sure, if it makes him feel better, do it. However, if his last pack job came after a day of jumping (and packing) and the alternative is to unpack it and repack it while less current - it might behoove him to stick with the packjob he did while he was more current.

Either way it's not that important in terms of safety. Whatever makes him feel better.

I will definatley run it by the riggers at my DZ. My asking the question in this forum in no way indicates any lack of respect for their opinions. DZ.com is a great vehicle for throwing the question out there to the whole skydiving community and getting a lot of opinions quickly.
... Marion

...The peace of mind came from jumping the pack job. It helped build trust...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Well said. Last year I jumped my old Strato Cloud after it had been packed for nearly nine months. I jumped it again this past weekend, after it had been packed for more than three months.

It's not unusual to jump my Triathalon after it had been packed for more than a few weeks. It's always worked just fine. Pull a little high (just to give it some extra time, of course) but be prepared for a long ride.B|

Cheers,
Jon S.

It's not just packing and safety when you're not current... I came back to jump after a nine-month layoff and repacked my main when I got to the DZ late that afternoon (already'd had the reserve repacked). I'd only put about 10 jumps/pack jobs (if that) on that brand-new Spectre canopy, and had jumped/packed F-111 up until then.

HA!

I had some ambivalence/butterflies about jumping again after such a long layoff anyway (okay I was nervous like a first jump student) and wrestling with that slippery ZP for hours getting sweaty and sore and achey and frustrated didn't help -- by the time I finished, it was close to sunset, I was exhausted, and I didn't even jump.

When I'm ready to go jump again, I will repack it a day or two before I go to the dz.

I actually enjoyed getting familiar with the canopy again before I [would have] jumped it-- all the steps of packing EXCEPT putting it in the bag. It was also amazing to see it drop out of the bag onto the floor as a hard ball of nylon all stuck to itself -- I'm sure it "would have opened" as everyone told me but it made me feel better to get it looking like a normal canopy again. The peace of mind thing.

George Galloway has let canopies sit in containers for years and jumped them; no problems.

The only problem would be that the FAR's state that a main has to be packed with 120 days just like a reserve!!

From FAR 105.43

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

>The only problem would be that the FAR's state that a main has to
>be packed with 120 days just like a reserve!!

No arguments there. I'm just saying it's not a significant safety issue - although as you point out there is a legal issue as well.

BTW have you ever heard of the 120 day repack rule on mains being enforced? I don't even know how you would enforce such a thing.

>The only problem would be that the FAR's state that a main has to
>be packed with 120 days just like a reserve!!

No arguments there. I'm just saying it's not a significant safety issue - although as you point out there is a legal issue as well.

BTW have you ever heard of the 120 day repack rule on mains being enforced? I don't even know how you would enforce such a thing.

The Main Police

> Should I repack

I usually repack if I've been out for a while,
but it's mostly to get my brain back in gear,
and maybe a little peace of mind that it's all
still there (the chute I mean) (well maybe
my mind too :-) :-)

The nylon and the air still remember how
to work. The military and others have left
chutes packed for months and even years,
crushed under weights, even soaked in water,
and they open just fine.