ntrprnr

If you could design the perfect rig...

What about some kind of memory foam? Tighten up your straps and let the rig contour to your body shape? Perfect fit each time...

Too much restriction. My back is not in one position the whole time. Sitting in a plane would really fuck up the memory of the foam as well.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

in reply to "Pull-Out reserve pilot chute."
-------------
"Been done - it was called a Woomera. I've seen one covered in cane toad skin ."
------------
"I thought that was a throwout. "

The early Woomera had a hand deployed reserve pilot chute and it was a pull-out .
The loop pile velcro pud was attached to the bottom of the P/C and activation popped the reserve pin as well as pulling out the P/C just like in a main pull out system.

It was popular amoungst experienced conscious skydivers and CRWers for some time. CRW ers liked it cause they could manually put the reserve P/C thru a hole in a wrap if required unlike a spring loaded .
AAD's sorta made the Woomera obsolete although there was a spring loaded reserve version.
This was a very good Ozzie rig in its day and all the hot aussie skydivers had one.

Fun to use in an emergency as well.;)

Pull-Out reserve pilot chute.

..as a second option to the spring loaded.

May not have time to reach.

Would like to hear the arguments for and against that one.

First problem that comes to mind is that a pull out, or any hand deploy, would defeat the use of AADs as we know them (Cypres, Vigil, etc), as they rely on releasing a spring loaded pilot chute.

The other thing is a spring loaded p/c gets off and away when you pull the ripcord and release it. Any kind of a hand deploy is still in your hand until you let it go and you may not be marveously stable. I'd rather not be tumbling ass over teacup with a pull out in my hand and a freebag bouncing around on my back.

Come to think of it, hand deploys of any kind would also defeat RSLs and even Skyhooks.

They HAVE been tried, as far back as 25 - 30 years ago, but mostly for special purposes like stunt rigs for movies, like the James Bond rigs in Moonraker.

And in conclusion, I was thinking maybe of a rig with an "inflatable partner" ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

A jet pack. It can be your jump aircraft and rig all in one nice package. Plus no more waiting for loads, and no more packing. If a cheap enough one ever comes out that can run for a while without using all of it's fuel, I'll be the first on my block to have it. I wonder how much H2O2 is a gallon these days...?

Some way that you could get rid of a pilot chute in tow. Good as our rigs are, having to fire a reserve past a p/c in tow is a horrifying crapshoot - whether or not you cutaway the main first. A two out is a "happy" ending, the bad ending is a fatal entanglement. Prevention is still the best defense, but some kind of a slicer for the bridle might be nice. Downside of course is you want it not to slice all those thousands of other times.

Or a better way that I can't even imagine as yet, sure would be nice if some bold new designer with a simple "why of course !" idea would come along with a fix.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !