flygirl719

100th Jump into the "Darkside?"

It will be exactly three months from the day I started AFF when I make my 100th jump on July 1st! I'm stoked and feel like I'm on track as far as progression is concerned and I think my instructor does too... (I've mainly focusing on RW, but just started to work some FF positioning over the last couple of weeks.) FUN! FUN! FUN!

So here's the question... what's up with all this talk about crossing over to the "darkside?" :S I mean, I've always been one to hang out over there in real life, so isn't it natural for me to desire flying there as well?

Also, I nailed hanging from a 3-way hybrid ONCE, but is it over-zealous of me to want to hang from an even bigger one (so I can include as many bad-asses as possible that helped me get here B|) for my 100th?

When numbers going up on a skydive so do the risk factors. If you will be hanging from something larger then what is being launched then you better be able to stay in the position after you swing under. You do not want to cork as someone is coming in to dock and cork into them. If you have only nailed it once, Id probally say do it a few more time before trying to do it on a big hybrid.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

what's up with all this talk about crossing over to the "darkside?"

Because CrW is a lot of fun.

But don't worry, you can do any of the freefall disciplines and still open high for some good "darkside" fun - like downplanes and the like.

Just be careful, the older CrW rigs aren't always maintained as FF friendly. and some aren't very RW friendly either for that matter.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Although I've been on night "bandit" CRW jumps, are there night bandit free fly jumps now?

And for thirty plus years I always thought "BASE" was the darkside?

If there is a darkside to skydiving - it's the fleecing of the general public with tandems . . . and in the process, the fact, we lost our souls . . . that's pretty "dark-sideish."

NickD :)BASE 194

Id probally say do it a few more time before trying to do it on a big hybrid.

Good call... Might as well do somthing I've been practicing, like getting my TRACK ON, so I have a lesser chance of fucking up my special jump.

CRW is the darkside and freeflying is not

I was referring to FF, but CRW seems pretty freaking scary to me!!! Why mess with a perfectly good canopy!?!? :P

. . . and in the process, the fact, we lost our souls . . . that's pretty "dark-sideish."

That's pretty intense Nick[:/]

If there is a darkside to skydiving - it's the fleecing of the general public with tandems . . . and in the process, the fact, we lost our souls . . . that's pretty "dark-sideish."

Have I told you lately that I love you, Nick?

100 in three months?
Obsessive-compulsive much?

Hmm... I always want MORE of the stuff I like whether it's good or bad for me:
-Beer/Booze/Wine
-Sex/Drugs/Rock-n-Roll
-etc... BUT I've never wanted anything more than SKYDIVING!

My Dad, who flipped out during my AFF phase and just saw me for the first time this year -looked at me and said, "skydiving agrees with you Kim." So, it must be a good thing and if that's what OCD does for me, then I'm going to keep doing it! :P

Hope the weather permits for your 100th! Congrat's!

CRW seems pretty freaking scary to me!!! Why mess with a perfectly good canopy!?!? :P

That's why you should avoid it at all costs...

Kevin

nothign like linking up elliptical HP cnapies

It's certainly an interesting concept. Have you been able to do anything other than center docks ? I'd love to see a diamond or some other offset formation built with HP ellips.

The Canopy Formation competition at the Nationals was changed to add a 2-way event to encourage high-performance canopy pilots to enter and show their expertise. After talking quite a bit about said expertise, sadly none entered the competition. It seems that flying within sight of each other and kicking an occasional pilot chute was what they considered "CRW".

Kevin

I was referring to FF, but CRW seems pretty freaking scary to me!!! Why mess with a perfectly good canopy!?!?
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

I was referring to FF, but CRW seems pretty freaking scary to me!!! Why mess with a perfectly good canopy!?!?

Because the skills that come with CRW expertise can save your life.

You think "swoopers" are ace canopy pilots? Compared to your average CRW dog, they're hacks. When was the last time you heard of a CRW dog dying under a perfectly good open canopy?

If you spend some time under the tutelage of someone skilled in CRW during your first 100 jumps, it can help you stay alive after you have gold wings.

Freeflying teaches to fly head-down. CRW teaches you to fly heads-up. Do yourself a favor and learn the basics of intentional entanglements.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Freeflying: darkside
CRW: even darker side

oooooh, that's really gonna hurt the newbie wannabe freeflyers with ego issues. Of course, the good FFers won't care either way, they are having too much fun.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I could be wrong, but I think I've seen some video of the PD guys doing CRW on HP canopies. They also do alot of really wicked manouvering around cliffs and forests on mountains. Not to mention team swooping. These guys are definately really comfortable around other canopies and objects in the sky. (Of course it is mostly their own team they are around in the videos, not an Otter load full of wildly different experience and wingloads)

But, I'm not sure those guys are hacks in any discipline.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Because CrW is a lot of fun.

But don't worry, you can do any of the freefall disciplines and still open high for some good "darkside" fun - like downplanes and the like.

Just be careful, the older CrW rigs aren't always maintained as FF friendly. and some aren't very RW friendly either for that matter.

Hey, not to get you off the CRW topic, but I never said ANYTHING about it. We've got some kick-ass CRW people at our DZ and when I'm ready to begin exploring another discipline, I'll definitely reach out to them, as they have already offered to take me up.;)

But for now, I'm going to try to turn points more consistently with the awesome RW folks at our DZ while working on some FF positioning with the other bad-ass fliers per my instructor's direction.

I'm also heading down to a camp next weekend, which will include canopy control, RW and some FF instruction in the tunnel! B| Coolio?

Hey, not to get you off the CRW topic, but I never said ANYTHING about it.

Sure you did - the title reference the "Darkside". That's CrW......;)

You're funny. I was mocking the use of 'darkside' as it was hijacked by wannabe freeflyers that want to feel 'edgy'. i wasn't mocking you, just the stereotype wannabes (it's a vague definition and going to extinction really). CrW was darkside long before ff existed.

I'm a big fan of learning all the disciplines you can bear to. and being decent at all of them and picking one that you want to be very good at. (but wingsuits make me more nervous than toepicks, I'll wait awhile for that.)

Sounds you are on the same track to be an all around skydiver. Good for you. They are all great fun.

wanna see some really fast RW? play the video referenced in the url below - the russians just kicked some serious butt. The link is to skyleague, but on that page is another link to the actual video - you need DivX player installed though

Another cool site is the VRW video archives - I don't have the link handy, but that's great stuff and the wave of the future

lots of crw and canopy swooping vids out there too

http://www.skyleague.com/pages/news/showArticles.php?story=455